Wipe out eMMC before flashing new OS?
Hi,

do I need to wipe out the eMMC before flashing a new OS to it?

In fact, I didn't do it, and after booting from the eMMC lsblk reports, in addition to the expected mmcblk2p1 and mmcblk2p2, two additional entries: mmcblk2boot0 and mmcblk2boot1. I wonder if those are left over from the previous OS...

Many thanks in advance!!
(10-03-2021, 11:30 AM)zkajdan Wrote: In fact, I didn't do it, and after booting from the eMMC lsblk reports, in addition to the expected mmcblk2p1 and mmcblk2p2, two additional entries: mmcblk2boot0 and mmcblk2boot1. I wonder if those are left over from the previous OS...

According to wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Pinebook_Pro#eMMC_information:

"The eMMC storage will show up as multiple block devices:
  • mmcblk1boot0 - eMMC standard boot0 partition, may be 4MB
  • mmcblk1boot1 - eMMC standard boot1 partition, may be 4MB
  • mmcblk1rpmb - eMMC standard secure data partition, may be 16MB
  • mmcblk1 - This block contains the user areas
Only the last is usable as regular storage device in the Pinebook Pro. [...]"

The Wiki contains an overwhelming wealth of information and is a bit hard to digest on the fly. 
Takes some time and patience to get acquainted with the information it offers.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & Pinephone (Braveheart)
(10-03-2021, 11:30 AM)zkajdan Wrote: Hi,

In fact, I didn't do it, and after booting from the eMMC lsblk reports, in addition to the expected mmcblk2p1 and mmcblk2p2, two additional entries: mmcblk2boot0 and mmcblk2boot1. I wonder if those are left over from the previous OS...

Many thanks in advance!!

I'd recommend at  least formatting before flashing an install.

A zero wipe can take quite a bit of time.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-03-2021, 07:13 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 11:30 AM)zkajdan Wrote: Hi,

Many thanks in advance!!

I'd recommend at  least formatting before flashing an install.

A zero wipe can take quite a bit of time.

Thanks a lot @bcnaz !

Just to be sure, - by formatting you mean creating a partition and a filesystem (a combination of parted and mkfs), right?

By wiping I meant dd if=/dev/zero etc. (without any partitioning, because the new image already is partitioned (and has a filesystem)?

I do have the time for the latter, just wanted to make sure there is no harm done using dd on the eMMC :-)

Many thanks!
when I format I include the whole disk so there is just one partition.

For some reason Manjaro seems harder to record over, so I zero wipe any sd cards before flashing a new OS to any cards that previously had Manjaro on them.

I am lucky in that I do have multiple Pine phones, so I have one that I use as my daily driver,
and several that I can test without the worry of the system 'breaking' as those are just my 'test' phones.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-04-2021, 09:20 PM)bcnaz Wrote: when I format I include the whole disk so there is just one partition.

For some reason Manjaro seems harder to record over,  so I zero wipe any sd cards before flashing a new OS to any cards that previously had Manjaro on them.

I am lucky in that I do have multiple Pine phones,  so I have one that I use as my daily driver,
  and several that I can test without the worry of the system 'breaking' as those are just my 'test' phones.

Thanks a lot, again, @bcnaz !

Yes, the old OS was indeed the Manjaro the phone came with ... so I'll use dd on it.

> I am lucky in that I do have multiple Pine phones...

Sounds useful! In fact I already have 2 phones (although I'm just starting out) - with my first, I immediately ruined the SIM slot because I fell into the infamous use-nano-SIM-with adapter trap ... (I found the warnings against doing that only after I'd ruined it ...)
(10-04-2021, 09:20 PM)bcnaz Wrote: when I format I include the whole disk so there is just one partition.

For some reason Manjaro seems harder to record over,  so I zero wipe any sd cards before flashing a new OS to any cards that previously had Manjaro on them.

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend formatting or even writing over with zeros before flashing a new OS? And what is "harder" with formatting a disk with Manjaro on it? I've never had any problems flashing a new OS that formatting would have solved (since flashing itself is already reformatting I guess).
I'm not too tech savvy,  but I have flashed a lot of sd cards since I got my first PBP  and the Pine phones after.

Just from my personal use and what works for me.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-05-2021, 01:40 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I'm not too tech savvy,  but I have flashed a lot of sd cards since I got my first PBP  and the Pine phones after.

Just from my personal use and what works for me.

Thanks, I would still be interested what kind of problems you encountered that led you to formatting before flashing and what was different with a Manjaro installation if you want to share.
Hello, 

I am very new to Linux…

Was wondering if anyone knew the commands for flashing an SD card from the actual pine phone itself???

Appreciate any help, because currently the phone is unusable…. It came with Manjaro….

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question PinephonePro can't Flashing to the eMMC ricardo 0 728 08-21-2022, 05:51 AM
Last Post: ricardo
  How to replace the home folder on eMMC ragreenburg 2 1,736 03-31-2022, 02:19 PM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  Problem Flashing the modem Firmware loreson 0 1,164 12-22-2021, 10:31 AM
Last Post: loreson
  Emmc drive gone? Flashing with Jump Drive muemmel 2 3,413 11-12-2020, 05:40 PM
Last Post: hiimtye
  Install OS directly to eMMC? tahayassen 11 15,935 10-10-2020, 03:56 PM
Last Post: electricprism
  USB Mass Storage is functional and makes EMMC installs very easy mestermagyar 1 4,050 03-15-2020, 03:43 AM
Last Post: mestermagyar