Masking Agent....Patent
Brick 
Thinking on the difficulties regarding providers I was wondering if a masking agent similar to whats available for browsers was possible,

I had a tough time with the terminology to even get any results, call masking kept coming up, but what I found sure didn't surprise me

an IBM patent

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160379010A1/en

I didn't comb through it but on the surface....
(05-06-2021, 10:09 AM)KABA Wrote: Thinking on the difficulties regarding providers I was wondering if a masking agent similar to whats available for browsers was possible,

I had a tough time with the terminology to even get any results, call masking kept coming up, but what I found sure didn't surprise me

an IBM patent

What difficulties are you referring to? That some providers don't accept the Pinephone because it's not on their whitelist? In that case you would want to look for IMEI spoofing. That's something that would happen in the modem, but there is no known way to do that on the Pinephone's modem (yet; as far as I know). Also it might not be legal everywhere.
Or do you mean masking your phone number when making calls? For this you could look into proxy numbers.
The link you provided has nothing to do with either of that.
(05-06-2021, 04:12 AM)calinb Wrote: What difficulties are you referring to? That some providers don't accept the Pinephone because it's not on their whitelist? I

That is it yes, won't get far without a carrier. I did just lightly touch on that patent and noted

4. The method of claim 1, wherein masking the data includes at least covering data or replacing data.

If that doesn't relating to IMEI editing then that's good news, I don't have a phone yet and no idea how but guessed being Linux and open source editing the IMEI was possible, but you don't know either I see?
(05-10-2021, 05:55 AM)KABA Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 04:12 AM)calinb Wrote: What difficulties are you referring to? That some providers don't accept the Pinephone because it's not on their whitelist? I

That is it yes, won't get far without a carrier. I did just lightly touch on that patent and noted

4. The method of claim 1, wherein masking the data includes at least covering data or replacing data.

If that doesn't relating to IMEI editing then that's good news, I don't have a phone yet and no idea how but guessed being Linux and open source editing the IMEI was possible, but you don't know either I see?
Manipulating the IMEI is something that would have to be done in the modem, not the OS. I think the modem itself is also running some form of Linux and there is ongoing effort to build an open source firmware for it, but it is still in some parts proprietary and cannot be freely manipulated.
(To be honest, I don't see the connection from the patent you mentioned to any of this. But I also don't know what context the patent is intended for and didn't look closely into it.)
(05-10-2021, 05:55 AM)KABA Wrote:

That's not my quote, KABA. I think it was made by kqlnut. I've been bit by the quoting mechanism in these forums too but have not experienced mis-attribution of a quote. I've never even read this thread until I was notified by the board software that I was quoted. Interesting topic, nonetheless! According to the posts, the quote history should be:

(05-10-2021, 01:07 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 10:09 AM)KABA Wrote: Thinking on the difficulties regarding providers I was wondering if a masking agent similar to whats available for browsers was possible,

an IBM patent

What difficulties are you referring to? That some providers don't accept the Pinephone because it's not on their whitelist?
Bug 
Wow, that's some weird, sorry  Huh
(05-10-2021, 12:38 PM)KABA Wrote: Wow, that's some weird, sorry  Huh
No problem. Quoting on these boards has some issues. I PMed Luke about it.
You can easily change the IMEI on the pinephone modem with AT+EGMR=1,7,"new IMEI"
That is however ILLEGAL in most if not all countries.