Waydroid
Does anyone have Waydroid running in postmarketOS on a PinePhone or PinePhone Pro?

As I wrote as a comment in the issue WayDroid: lets package it for postmarketOS, it doesn't work for me.
(01-22-2022, 04:10 AM)feklee Wrote: Does anyone have Waydroid running in postmarketOS on a PinePhone or PinePhone Pro?

As I wrote as a comment in the issue WayDroid: lets package it for postmarketOS, it doesn't work for me.

Yes I have.  In fact I find it works better on PMOS Phosh than on any other distro/DE I've tried it on.  The instructions are here - I just followed them and it worked fine.

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Waydroid

Be aware though that the first time you start a Waydroid session, it takes AGES to come up - 15 or 20 minutes.  The only thing I've found doesn't work so well is location.  I installed OSMAnd, and although it correctly found that I was in the West Midlands in the UK when deciding which map to download first, when I pressed the button for my exact location, it seemed unable to find it.

Hope that helps.
(02-02-2022, 12:20 PM)MarkF Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 04:10 AM)feklee Wrote: Does anyone have Waydroid running in postmarketOS on a PinePhone or PinePhone Pro?

Yes I have.  In fact I find it works better on PMOS Phosh than on any other distro/DE I've tried it on.  The instructions are here - I just followed them and it worked fine.

Is that on a PinePhone or on a PinePhone Pro? Also, are you on Stable or Edge?

With Phosh instead of SXMO, I can at least get waydroid app list to show up something.  That indeed takes a while to come up.  For the first few minutes, it only reports errors:

Code:
pine64-pinephonepro:~$ waydroid app list
[11:02:41] Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again...
[11:02:42] Failed to get service waydroidplatform, trying again...

Then I get:
Code:
Name: Settings
packageName: com.android.settings
categories:
        android.intent.category.LAUNCHER

And finally:

Code:
categories:
Name: Files
packageName: com.android.documentsui
categories:
Name: Contacts
packageName: com.android.contacts
categories:
Name: Recorder
packageName: org.lineageos.recorder
categories:
Name: Gallery
packageName: com.android.gallery3d
categories:
Name: Browser
packageName: org.lineageos.jelly
categories:
Name: Music
packageName: org.lineageos.eleven
categories:
Name: Calendar
packageName: org.lineageos.etar
categories:
categories:
Name: Calculator
packageName: com.android.calculator2
categories:
Name: Email
packageName: com.android.email
categories:
Name: Clock
packageName: com.android.deskclock
categories:
Name: System Tracing
packageName: com.android.traceur
categories:
        android.intent.category.INFO

Now I try to launch the settings:

Code:
pine64-pinephonepro:~$ waydroid app launch com.android.setting

This renders the screen unresponsive. Possibly Waydroid puts a transparent window in front of everything. Anyhow, nothing interesting ever appears. Eventually I kill the session via SSH to get back my screen.

Quote:Be aware though that the first time you start a Waydroid session, it takes AGES to come up - 15 or 20 minutes.

To show the app list, of from when it is available to when an app appears on screen?

Maybe I should be more patient, although I expect the Pro to be considerably faster than the regular PinePhone.

Quote:The only thing I've found doesn't work so well is location.

luxury problem   Big Grin

Anyhow, thanks for your report. It’s good to know that it can work, although I suspect you’re using a regular PinePhone, and then it’s not applicable to me.
The installation of Waydroid on my PinePhone (not Pro version) went well. Waydroid on postmarketOS starts fast. My problem is that when the Android (GUI) image pops up, it only uses the top half of the screen. I can still see the bottom half of my wallpaper.

Is there a fix for this? I tried "waydroid prop set persistent.waydroid.height_padding 65" with different values than "65", but there is no change.
(03-22-2022, 09:52 AM)tk1107 Wrote: The installation of Waydroid on my PinePhone (not Pro version) went well. Waydroid on postmarketOS starts fast. My problem is that when the Android (GUI) image pops up, it only uses the top half of the screen. I can still see the bottom half of my wallpaper.

Is there a fix for this? I tried "waydroid prop set persistent.waydroid.height_padding 65" with different values than "65", but there is no change.

I noticed, and someone else mentioned it to me, that when starting Waydroid from the terminal, and the Gnome keyboard is up, that empty space beneath my Android image is about the size of that keyboard. I also noticed that if I start Waydroid with the Waydroid icon on the PinePhone screen, Waydroid starts up and displays normally.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to choose which Waydroid Apps can appear on PostmaketOS Home Screen? Avisando 6 2,103 05-28-2023, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Avisando
  Video not playing in waydroid catalyst 1 1,766 09-16-2022, 02:58 AM
Last Post: olyavi