NAS setup: weird noise and reboot with 2 3.5" HDs
Hello,

I'm building a NAS setup with this:

• NAS case
  • RockPro 64 with 4 Gb RAM
  • Axagon PCES-SA2N PCIe => 2 internal SATA III adapter (I didn't took the one from pine store following wiki advice)
  • 2 Western Digital 6TB "WD Blue" 3.5" hard drives, that I plan to mirror with RAID 1
  • SATA and power cables from NAS case
  • tall profile heatsink
  • 80 mm fan
  • a 12V/5A power (from pine store)
  • WIFI/BT module
  • trying Armbian bullseye, I'm mainly willing to run OpenMedia Vault, and if possible some graphical software (like Kodi)

But when I'm booting, there is a loud noise coming from the HDs, and the board is rebooting often. On first boot I could see the 2 disks but I didn't try to mount (the time to install), and now it's rebooting each time. It looks like it's underpowered, but the 12V/5A power supply should be enough.

I've tried with 1 drive only, it seems to boot normally, without noise.

What can I do? Any check I can do? Any reason that can make the HDD under powered? I can post a video if it can help the diagnostic.

Thanks
Each of those WD Blue 5,400rpm 6TB drives draws peak 1.75A each according to the specifications.

I think you have two choices: find HDDs that draw less peak amps

-or-

Uprate/upgrade the power supply to something that supplies more than approx 7A. The general rule of thumb used for the figure was 3.5A for the RockPro64 + 2x 1.75A for the HDDs = 7A+.

Beware, I am unable to be certain that will even work.
You would need external drives powered from an external source. Depending how quickly they spin up from idle when performing read/write tasks you may be having trouble there. To avoid this you might be wiser to use SSD .
(02-11-2022, 07:00 PM)lot378 Wrote: Each of those WD Blue 5,400rpm 6TB drives draws peak 1.75A each according to the specifications.

I think you have two choices: find HDDs that draw less peak amps

-or-

Uprate/upgrade the power supply to something that supplies more than approx 7A. The general rule of thumb used for the figure was 3.5A for the RockPro64 + 2x 1.75A for the HDDs = 7A+.

Beware, I am unable to be certain that will even work.

Thanks for your answer. It's actually written `5VDC: 0.38A  12VDC: 0.28A` on the HD sticker, where did you got this value of 1.75A? According to the sticker, it should be fine.

I've tried with one disk, it's working. But then I've tried with one disk still, but the other one, and the noise and issues are there again. Thus I actually think that one of the disks is defective. I'll send it back to the seller, and will try again. I'm keeping this thread open to give my feedback if it's working or not.

(02-12-2022, 06:49 PM)Rocklobster Wrote: You would need external drives powered from an external source. Depending how quickly they spin up from idle when performing read/write tasks you may be having trouble there. To avoid this you might be wiser to use SSD .

Thanks for your answer. Sure SDD is a better option, but it's also far more expensive, and it would be difficult to have such a big storage. I need a big storage and RAID1 make it double the price, that's why I've gone with the HDD way, and I can go with 6 TO.
Some update:

I had indeed a defective hard-drive which has been replaced by the seller. I've placed the new one, and it's working fine now with the 12V 5A power supply from pine store.

I'm currently doing the initial RAID 1 sync, thus it will take a few hours before I can really use it, but it looks good to me now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NAS Setup: Hdds PSU external power option Robotik 1 1,662 07-18-2022, 10:10 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
Thumbs Up Generic Watchdog for Reset/Reboot belveder79 1 2,250 12-30-2021, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Huskydog
  GNSS noise marcink 0 1,495 06-23-2021, 05:25 AM
Last Post: marcink
  very low buzz noise LMM 4 5,290 12-18-2020, 03:04 AM
Last Post: LMM
  rockpro 64 does not boot up automatically after software reboot rahulsharma 12 13,198 04-17-2020, 09:00 AM
Last Post: pgwipeout
  Problems with maskrom OTG USB in Linux - Device not responding to setup address nutilius 0 1,718 08-31-2019, 11:40 AM
Last Post: nutilius