PinePhone is not a daily driver
Others have been claiming it works as a daily driver but it does not for some of us I am in the USA and the current mobile OS's are not daily driver material nor will they be any time soon. I have had a Pinephone since the UBports edition has come out, I had bought the Ubports Community Edition Pinephone when they were first released. Since then I have tried Mobian mostly, UBports and a little bit of Postmarket OS, and I had to shelve my PinePhone more than once because they did not deliver and are NOT RELIABLE.

I've had common issues  on the other Linux mOS's such as
poor sound on calls
Cellular connection failing
short battery life
UI glitches
Poor Camera support
MMS support
Modem issues ( Pine64 might consider having  alternative modem hardware  because of the issues are not limited to one OS)

On Mobian:
Camera has poor quality and support
Poor call quality
cellular connection failure  (at random the cellular will stop working and require a restart of the phone) (Happens too frequently)
Lock Screen fails to unlock
Lag on almost everything
Apps not fully optimized
Modem requires some messages to be deleted otherwise SMS texts may not be received! 
Turning off WiFi sometimes turns on Airplane mode
Battery drains pretty quickly
Software app updating does not work correctly (alt is just use terminal instead)
Phone tends to operate slowly
Had Mobian OS get corrupted before and require a clean install
Not a Stable OS (apps will also crash) (phone sometimes freezes up)
Failure to receive SMS messages sometimes

Features lacking for Mobian
NO GROUP SMS SUPPORT (some of the people who say it does not matter are likely loners who don't have friends & family so of course they wouldn't care)
NO MMS support (Although not a necessity it is pretty handy for communication)
No Screenshot support (Being able to screenshot things is also handy for proof, trouble shooting or sharing)
Can not connect to PC/Laptop via USB for mtp 

Sometimes I wake up only to find my phone's alarm clock not activating (I have woken up a few times before my set alarm clock) and the cellular not connecting. Sometimes texts that are supposed to be received from services to verify a account or 2 way factor authentication are not received. Zelle was an example of this not working. I've had Uber not work through the mobile web browser when requesting a ride.

Apart from Mobian, shame on the other Linux mobile OS devs, seems they care about pleasing  non FOSS companies, why waste time with locked down or non open source phones. Putting FOSS on proprietary hardware/platforms is a waste, its like dedicating time and resources to put open source software on Windows/MacOS. They should be focusing on the Pinephone.

UBports team is guilty as well, they are just like their Ubuntu brethren who are too busy pleasing other companies, I don't give a fuck about non-open source phones which you are supporting and advertising on your site for, shame on you people. They still don't even have the Pinephone on the supported devices page on their site despite even getting a UBports Community Edition Pinephone in their name and the contributions from it. Even the forum members are expressing concern about Pinephone support. 

Not everyone wants to keep pouring in so much time just to troubleshoot everything, its too time consuming and not everyone is a programmer or advance user of Linux. I have been patient but it has finally worn out, Since I cant use my Pinephone as a daily driver I have to go pick up a Android phone today. Linus was right about the Linux community being too fragmented. For those of you thinking of picking up a Pinephone I suggest you don't expect much and wait if you want a daily driver out of it, I for one do not expect it to happen within a year or 2.

The Strategic Advantages of Phosh for mobile Linux article

I will not be responding to any of you neckbeards who are just in denial, you're not helping. I have not been seeing much bugs being reported on Gitlab for MobianOS despite how many users we have here on the forum. If the the phone can NOT do basic phone calls and SMS texts reliably then what the hell are some of you going on about that it is a daily driver. Someone has to say it and not sugar coat it
I  think you are expecting too much from a bunch of hobbyist developers.

I have a Xubuntu 18.04 as my development  laptop and somethings such as  hardware accelerated YouTube playback on Firefox doesn't work. Mind you this is after 15+ years of Linux desktop development. But the laptop  works well for software development..

At this point Lineage OS  is probably your best  bet  as a working open source distribution. I have  it running on Moto G7. It is proprietary hardware but its is unlikely that any  open source hardware will match Qualcomm performance.
If it doesn't work for you, move on to something else. Try Apple? I hear their phones can handle mms.
Pinephone beta edition, convergence model, Mobian Bookworm with Phosh.
Someone's opinion on the Pinephone's daily driver status probably depends quite a bit on how addicted they are to modern smartphone features. I personally am only using the Pinephone because 3G is being phased out in the USA and all extant 4G dumbphones are either smartphones in disguise or garbage (most are both). Anything that I might need a smartphone for, I'm already used to doing on the desktop.

Even with my narrow use case, I still want the Pinephone to work reliably as a phone. In my opinion, getting  the modem to stay connected and/or making it automatically recover from disconnecting is priority one. These threads contain enough information to set up a modem-resetting watchdog, which might be the best we can do until we have an easily-flashable binary distribution of Biktorgj's modem firmware (assuming that actually solves the problem). Hopefully distro maintainers can start including modem watchdogs as a stopgap.

MMS is also a big blocker, and though I believe it's being worked on, I don't know much about it.

P.S. Arch is about as stable as Mobian, but it's less laggy and doesn't run as hot (in my experience). On a beta device like the Pinephone, where debian is too young to actually be stable, Arch really shines.

