Genode OS
(10-17-2023, 04:22 PM)diederik Wrote: (There being a "megi's kernel" (instead of a community/upstream kernel) is seen as problematic by some)

Most of the posts from the two threads point out things are winding down for the PP regular OS's barring others stepping up.

Hope someone does (especially for Arch if Mobian is the only OS put out to pasture).

But if that doesn't happen and all OS's will lose new updates compromising security for many features down the road, I wanted to know if Sculpt OS is the escape hatch for those of us using the PP regular as their daily driver and who don't want to have to purchase a PP Pro.
Realistically, no. Even an old Linux kernel will be much more usable than the Sculpt OS kernel.
(10-17-2023, 07:04 PM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: Realistically, no. Even an old Linux kernel will be much more usable than the Sculpt OS kernel.

Thanks for the answer. Sounds like the PP Regular will still be usable for phone and text if updates do in fact stop for all OS's. It's just the internet security that is at risk.

However, hopefully the optimistic responses to this issue prevail and additional help comes in and/or just mobian is affected.
Thanks for sharing the pointers to the discussion.

For the record, the PinePhone version of Sculpt OS uses the code of Megous' Linux kernel for several driver components (each running as a user-space program on Genode) such as camera, display, touchscreen, USB, Wifi, GPU, SD-card. We noticed the (presumably) temporary unavailability of the repository and mirrored the kernel source as an interim fix.
As I mentioned in the other threads, megi has set up a clonable mirror on Codeberg: https://codeberg.org/megi/linux
(10-18-2023, 05:21 AM)nfeske Wrote: Thanks for sharing the pointers to the discussion.

For the record, the PinePhone version of Sculpt OS uses the code of Megous' Linux kernel for several driver components (each running as a user-space program on Genode) such as camera, display, touchscreen, USB, Wifi, GPU, SD-card. We noticed the (presumably) temporary unavailability of the repository and mirrored the kernel source as an interim fix.

Great to hear the crisis is averted based on your comments and those of others.

Any ETA on the next Sculpt PP OS release?
> Any ETA on the next Sculpt PP OS release?

We are actually busy preparing a new Sculpt OS release scheduled for the end of next week. It will cover PC platforms and the PinePhone.

Regarding the aspired user-visible features for the PinePhone, we are admittedly behind our original plans (like SMS) because we focused on topics like tooling (debugging, SDK), CPU-frequency/temperature monitoring on the PC, a port of the Linphone VoiP stack, and a new API that greatly simplifies the creation of Genode-native UI applications. We figured that it makes much sense to focus on the latter before implementing new application features. With the new infrastructure in place, new features will be easier to add and maintain. So there are plenty of things cooking in the kitchen, not all of them can be served on a plate yet.

It goes without saying that I'll happily share the announcement of the new release here, once it's out.
"a port of the Linphone VoiP stack, and a new API that greatly simplifies the creation of Genode-native UI applications."

The VoiP feature should solve the problem of what to do about calls if carriers decide to discontinue PP service like Cingular did out of the blue about 2 years ago.

Interested in the Genode-native UI app creator although it looks like it's in C++ and I've got a ways to go skill wise before I'd be able to build anything once I had an idea of what to build.

Looking forward to the next OS update along with SMS down the road once everything else is up and running.
(10-19-2023, 03:39 PM)PineFone Wrote: The VoiP feature should solve the problem of what to do about calls if carriers decide to discontinue PP service like Cingular did out of the blue about 2 years ago.
How would that solve anything? VoIP is only workable if you have working mobile data, which depends on the exact same carriers as the normal phone calls. A cell phone that can only make and receive phone calls when near a WiFi hotspot is useless.
(10-19-2023, 08:30 PM)Kevin Kofler Wrote: How would that solve anything? VoIP is only workable if you have working mobile data, which depends on the exact same carriers as the normal phone calls. A cell phone that can only make and receive phone calls when near a WiFi hotspot is useless.

I'd have to look it up again, but there's a way to do this with a carrier less android and I'm assuming the same trick can be done with the PP.

Calls made near hot spots only is less of an issue in suburban/urban areas.

While a PP would no longer be reliable as a daily driver, using VoIP in hotspots only for calls plus Reticulum's Sideband messaging service (similar to meshtastic, but not as far along in development) for SMS beyond hot spots because it can use wifi, bluetooth and ham radio signals to carry messages is a patch work replacement scenario I've been looking at.

This may be overly optimistic, but it gives me an excuse to learn more about the related elements.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 1,098 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  When should new OS's like Genode & NuttX RTOS get their own PinePhone subforum? PineFone 1 1,173 05-17-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  ATTN MODS: Create 'Genode OS on PinePhone' Sub-Forum under PinePhone Software PineFone 3 2,354 02-11-2023, 06:23 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Genode OS Now Live (finally a battery friendly PP OS?) PineFone 0 1,505 02-04-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PineFone
Lightbulb Article: Experiments for super low PinePhone power consumption with Genode Surehand53 1 2,059 12-27-2022, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Samurai_Crow