cedar_ve driver not able to allocate memory
(12-21-2021, 07:49 AM)tvall Wrote: which kernel are you on? im running the 5.15.4 edge kernel, and when i load the module, all i get is "sunxi cedar version 0.1 " and nothing else from it.

Code:
root@pinecube:~# uname -a
Linux pinecube 5.10.60-sunxi #21.08.2 SMP Tue Sep 14 16:28:44 UTC 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux
This is image fetched from https://redirect.armbian.com/region/AS/p...nt_minimal

I've faced the same problem. There are two main blocking things that disallow cedar module to start.
If it is the only message you see in dmesg, than "sunxi cedar version 0.1 " 

So the driver could not find the device in the device tree description. Refer to my first message in this thread. I can explain how to do this in details later.

When you update the device tree, it then it starts to initialize, but could not fetch as much as 80M of RAM that is probably hardcoded in that version that you are trying to run.

The full initialization at my setup looks like this:
Code:
[    7.986773] sunxi cedar version 0.1
------- this is the only message if tree does not contain "ve" node.
For now NO /dev/cedar_dev will exist.

[    7.986968] [cedar]: install start!!!
[    7.987035] cedar_ve: cedar-ve the get irq is 30
------- these are the only messages if requested RAM block is too large OR cma-pool is not setup
For now /dev/cedar_dev already WILL exist, but in inoperable state, don't try to run encoding.

[    7.987059] sunxi-cedar 1c0e000.video-engine: assigned reserved memory node linux,cma
[    7.987356] [cedar]: Success claim SRAM
[    8.050600] [cedar]: memory allocated at address PA: 45500000, VA: C5500000
[    8.050615] [cedar]: install end!!!
------- the full initialization.
/dev/cedar_dev exist and operable.

I can provide the tree config and modified cedar_ve.ko binary and you can play with it. It is compatible at least with armbian image that a posted above.

But the procedure of compilation took me a lot of time and I could not reproduce it fully.

PS. Device tree is the file /boot/dtb/sun8i-s3-pinecube.dtb

Messages In This Thread
RE: cedar_ve driver not able to allocate memory - by cooler - 12-21-2021, 10:27 AM