ETA: Just switching to a different modem probably wouldn't help; it seems that the outages happen because the modem is on a USB port and the host just drops it sometimes.
Since the switchover to bookworm and the last couple of rounds of updates, Mobian on the Pinephone has been working very well for me in daily use. I have not been experiencing modem problems but my usage pattern is to leave the phone off until there is need to use it, so the modem doesn't see extended run time. (I do have a script to reboot the modem if needed.) Voice calls are now working very reliably. If the phone happens to be on and asleep, an incoming call wakes it very quickly and can be answered immediately without having to swipe in the passcode. I have never used SMS or MMS so am not concerned about those. So when talking about daily driver status for me the Pinephone is already there.

In fact the biggest annoyance I've found having the Pinephone with me on a daily basis (aside from adjusting to its physical size) is having to tell people, "No, I can't run that 'app' , and no, I can't just scan that QR code, and no I can't make a video of that 'interesting' thing." With my flip phone I'd just whip that out and they'd grok immediately its limited functionality. With the Pinephone it looks like a conventional smartphone so now I have to explain it's a Linux phone, not Android or IOS, and usually that results in getting a slack-jawed, glassy-eyed look in return.
Not sure if you've tried ubuntu touch on a degoogled android, but you can purchase them on ebay. Pinephone might not be there yet but dont give up, its one of the best option we have yet for freedom in tech.
Well gee since I just bought one today and you really inspire me. Truth is I expect it to be buggy but I started using Linux in the 90's and buggy was the norm, I watched it grow into the best OS available IMO. That said I will struggle with the pine phone and hopefully watch it grow into a great phone. We need an open source alternative to google and apple on our phones. I pretty much hate google so I am hoping for the best. My android works great but I give up every shred of privacy for the convenience. I am tired of being spied on, watched, mined and sold to the highest bidder.  It looks to me like Pine is the place to start and if enough people buy one it will get better. 
Is there an open source alternative for google maps, I want to put in an address and feel pretty certain I will get where I am going. It is almost impossible to find city maps in a lot of locations.
Thumbs Down 
Back when I bought a brand new iphone  (5s I think it was),  the first few weeks it froze a dozen times a day, and had to be hard shut down to be restarted,

then at 10 months it quit working entirely...  and they get high ratings  ?  You cannot change or repair the hardware  or the software.

When I got my  Brave Heart phone,  Operating systems were just starting to become available,  none of them were near complete,  but by swapping around, I was       able to usually get talk, text, wifi to work.

> I am not able to do anything in "terminal"  BUT    I would say perhaps I qualify as an Linux Enthusiast ?

There were days back then that I may have tried 3 or 4 different OS'es in a day to  "make it work".  and updates often broke an otherwise working operating system.

So while it was not dependable at that time,    ...  it has  'almost'   always been  'possible',

for a simple GUI user as myself,  to talk and text.  ( I did have to exert a bit of 'effort' )

Being a GUI user I can download and flash an operating system to an sd card no problem.  -  I do have a dozen or so micro sd cards.

These days there are at least 3 operating systems that work even for GUI users,  though they may have a quirk or two,
   and at least a dozen operating systems that can work if you have any skills with Linux. 

I will not give up or trade my Pine phone(s).!   The road may have had a few bumps,  but in the last few months there have been a lot of improvements.

> I am proud to be a small part of this movement.

>> By Stating the  ""Pine phone does NOT WORK""   The OP is saying that I and everyone else that claims to use a Pine phone are LIARS !

I find find that to be a :  Very Offensive and False statement..!
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
i probably have to backtrack that daily driver, although it was half daily driver anyway. i still have de-googled android as a backup.

if phone can do basic calls and texts then it's enough for me, because i'm not very fond of android and ios ecosystems and i don't like to carry google account or apple id to everywhere, actually anywhere at all. i was willing to go on technical basic phone, but those hardly exist anymore and volte makes thing more complicated.

however, mobile networking disconnects randomly on a pinephone and that might be too far for me. power surge have suspected, so it sound like hardware bug. that modem chip is used in iot devices and similar. if modem chip targeted for iot-devices is possibly unreliable then that chip doesn't sound good.

problems aside, i think pinephone and partially librem have been sort of success. i was thinking going on totally dark on so called smartphones some point in future. now at least, i may have smartphone even in the future.
(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Others have been claiming it works as a daily driver but it does not for some of us I am in the USA and the current mobile OS's are not daily driver material nor will they be any time soon. I have had a Pinephone since the UBports edition has come out, I had bought the Ubports Community Edition Pinephone when they were first released. Since then I have tried Mobian mostly, UBports and a little bit of Postmarket OS, and I had to shelve my PinePhone more than once because they did not deliver and are NOT RELIABLE.
PinePhone is definitely not daily driver ready if you treat it like a smartphone.
It is if you treat it like a PC though.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Cellular connection failing
Modem issues ( Pine64 might consider having  alternative modem hardware  because of the issues are not limited to one OS)
I suspect it's more about the ISP you're using.
In my case I had to sign up for Rakuten Mobile because SoftBank refuses to support anything that's not iOS or Android.
I read quite some horror stories about ATT from other American users facing similar issues.

