Welcome me as a new user!!
Hello
This evening I ordered an Pine Phone with convergence and looking forward to getting it up and running. I am no computer programmer but have been running Linux Mint on my Desktop for the past 8 years. At first it was very foreign with me coming from the Windows perspective but working through all the new terminology and concepts I am now enjoying Linux Mint and now delving more into the Command Line.

I expect the same trials when my Pine Phone arrives having been an Apple iPhone user for many many years. i do not care for social media, banking using my iPhone, Facebook or any of the apps. I want most of all privacy and the ability NOT to be tracked and data mined and a simple phone/text in a Linux environment.

That is my story.
Welcome, Scooterman!

While you wait for your pp you can watch some videos to decide which distro you want to install.
Definitively install something else on the integrated memory (eMMC; its speed is 3x to 4x times higher than running an OS from an SD card), except for the unlikely case that you find manjaro + plasma mobile actually usable.

As far as I can tell there are actually 4 usable OS available right now:
Arch + Phosh
Mobian + Phosh
Manjaro + Phosh
Postmarket OS (usually called pmos) + Phosh

I myself use arch+phosh; advantages I see there:
* bleeding edge rolling release (comes with its own risks, I update my backup before installing 'dangerous-sounding' updates
* the AUR gives access to many user-created packages
* the distro seems to be 'fast'/'snappy' -- compared with Manjaro + Plasma Mobile
* I like pacman; however that is no primary reason for me, just be aware that arch uses pacman, as Manjaro does; Mobian uses apt; pmos uses ?
(10-21-2021, 02:53 AM)lacriz Wrote: Welcome, Scooterman!

While you wait for your pp you can watch some videos to decide which distro you want to install.
Definitively install something else on the integrated memory (eMMC; its speed is 3x to 4x times higher than running an OS from an SD card), except for the unlikely case that you find manjaro + plasma mobile actually usable.

As far as I can tell there are actually 4 usable OS available right now:
Arch + Phosh
Mobian + Phosh
Manjaro + Phosh
Postmarket OS (usually called pmos) + Phosh

I myself use arch+phosh; advantages I see there:
* bleeding edge rolling release (comes with its own risks, I update my backup before installing 'dangerous-sounding' updates
* the AUR gives access to many user-created packages
* the distro seems to be 'fast'/'snappy' -- compared with Manjaro + Plasma Mobile
* I like pacman; however that is no primary reason for me, just be aware that arch uses pacman, as Manjaro does; Mobian uses apt; pmos uses ?

Thanks for your information and welcoming! Where are the video's to watch?
+100 to the Arch with Phosh! Once again, Thant you @Danct12

The repos that Danct12 maintains is very helpful.

Here is a couple of apps that recommend using.
sudo pacman -s gedit (text editor)
sudo pacman -s pcmanfm (great file manager)
sudo pacman -s vlc (play videos, mp3)
sudo pacman  -s modem-manager-gui (remove the MMS that clog up the modem)
sudo pacman -s syncthing (Dropbox alternate)

I could not use the stock keyboard layout. So I created my own see:
https://github.com/mikeshenson/Phosh-Squ...d-Keyboard
Hi @Scooterman,

Noted your last comment "I want most of all privacy and the ability NOT to be tracked and data mined and a simple phone/text in a Linux environment."

When you get your Pinephone, a recent Blog post I organized for Pinephone may offer ideas to get you you started with various ideas/options in Pinephone privacy: https://politictech.wordpress.com/2021/0...s-writeup/

Most of all, Welcome! Smile
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Daily Driver Club ]

Blog/Tutorials
(10-21-2021, 03:28 AM)Scooterman Wrote: Where are the video's to watch?

On youtube Smile

The only bookmark I have handy is Martijn's channel (I think he is part of the PinePhone product development team): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4UXU2Z...lLv1Yt1UMQ
Welcome to the Free World. Smile

Being that Mint is a Debian based distro, you will likely feel more at home with Mobian, which is similarly Debian based.

I'm also actually curious how long it ends up taking your PinePhone to arrive, what with current shipping backups.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user. Very excited as this is my first linux phone...have a few questions 98cwitr 4 154 05-25-2022, 06:31 AM
Last Post: 98cwitr
  First time user experiencing weird keyboard issues kendew 5 3,574 06-19-2021, 08:14 AM
Last Post: rotwang
  First time user really confused - need a how-to binkyd 8 6,404 07-21-2020, 04:21 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  A newest user in Pine64 Aliko 1 2,665 04-19-2020, 10:33 PM
Last Post: tllim
  User Screen Black After Changing Power Settings 0b51Gekko 2 3,066 07-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Last Post: 0b51Gekko
  The Debian Jessie User Accounts? jesse1234 6 4,986 01-20-2019, 06:07 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  debian user name & password Kaupy 1 2,707 10-08-2016, 12:18 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777