Arch linux phosh - no cellular with T-Mobile sim
I’ve been playing around with Archlinux phosh without a sim card. Today, i decided to put my T-mobile sim card into the phone. But, it never recognized it. Cellular symbol on screen has a ? mark in it.

Anyone have any thoughts? Do i need to use a fresh sd card and boot it with the sim card in place? Something else?

Thanks for any help with this.
Pinephone Pro enthusiast and SUPER-HYPED for PineTab 2! PT2 is AWESOME!
Former electrical engineer. Current rancher.

I know a lot about a few things, a little about a lot of things and am ignorant of an unknown number of things.
(02-03-2022, 11:53 AM)Conjada Wrote: I’ve been playing around with Archlinux phosh without a sim card. Today, i decided to put my T-mobile sim card into the phone. But, it never recognized it. Cellular symbol on screen has a ? mark in it.

Anyone have any thoughts? Do i need to use a fresh sd card and boot it with the sim card in place? Something else?

FWIIW:  Inserted a Mint Sim into a new PPP earlier this week.  With the Manjaro it was delivered with, updated with 312 updates with "sudo pacman -Syu" over WiFi.  Mint Sim worked immediately and reported it was on the T-Mobile network.
(02-03-2022, 11:53 AM)Conjada Wrote: I’ve been playing around with Archlinux phosh without a sim card. Today, i decided to put my T-mobile sim card into the phone. But, it never recognized it. Cellular symbol on screen has a ? mark in it.

Really not sure on this one. I am using T-Mobile on Arch Phosh and it is working great. Maybe try re-inserting or re-seating the sim...
View my projects at: https://gitlab.com/users/The3DmaN/projects or at the3dman.gitlab.io you can also find me on Matrix in many of the Pine related channels.
Appreciate the reply. Im trying again, starting from scratch with a new sd card. Just finished updating, but still have the question mark on the sim card. So, not sure whats going on either.

ETA: and i did reseat the sim. Using a nano sim in the micro adapter. But, still nothing…

I know a lot about a few things, a little about a lot of things and am ignorant of an unknown number of things.
===> In Settings > is the 'Mobile Network' turned on ? (top right corner)

+

Network : ________

ModemDetails : _______

I have tried that Distro many times, it has always (for a long time) ====> Passed the "Out of the Box" test.
Voice & Text should work with just the sim card installed, --- Add the APN info --- and data should work.

Fill-in settings blanks, --> Regions & Languages - can affect text messaging. (some distro's pre-fill this)
The time settings can affect many things
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-04-2022, 01:23 AM)bcnaz Wrote: ===>  In Settings  >  is the  'Mobile Network'  turned on  ?  (top right corner)

+

Network :    ________

ModemDetails :  _______

I have tried that Distro many times,  it has always  (for a long time)  ====> Passed the  "Out of the Box"  test.
Voice & Text should work with just the sim card installed,  ---  Add the APN  info ---  and data should work.

Fill-in  settings blanks,  --> Regions & Languages - can affect text messaging.  (some distro's pre-fill this)
                                                The time settings can affect many things

All great ideas… at my last try i did forget to line up actual location to time and date settings. I thought all the APN settings and others were stored on tmobile sims. But, i will check to see if they are filled. Thanks for the suggestions.

That is kinda the problem, SOMETIMES they are, ===> so they get overlooked often.

I think back when I was test driving a 'Simple Mobile' Prepaid sim card, it "tried" to auto-load the APN several times, but it did not work,
I had to look it up and enter it myself.

The Data did work, as the name implies, that is a T-Mobile reseller.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Haven’t been able to spend much time on it. But, it kind of looks like I have a problem of some sort. With the nano sim installed using two different adapters, Settings says “No SIM. Insert a SIM card to use this modem”. Sim works fine in my fruit phone.

ETA: i don’t see any physical problem with the contacts for sim. Is it possible that i have somehow ignorantly crashed the modem firmware? Just guessing and looking for a plan of attack on the problem…

(02-17-2022, 04:55 PM)Conjada Wrote: Haven’t been able to spend much time on it. But, it kind of looks like I have a problem of some sort. With the nano sim installed using two different adapters, Settings says “No SIM. Insert a SIM card to use this modem”. Sim works fine in my fruit phone.

ETA: i don’t see any physical problem with the contacts for sim. Is it possible that i have somehow ignorantly crashed the modem firmware? Just guessing and looking for a plan of attack on the problem…

If you suspect the modem, you can try directly talking to the Quectel and see what's up. 

Or it could be the simplest of things like SIM not really seated / lined up.  I find the microSIM "sleeve", or whatever it's called that adapts the size, to be unforgiving.  I have to get it all lined up just right for a new SIM to really be seated in the socket.  Takes several attempts -- despite having small fingers!  (Unlike other folks, I'm not ashamed of small hands Big Grin )
PPv1.2a running PMOS ... almost a daily driver!
(02-17-2022, 08:09 PM)vap0rtranz Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 04:55 PM)Conjada Wrote: Haven’t been able to spend much time on it. But, it kind of looks like I have a problem of some sort. With the nano sim installed using two different adapters, Settings says “No SIM. Insert a SIM card to use this modem”. Sim works fine in my fruit phone.

If you suspect the modem, you can try directly talking to the Quectel and see what's up. 

Or it could be the simplest of things like SIM not really seated / lined up.  I find the microSIM "sleeve", or whatever it's called that adapts the size, to be unforgiving.  I have to get it all lined up just right for a new SIM to really be seated in the socket.  Takes several attempts -- despite having small fingers!  (Unlike other folks, I'm not ashamed of small hands Big Grin )

Thanks. I'll keep trying and will learn a little more about the modem. I've had the sim in and out many times and using two different adapters (the one that came with the phone and the one that came with the sim) and it has not picked it up, even once. I'll give talking to the modem a try. I'll be really happy when my keyboard gets here. Too easy to make mistakes typing on the screen... lol. Thanks, again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 828 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Onscreen keyboard missing Arch Plasma Libreoffice DaForest 0 578 09-05-2023, 07:03 PM
Last Post: DaForest
  US Mobile...won't support PPP - SOLVED jovval 1 1,027 07-01-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Manjaro Phosh - Tiny Blue Indicator Light - Blinking ArchiMark 0 735 06-09-2023, 12:55 PM
Last Post: ArchiMark
  Pine Phone Pro: Mobian+plasma mobile GabrieleMax 2 1,559 04-30-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Online Accounts (Phosh) Barugon 1 1,185 11-10-2022, 11:24 PM
Last Post: Barugon
  Phosh remote desktop Barugon 5 2,967 09-06-2022, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Barugon
Lightbulb Manjaro Phosh vs. Manjaro Plasma on Pinephone Pro? danimations 10 7,656 07-15-2022, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Fred Zyphal
  [Arch Phosh] Asian characters not displaying bobjrsenior 0 768 06-08-2022, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bobjrsenior
  PinePhone Pro working on Lapdock using Arch Plasma hockleyj 5 2,997 05-27-2022, 05:18 PM
Last Post: hockleyj