(Sidenote: sometimes you tend to mention the same problems 2 to 5 times (maybe to make the list of problems seem longer than what it is?), so I'll deliberately strip those out in this post, as well as features I personally don't care about.)

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: short battery life
UI glitches
Poor Camera support
Yes, I agree that these are still issues that need to be addressed.
The first 2 are being addressed as we speak, the last one I don't know.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Lock Screen fails to unlock
I think there was a fix for that, can't remember what though.
I had this problem a lot in the past, but I don't have this problem anymore.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Lag on almost everything
I think you need to update the packages first to solve most of it.
Might remain if you happen to have a 2 GB model though.
In that case I suggest you give Postmarket OS with SXMO a try.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Apps not fully optimized
You're running literally PC apps on a phone, so it's expected.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Software app updating does not work correctly (alt is just use terminal instead)
I think most of us use the terminal instead anyway.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: No Screenshot support (Being able to screenshot things is also handy for proof, trouble shooting or sharing)
You can use "grim" in the terminal for that.
Best done if you use it over an SSH connection so you don't need to speedrun between apps.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Can not connect to PC/Laptop via USB for mtp 
Best is to treat a PinePhone as a PC acting like a smartphone, rather than a smartphone acting like a PC (which is the case with Android and iOS phones).
I suggest you look into "scp" or "sftp" for this purpose.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Sometimes I wake up only to find my phone's alarm clock not activating (I have woken up a few times before my set alarm clock) and the cellular not connecting.
Hint: you need to have the alarm app open and then lock the screen, otherwise it won't work.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Apart from Mobian, shame on the other Linux mobile OS devs, seems they care about pleasing  non FOSS companies, why waste time with locked down or non open source phones. Putting FOSS on proprietary hardware/platforms is a waste, its like dedicating time and resources to put open source software on Windows/MacOS. They should be focusing on the Pinephone.
I don't blame them at all when it comes to development of Linux mobile OS, it's just not an easy task while pretty much everyone who develops in this space has experienced by now.
But yeah, I agree with the putting FOSS software on Windows/macOS part.
Don't expect people to switch to Linux if everything that can be done on Linux can also be done on Windows and/or macOS, perhaps it's a good thing as it keeps most of the idiots away.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: Not everyone wants to keep pouring in so much time just to troubleshoot everything, its too time consuming and not everyone is a programmer or advance user of Linux. I have been patient but it has finally worn out, Since I cant use my Pinephone as a daily driver I have to go pick up a Android phone today. Linus was right about the Linux community being too fragmented. For those of you thinking of picking up a Pinephone I suggest you don't expect much and wait if you want a daily driver out of it, I for one do not expect it to happen within a year or 2.
I actually prefer that PinePhone remains a niche product actually.
What technology has proven over the past 50 years is that everything that becomes mainstream is guaranteed to be turned into shit.
It's those that have a clear target audience that remain good for a very long time.

Also, I don't really see myself as part of some Linux community, but rather an individual that happens to like and use Linux.
Communities like these are generally unhealthy, especially if it lacks any kind of gatekeeping.

(09-02-2021, 11:20 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: The Strategic Advantages of Phosh for mobile Linux article

I will not be responding to any of you neckbeards who are just in denial, you're not helping. I have not been seeing much bugs being reported on Gitlab for MobianOS despite how many users we have here on the forum. If the the phone can NOT do basic phone calls and SMS texts reliably then what the hell are some of you going on about that it is a daily driver. Someone has to say it and not sugar coat it
I don't have a beard of any kind, never liked having one anyway.
Everyone has their own bias in the end, I'm not saying that Mobian and PinePhone are a piece of shit, neither I'm saying that they're the best products God has ever invented.
It's undeniable that there are good things and bad things, best is to have an open mind and not call everyone a neckbeard in denial in advance while maybe you might possibly turn out to be a neckbeard in denial in the opposite direction (which does seem to be the case reading this post alone, although at least you kept it much more reasonable compared to some others).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone pro and consequences for pinephone users ivanB1975 4 144 2 hours ago
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone for sale in Europe tiho 4 106 Today, 05:11 AM
Last Post: tiho
  list of linux native apps/softwares for pinephone on the wiki alexandre 5 1,998 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: iwm
  PinePhone Pro battery life Barugon 10 477 Yesterday, 10:59 AM
Last Post: wibble
  UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant) megous 168 117,161 10-22-2021, 03:06 PM
Last Post: c3l@
  PinePhone SIM slot Niek 13 2,633 10-19-2021, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Barugon
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 98 17,804 10-19-2021, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Barugon
  PinePhone Covid Apps bigtreeman 12 202 10-17-2021, 05:24 AM
Last Post: evilbunny
Sad New PinePhone won't boot 9/10 times - Screen is on but stays black :( dante404 7 153 10-13-2021, 05:13 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Comparing a Huawei smartphone to the PinePhone and Librem 5 amosbatto 0 187 10-12-2021, 10:38 AM
Last Post: amosbatto