PackageKit daemon has crashed
I get this when I try and run the system updates - freshly unboxed PinePhone Pro, not made any changes.
(02-08-2022, 12:07 PM)dgiffin Wrote: I get this when I try and run the system updates - freshly unboxed PinePhone Pro, not made any changes.

hi

did you try this?
Code:
sudo pinephonepro-post-install

and them try update.
Thanks for the suggestion, I just ran that, restarted the phone and ran Discovery unfortunately I got the same error :-(

I thought pacman might work better (pacman -Syu) but initially it failed because Discovery had left the lock file in place, but after I removed that pacman run fine - thanks!

(Wish the keyboard on the case worked, the on-screen keyboard is a bit of a pain for terminal work)
o nice.

glad that works some how.

Well, i know that the keyboard onscreen have some things, with time will work perfectly i don't have rush. what i do, i have a mini-keyboard usb+otg and plug on the pp or ppp and if you have and keyboard, a normal one can do the same.

cu
Hi ,

I am having the same issue and ran "sudo pinephonepro-post-install" but I still get the same message. Any idea on the next step. I am very new to this. IS it a matter of reinstalling the operating system?
(03-10-2022, 10:43 PM)S H Wrote: Hi ,

I am having the same issue and ran "sudo pinephonepro-post-install" but I still get the same message. Any idea on the next step. I am very new to this. IS it a matter of reinstalling the operating system?

Try the following command:
Code:
sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

I had the same issue and noticed the error message "unable to lock database". You can safely delete this lock file if no instances of pacman are running.
(03-14-2022, 05:32 AM)spartan Wrote:

Code:

I had the same issue and noticed the error message "unable to lock database". You can safely delete this lock file if no instances of pacman are running.

Hi, thank you for the help! I was able to update the system but "failed to update one package, unexpected system error" I reran the update and got the same message again. what do you think is happening and what do I do next?  Also can you please explain first, how did you know I got the "unable to lock database"? Second, what the heck does the deleting of pacman do? and third, can you recommend a recourse for me so I can start understanding this program and its command lines?

I hope I'm not throwing a lot at you at once Smile
(03-16-2022, 08:38 PM)S H Wrote:

Code:

Hi, thank you for the help! I was able to update the system but "failed to update one package, unexpected system error" I reran the update and got the same message again. what do you think is happening and what do I do next?  Also can you please explain first, how did you know I got the "unable to lock database"? Second, what the heck does the deleting of pacman do? and third, can you recommend a recourse for me so I can start understanding this program and its command lines?

I can help with some of that. It's not deleting pacman, but deleting a lock file. It is important that only one instance of pacman is allowed to edit the database at a time. It uses one of the common methods for signalling in these cases - the presence or absence of a file with a specific name is used to indicate whether another process has 'locked' the database. The problem occurs if pacman crashes or is unexpectedly terminated before it has finished with the database and removed the lock file - the file is still present, telling other pacman instances that the db is still locked, but there is no process left to unlock it by removing the file. To recover the situation you manually delete the lock file.
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title...n_Overview
(03-17-2022, 03:34 AM)wibble Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 08:38 PM)S H Wrote:

Code:

I can help with some of that. It's not deleting pacman, but deleting a lock file. It is important that only one instance of pacman is allowed to edit the database at a time. It uses one of the common methods for signalling in these cases - the presence or absence of a file with a specific name is used to indicate whether another process has 'locked' the database. The problem occurs if pacman crashes or is unexpectedly terminated before it has finished with the database and removed the lock file - the file is still present, telling other pacman instances that the db is still locked, but there is no process left to unlock it by removing the file. To recover the situation you manually delete the lock file.
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title...n_Overview

Thank you for the explanation, that does make sense. It probably happened when the phone was updating and it ran out of battery (before I figured out the screen was remaining on and that I needed a 3 amp power supply) now I need to find out how to get around "failed to update one package, unexpected system error" there were 9 updates and It doesn't appear that any of them were installed (maybe the "package" includes all 9) so I'm still left with the original problem of not being able to update the OS (factory installed Manjaro) on the EMMC.

EDIT: After reading https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title...n_Overview I ran "sudo pacman -Syu" and the phone updated (a lot of code lines went by). The article stated Pacman can only be used from the command line. So my question is what is the point of having a GUI update choice that may or may not work when the update has to be run from the command line? Is it just a bug that prevents the GUI update from completing the update?
I didn't realize you had asked me a question. I see that wibble already answered your question.

(03-17-2022, 10:53 AM)S H Wrote: So my question is what is the point of having a GUI update choice that may or may not work when the update has to be run from the command line? Is it just a bug that prevents the GUI update from completing the update?

Discover should use packagekit to upgrade the system or install software. If there is a problem, it is with packagekit.

(03-17-2022, 10:53 AM)S H Wrote: After reading https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title...n_Overview I ran "sudo pacman -Syu" and the phone updated (a lot of code lines went by).

When you ran "sudo pacman -Syu", you should have been prompted for a password. Do you wonder why you are not prompted for the password when you do the same thing with Discover? packagekit does the job here. You may have already solved the problem and are no longer interested, but your question may be answered if you look into the difference between what sudo allows you to do and what packagekit allows you to do.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keyboard Case Power Management Daemon estokes 11 5,794 04-19-2022, 07:41 AM
Last Post: PineFLOWn