ext4 vs f2fs
Hello, on my last install I tried the f2fs system file, I read something somewhere online some articles that f1fs is a bit faster, what are the best and cons between those 2 system files on mobian pp?
I think ext4 is more reliable than f2fs. Quite some people had filesystem corruption with f2fs. I never tried myself f1fs. I just tried btrfs with/without compression and in the end there's no big difference in terms of performance I found.
(03-12-2022, 07:50 AM)vongillus Wrote: I think ext4 is more reliable than f2fs. Quite some people had filesystem corruption with f2fs. I never tried myself f1fs. I just tried btrfs with/without compression and in the end there's no big difference in terms of performance I found.

Interesting thoughts, I will stick to solid ext4 on the next install then.
Just a personal anecdote but I used F2FS with my first distro install and it bricked within a month. Maybe it was a bad card, but I've been using ext4 ever since on the same brand of microSD card and have not had any problems. Speed isn't as important as reliability to me so for that reason alone I'd have to err on the side of using ext4. You can disable journaling on ext4 if you want to eke out a little more performance but then you run into reliability problems again.
I think f2fs could just be a bit behind in the development curve.

and the fact that Mobian still offers the option to use it, says that they have not dropped it completely.

I did not see any performance difference when I have used it (for the Better or Worse).

But I do run pretty much 'out of the box', -- with very few added apps.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team