Encrypted ZFS as root filesystem
Hello!

I love ZFS and all of it's features, so much so that I practically use it on everything I own, in some form or another.
Snapshots, compression, encryption and replication are some really great features that no other file system has (ignoring btrfs, because that one lacks RAID support for reliable backups).

I wanted to use it as a root filesystem for my pinephone, since Debian allows you to use it as root filesystem just fine.
I got it installed using DMKS, set up a zpool on a partition next to boot, edited the kernel parameters (root=ZFS=rpool) and it boots up just fine (did not expect that to be honest).

Now, my issue lies with encryption and the initrd.
If I use cryptsetup for encryption, I get an error that my zpool can't be found (makes sense - cryptsetup has to load the device first, but it seems ZFS tries to load the pool before asking for the password).
And if I use zfs native encryption, I get prompted for the password, but no on screen keyboard is displayed...

So, it seems like an issue in the initrd. Has anyone gotten something likes this to work already?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  low disk space on file system root revisited benedikt55 2 1,487 09-24-2022, 10:16 AM
Last Post: benedikt55
  Low Disk Space on Filesystem root ichbins 9 4,155 08-28-2022, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  Does mobian use a root account and password? rp3 6 7,747 04-04-2022, 07:26 PM
Last Post: parry
  "Low Disk Space on Filesystem root" after installing Axolotl and Podcasts Anna 11 8,703 03-05-2021, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Anna
  Is there a severe bug in the encrypted installer? rp3 3 3,594 02-08-2021, 03:27 AM
Last Post: arno_nuehm