Audio codecs
Music 
Hi

Will the Pine64 support DTS and/or DTS-HD? That would be really nice to now, considering I want to use it as part of my home-theatre setup.
[quote pid='928' dateline='1453362833']
Will the Pine64 support DTS and/or DTS-HD? That would be really nice to now, considering I want to use it as part of my home-theatre setup.
[/quote]

For hardware point of view, Pine A64 has the capability to decode DTS and DTS-HD. However, whether support DTS decoding is solely depends on media player software such as Kodi. In general, I don't like to answer such question due to patent concern if I answer wrongly. The Pine A64 is a general purpose single board computer just like your PC.
(01-21-2016, 02:07 AM)tllim Wrote: For hardware point of view, Pine A64 has the capability to decode DTS and DTS-HD. However, whether support DTS decoding is solely depends on media player software such as Kodi. In general, I don't like to answer such question due to patent concern if I answer wrongly. The Pine A64 is a general purpose single board computer just like your PC.

Ok, thanks for your reply. It did clear up a few things for me. So thank you Smile
Music 
DTS and or Dolby are decoded by thier respective chips usually located in a home theater reciever (or anywhere else if a mfg wants to pay the licence fee to use the decoder chips) eg: reciever, soundbar,etc.  The media contains the audio of one the other or both. It is encrypted, and encrypted all along the transmission path by HDMI (HDCP). In the case of Pine64, with the appropriate player software the audio will output along the HDMI  path (HDCP Protected) and to the appropriate decoder chip (through HDMI cables)  (either Dolby or DTS) where ever the chips are located.  If the encyption path can not be established and verified you get the default stereo output.

Note 1: The Pine64 contains no such chips to decode DTS or DOLBY audio, only ability to transmit the audio stream and video stream along an HDMI transmission path.

Note 2: If the audio on the source media is not protected than the audio will still travel through the HDMI transmission path to the DTS and or DOLBY Decoder chips and be processed by said chips. The audio signal(s) themselves usually are protected by a different standard and have a complex data structure because they carry many different channels and are multiplexed into a data stream.

Note 3: Most (if not all) commercial content is copy protected Video and Audio.  Homebrew recordings usually do not have this protection unless you set it up for protection, This is called "Clear" signal. If Clear signal Video and Audio, HDMI circuity will not activate and encrypt the transmission path, but the audio is still in a complex state and if you wish for Dolby or DTS you have to feed the signal to a device that contains the decoder chips else you get stereo.

Hope this helps a little,

This is a very complex subject.

If you wish to study it further, look up HDMI , HDCP, DTS, DOLBY on wikipedia...

A little extra info about the HDMI STD....
Current Specs:  HDMI 2.0a was released on April 8, 2015 and added support for high dynamic range (HDR) video

HDCP 2.x features a new authentication protocol...  Need HDCP 2.2 (Feb 13, 2013) or better to comply with the new full 4K UHD content , Sorry if you shelled out big $$$ for  new 4K UHD Equp and it does not contain the latest chips for the latest encryption, all the new content just may not work as anticipated  or default to a lower resolution.

It's not firmware updatable, it's in the chips. Why did they do this.....  It leaked and it's high value content they are trying to protect it.
Thank you, DeepBlu. You most definately answered the question for me. Smile
In general, I don't like to answer such question due to patent concern if I answer wrongly. The Pine A64, Graperain 6818 is a general purpose single board computer just like your PC.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Audio DAC pot board nejec 2 6,356 12-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Last Post: nejec
  Analogue audio quality bobhund 10 16,241 02-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Last Post: blktiger