Mobian New Insallation from installer Video playback
This is the third time I've installed Mobian using the same installer (mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20210516.img).

I've did it the first time with disk encryption, then after some time, decided I didn't want that so I did it the second time without disk encryption. After a few weeks of using the second installation I was having some performance issues, so I booted up a Mobian image from a separate drive. The Mobian image seemed more responsive even though it was running on a slower media. I assumed that my excessive need to try out all my favorite debian packages on the second installation could be causing the performance issues So I installed Mobian for the third time, hoping to get a fresh start and be a little more conservative with what I added.

However, now I can't play any video. Both of the earlier installations played video fine, although I don't recall at what point I first tested that. This installation returns the error message: 

Code:
An error occurred

driver did not accept the bit stream parameters

Totem is the default application to play videos and has worked fine in the past installs. In the third installation it looks like it's the only player installed. I also tried to play the video in firefox (file:///home/mobian/Videos/windmill2.mp4, 640x480 taken with a phone). It did play using firefox, but jerky and slow.

I did run the update (using Software) right after the installation reboot. That might have done something. After I discovered the problem, I used apt to update the packages, which produced a list of 8 packages to upgrade, maybe missed by Software the first time around. I used Software to install them.

Maybe I should install a Mobian image in stead of using the Mobian installer, even though it worked fine the first two times?

Anyone else getting (or have gotten at some time) this error message?

Perhaps I'm missing required package(s)?

Any help would be much appreciated.
(07-21-2021, 04:38 PM)henrythemouse Wrote: This is the third time I've installed Mobian using the same installer (mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20210516.img).

I've did it the first time with disk encryption, then after some time, decided I didn't want that so I did it the second time without disk encryption. After a few weeks of using the second installation I was having some performance issues, so I booted up a Mobian image from a separate drive. The Mobian image seemed more responsive even though it was running on a slower media. I assumed that my excessive need to try out all my favorite debian packages on the second installation could be causing the performance issues So I installed Mobian for the third time, hoping to get a fresh start and be a little more conservative with what I added.

However, now I can't play any video. Both of the earlier installations played video fine, although I don't recall at what point I first tested that. This installation returns the error message: 

Code:
An error occurred

driver did not accept the bit stream parameters

Totem is the default application to play videos and has worked fine in the past installs. In the third installation it looks like it's the only player installed. I also tried to play the video in firefox (file:///home/mobian/Videos/windmill2.mp4, 640x480 taken with a phone). It did play using firefox, but jerky and slow.

I did run the update (using Software) right after the installation reboot. That might have done something. After I discovered the problem, I used apt to update the packages, which produced a list of 8 packages to upgrade, maybe missed by Software the first time around. I used Software to install them.

Maybe I should install a Mobian image in stead of using the Mobian installer, even though it worked fine the first two times?

Anyone else getting (or have gotten at some time) this error message?

Perhaps I'm missing required package(s)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

For  now MPV works. Other suggestions are welcome.
I'm finding that VLC works pretty well for videos up to 720 resolution.
(07-24-2021, 06:26 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I'm finding that VLC works pretty well for videos up to 720 resolution.

I also recommend installing VLC. (Always had problems with the default video app on mobian.)
Ok, I've tried VLC once before, it wasn't very phone friendly. It's a very good player though. I'll give it another try.

Thanks for your suggestions.
(07-28-2021, 09:38 PM)henrythemouse Wrote: Ok, I've tried VLC once before, it wasn't very phone friendly. It's a very good player though. I'll give it another try.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I agree. I use VLC on all my other computers but it doesn't work for me on the Pinephone (too many controls either aren't visible or don't scale usably--even with scale-to-fit enabled for vlc so I removed it. I use mplayer and I mostly use the keyboard interface. I'm running Mobian.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video playback with hardware acceleration jojuma 2 330 08-21-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  Thunderbird - anyone using it on Mobian? MikeMan 2 235 07-28-2021, 03:28 AM
Last Post: MikeMan
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 3 984 06-29-2021, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rlynn
  Pine phone Community Edition Mobian For Sale Luckyslayer 0 399 05-25-2021, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Luckyslayer
  Cellular Data, Mobian - "No WWAN Adapter Found" justneedsomedatathanks 2 683 05-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Last Post: awaittrot
  Video Quickstart Guide Luke 0 1,194 04-26-2021, 03:44 AM
Last Post: Luke
  ? vpn or tor for mobian rvh 2 632 04-23-2021, 07:25 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8
  copy/past/ firefox/mobian rvh 2 654 04-22-2021, 06:25 AM
Last Post: rvh
  fix camera, mobian rvh 3 847 03-20-2021, 03:51 PM
Last Post: rvh
  Pinephone Mobian CE Convergence for sale UK arseny1991 2 839 03-15-2021, 07:17 AM
Last Post: arseny1991