Wired headset mic stopped working
I've been using a wired headset with the Pinephone in noisy environments since the built-in earpiece volume is usually pretty low. Suddenly I'm finding that the microphone is not working. I can hear the call just fine, but the person on the other end cannot har me. Tried leaving voicemail to myself with the same result. Figuring maybe the microphone just went bad I bought another headset but it has the same problem. I tried toggling the mute button on the mic and the Pinephone screen reacts but the microphone still doesn't work on either headset.

This is in Mobian. I checked the settings and the input is set to the Headset Microphone with volume on full. The headsets have 4-conductor jacks. Should I try one with 3 conductors? Or did a software update knock out the audio path from the microphone to the modem?

[Image: YMpFocpS_o.jpg]
I've had the same problem with the same symptoms for a long time too and can reproduce it reliably every time I plug in my headset and then start a call. My solution so far has been to start the call and only then plug in the headset. That way the microphone works in my case.
(08-14-2021, 10:17 AM)kqlnut Wrote: I've had the same problem with the same symptoms for a long time too and can reproduce it reliably every time I plug in my headset and then start a call. My solution so far has been to start the call and only then plug in the headset. That way the microphone works in my case.

Thanks, I tried it and that worked! So it is a software glitch. At least there's a workaround albeit a bit clumsy. Funny thing is it used to work making the call with the headset plugged in, which is what one would expect. Then at some point that functionality was broken. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update.
(08-15-2021, 11:34 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 10:17 AM)kqlnut Wrote: I've had the same problem with the same symptoms for a long time too and can reproduce it reliably every time I plug in my headset and then start a call. My solution so far has been to start the call and only then plug in the headset. That way the microphone works in my case.

Thanks, I tried it and that worked! So it is a software glitch. At least there's a workaround albeit a bit clumsy. Funny thing is it used to work making the call with the headset plugged in, which is what one would expect. Then at some point that functionality was broken. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update.

I'm glad the workaround works for you too. If you have any idea about a change that might have caused this issue, please share! I have reported it a while back on the Manjaro Phosh bug tracker, but apparently it's not a consistent issue for everyone.
Yeah, it worked for me as well... until a few months ago.  Now, when I plug in the headset/mic, it shows up on the sound settings page immediately.  Unfortunately, there is no response on the vu meter and it doesn't record or transmit sound.

Ideas would be appreciated.  The Pinephone is my daily driver and this situation prohibits hands-free calls during the long commute.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,206 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Convergence package USB-C Docking Bar for Wired Ethernet (part II) Peter Gamma 4 931 10-08-2023, 11:49 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Getting all keys working on pine phone keyboard-case undata 5 2,425 10-08-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Keyboard : replaced the logic board charging now working again grump_fiddle_reinstall 1 842 07-01-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
  Keyboard case not charging (or not working) and a possible FIX for both pifou 12 8,765 05-03-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Keyboard stopped charging Shatur 7 4,353 03-30-2022, 07:26 PM
Last Post: enQueued
  Anyone have bluetooth headset working (for phone)? TRS-80 21 20,432 11-19-2021, 09:37 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Wired headset with microphone - 3 or 4 conductor jack? Zebulon Walton 3 4,229 07-06-2021, 09:50 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Convergence package USB-C Docking Bar for Wired Ethernet piney-tim 0 1,986 11-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: piney-tim