NO Carrier needed ?
Can Pine supply us with a 'Communication Device' that does not require a "Carrier" or other type of 'Man in the Middle' ?

Even just a few miles of range could be a good starting point.

When the cell service goes down or gets too many users,  you cannot communicate with anyone.
  While normally service is ok 'here'    there are times when there is no service here. >(sometimes for hours)

I do like my Pine phone(s) a lot,
But I would like to have some kind of personal communication device(s) that do not rely on outside sources to function.

Huh
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
One of (many) benefits of XMPP (Jabber) is that you can use it without a cellular carrier.  It is like email in that regard (but XMPP is more for Instant Messaging).  Of course, both of those are protocols and not platforms.

You still need some Internet connection, but Wi-Fi is available in many places nowadays.  There have been more than a few times I was traveling and did not have cellular service, but I was still able to communicate via XMPP (after connecting to Wi-Fi).

For voice there is VOIP, you would need to set something up like your own telephony server, but all the pieces are there and available in F/LOSS.  Even video calling. 

Again, protocols and not platforms. Seeing a pattern here? Wink

If you are talking about not even needing Internet, well you better start attending your local HAM club and start learning about radio propagation...  Big Grin

As far as consumer devices from PINE64, maybe the Lora stuff they are working on (announced in blog) might be up your alley. Now, Lora is a protocol, but unfortunately a proprietary one, which has me scratching my head why they have chosen it over open alternatives.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
I am looking for direct, device to device...

NO third party involved.... NO wifi NO internet.

? Maybe 'Family Radio' bands ? or something similar ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Yes, the FRS bands can be used (legally) without any license, at least in US. If those are good enough for you, maybe that's all you need. More power and frequencies can be transmitted upon (again, legally) by obtaining your amateur radio license, the first level of which is not hard to obtain at all. And of course you can listen all you like without any license at all (legally). But amateur bands must also remain unencrypted (legally).
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark theme needed Chief 0 636 09-03-2022, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Chief