sxmo improvements
Hi there is there anyone else that uses sxmo?

I was using it on my pinephone for the last two days, and i actually enjoy it.

The reason I like it is because it seems quicker than all the other operating systems,

I wonder if there is a way to make the keyboard automatically pop out when using browser or anything. I think if it had this function, it would be a much better experience. Also a automatic power manager for the screen. Gets old to have to manually turn it off. I do like the concept tho.
I do use it, same reason as yours, too. I agree many functions are quite primitive but it's a lot of fun. Actually I am using KDE plasma mobile too, it may be not as fast and not as unconventional, but many apps work out of the box, and as soon as the browser starts, speed of the two is quite comparable. Plus it has a connected address book, which is good.
Currently, the addition of wayland window manager appears quite a challenge for the small team. As a user, I hope the conflicts will not de stabilize the user experience, like the screen brightness indicator switching it's look too many times...
(09-12-2021, 06:49 PM)unrealb2 Wrote: Hi there is there anyone else that uses sxmo?

--
I wonder if there is a way to make the keyboard automatically pop out when using browser or anything. I think if it had this function, it would be a much better experience. Also a automatic power manager for the screen. Gets old to have to manually turn it off. I do like the concept tho.

Hello,
Keyboard should appear/disappear with pushing "Power Button"?

Ciao
Walter
(09-13-2021, 08:32 AM)walter1950 Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 06:49 PM)unrealb2 Wrote: Hi there is there anyone else that uses sxmo?

--

Hello,
Keyboard should appear/disappear with pushing "Power Button"?

Ciao
Walter

Yeah it does, it would just function smoother if it appeared on certain apps. But yeah, just my preference i suppose
(09-12-2021, 06:49 PM)unrealb2 Wrote: it seems quicker than all the other operating systems,

I am not so sure about that. Manjaro's plasma mobile has very nicely improved, plus in sxmo, you better be quite good in computers.
(10-08-2021, 02:12 AM)Uturn Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 06:49 PM)unrealb2 Wrote: it seems quicker than all the other operating systems,

I am not so sure about that. Manjaro's plasma mobile has very nicely improved, plus in sxmo, you better be quite good in computers.

That is because it is meant for the more 'terminally active' user, if you pardon the pun.   Big Grin

(09-12-2021, 06:49 PM)unrealb2 Wrote: ...a automatic power manager for the screen. Gets old to have to manually turn it off. I do like the concept tho.

Agreed.  As this distro is script- and terminal-centric, I suspect someone could write a little cron job on a BASH script that check to make sure the power manager cycles on/off as needed.
Web Developer, Drone Pilot, Recumbent Cycling Enthusiast
https://jimmpratt.me
Sxmo I find is a lot harder to give help for compared to anything else because of the nature of everything being in scripts and being so customizable. I use Sxmo, except probably not the same as you or anyone else because I've since diverged from upstream to fit my needs. What one person likes another person might not but unless you follow along with the patches you will quickly find that you're left on your own to figure out how to get things to work.

Personally I've used 1.5.2.1 as a base and have merged patches as I saw fit.

That being said, there is screen power manager already https://git.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-utils/tree/1...mo_idle.sh
Though I find the proximity sensor to be more useful given that I simply have to lie the phone face down to turn the screen off then pick it back up to automatically turn it back on. No lock screen, no password, no fuss https://git.sr.ht/~mil/sxmo-utils/tree/1...itylock.sh

As for the keyboard, I don't know how Phosh with squeezboard does it to automatically make it appear when a text box is selected, it's useful but I found it more annoying than not.
(11-16-2021, 08:24 PM)Merc Wrote: As for the keyboard, I don't know how Phosh with squeezboard does it to automatically make it appear when a text box is selected, it's useful but I found it more annoying than not.

I totaly agree on this, I've used phosh for a year and the keyboard management was more annoying than anything else. It pops when you don't want to (with an external keyboard for instance) and doesn't when you do.

Two weeks ago I switched to swmo and I really appreciate its flexibility. On the keyboard side, using a button or a gesture to pop it out/in is really nice. And it goes seamlessly between docked/undocked or physical/virtual keyboard ! The good thing is that if an automatic keyboard is implemented in sxmo it will not be mandatory !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PostmarketOS sxmo pinephone keyboard keymaps? afwtioane 2 1,948 09-11-2022, 04:37 AM
Last Post: manubert
  sxmo pim nextcloud Uturn 8 5,833 02-22-2022, 03:23 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Battery life on sxmo xark 1 2,031 02-12-2022, 10:07 AM
  Official Channels for Sxmo Support anjanmomi 2 2,996 02-12-2022, 09:50 AM
  sxmo & php --- 2 1,707 01-31-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: ---
  SXMO on Debian IVp 0 2,116 08-21-2021, 02:33 PM
Last Post: IVp
  Megi's multiboot sxmo image aithal 1 2,126 06-14-2021, 08:07 AM
Last Post: fdlamotte
  SXMO svkbd with joypad layout [for basic dosbox play] streak 0 1,442 05-27-2021, 08:47 AM
Last Post: streak
  Sxmo on Arch IVp 4 6,260 05-19-2021, 03:18 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Sxmo presentation at AlpineConf 2021 proycon 1 2,063 05-14-2021, 12:56 PM
Last Post: streak