4GB DDR3 option on A64+ units
Dear Pine64 Development Team,

I had a question regarding memory capacity on the A64+ units. Would it be possible to offer a 4GB DDR3 option for just a couple dollars more over the 2GB option? Our news team recently wrote a story about the Pine A64 and some of our readers have suggested that a 4GB A64+ option would make the device much more usable as a PC. This would also allow the device to make full use of the 64-bit memory address space.

Please let us know what you guys think. Looking forward to your response.
(01-22-2016, 07:13 PM)AuDioFreaK39 Wrote: Dear Pine64 Development Team,

I had a question regarding memory capacity on the A64+ units. Would it be possible to offer a 4GB DDR3 option for just a couple dollars more over the 2GB option? Our news team recently wrote a story about the Pine A64 and some of our readers have suggested that a 4GB A64+ option would make the device much more usable as a PC. This would also allow the device to make full use of the 64-bit memory address space.

The highest DRAM capacity for Allwinner A64 chip is 3GB. If 3GB stil make sense to explore, we will check out on Fenruary time frame once clear up on Becker delivery.
For some applications, 3GB will make a substantial difference over 2GB. This also includes 4K web browsing and streaming. Please consider making the option available, as many of us professionals, developers and enthusiasts will be willing to make the upgrade. Thank you very much.
(01-22-2016, 09:17 PM)AuDioFreaK39 Wrote: For some applications, 3GB will make a substantial difference over 2GB. This also includes 4K web browsing and streaming. Please consider making the option available, as many of us professionals, developers and enthusiasts will be willing to make the upgrade. Thank you very much.

We will explore.
I'm not sure the logistics of making the board 3GB compatible, but if the difference is another $10, I'm sold.
I'm also very interested in a 3GB option and btw still not sure how/when I should opt for the 2GB?
4GB would be awesome, 3GB too. Currently I selected the 2GB model. But I'm sure the 4GB model will be a second model in few years.
Heart PINE64: StackExchange Community => PINE64 Commmunity Proposal.

Proposal Status Link to Forum=> PINE64 Status Forum
Remenber to Upvote Proposed questions. And give a Follow.
Yeah I see what you mean and I really agree on that idea. But can be 2 models, 1 cheap and 1 bit more powerful. So on next versions, will see how all goes first, there could be 2 versions: the cheap one maybe with 1GB or 512MB (technology changes, I hope on few years 1GB would be cheaper) and a second version with 3GB or even 4GB. You know evolutions goes quick. What now 4GB can be "expensive", 2 year later 6GB can be "cheap".
Heart PINE64: StackExchange Community => PINE64 Commmunity Proposal.

Proposal Status Link to Forum=> PINE64 Status Forum
Remenber to Upvote Proposed questions. And give a Follow.
Dear Pine Team,
as opposed to just limiting the onboard RAM, what would you think about a SODIMM slot that could handle up to 4GB sodimm? Or two, for up to 8GB? I think this would make for much more flexibility for end users and developers.
My additional thought - the "sign" enclosure, a touchpad, bluetooth, and a GPS module would make this an ultimate navigation and entertainment module (via linux, most likely) to embed in a car. Smile
(01-22-2016, 07:41 PM)tllim Wrote:
(01-22-2016, 07:13 PM)AuDioFreaK39 Wrote: Dear Pine64 Development Team,

The highest DRAM capacity for Allwinner A64 chip is 3GB. If 3GB stil make sense to explore, we will check out on Fenruary time frame once clear up on Becker delivery.

(01-23-2016, 09:16 AM)rotflmike Wrote: Dear Pine Team,
as opposed to just limiting the onboard RAM, what would you think about a SODIMM slot that could handle up to 4GB sodimm? Or two, for up to 8GB? I think this would make for much more flexibility for end users and developers.
My additional thought - the "sign" enclosure, a touchpad, bluetooth, and a GPS module would make this an ultimate navigation and entertainment module (via linux, most likely) to embed in a car. Smile

tllim has stated that the A64 chip can only address up to 3GB, so, that's the max it can go...