What is the point of airplane mode?
On android, if I turn on airplane mode, the cell, bluetooth and wifi radios are turned off. When I turn off airplane mode, it only turns back on those radios that were on before it went into airplane mode.

Now for gnome settings and airplane mode. First off, airplane mode is not selectable itself. Instead, if I turn off wifi and bluetooth then the phone goes into airplane mode, turning off the cell radio in the process. This is not only counter intuitive, it's absolutely not what I want to happen. When I turn off airplane mode, it turns on all the radios.

Is there any way to completely and permanently disable airplane mode?
The airplane mode in Phosh, which you probably referred to, has been sligthly broken for a while.  Also, Phosh always re-enables Bluetooth when the phone is booted up, for some reason, which is probably just another broken "feature" of Phosh.  I haven't bothered to look into the source code of Phosh, but my guess is that it should all be relatively easily fixable; why nobody hasn't fixed that yet, that's another question.
Airplane mode is a feature that ensures the phone you bought doesn't work. Gotta love it
i sent bug report about this.

if i remember correctly, in manjaro, there is workaround for this. just switch individual switches separately.

my guess is. it's related to rfkill. exactly speaking there isn't direct airplane mode, there is rfkill options and if all rfkill options are blocked then airplane goes on.

i could easily manage without airplane mode, if those switches can be turned on individually.

proposal: airplane toggle should be changed into one-directional button. it means everything goes off but putting them back need to be done individually.
Why wouldn't turning airplane mode off return the individual switches back to their state before enabling airplane mode?  That seems logical to me.
(05-11-2021, 06:45 AM)dsimic Wrote: Why wouldn't turning airplane mode off return the individual switches back to their state before enabling airplane mode?  That seems logical to me.
i go in on guesswork again. probably switching airplane mode off, it doesn't know the previous state. if you command as root "# rfkill list all". this is what it knows essentially.
Isn't executing "rfkill list all" the way to get the current state of separate rfkill switches?  The GUI on the phone can store that information and use it to restore the state of separate rfkill switch upon disabling the airplane mode.
(05-11-2021, 07:24 AM)dsimic Wrote: Isn't executing "rfkill list all" the way to get the current state of separate rfkill switches?  The GUI on the phone can store that information and use it to restore the state of separate rfkill switch upon disabling the airplane mode.
like i was saying, i'm theorizing. i would assume separate switches stored in a system.

if i call "# rfkill block wifi" or "# rfkill unblock wifi", it seems to activate or deactivate switches. it might be direct. i wonder how mobile switch is handled.
I've had a look at the Phosh source code and it would take some time to completely understand the way different sections of the Phosh GUI work.  However, Phosh talks over D-Bus to control the Bluetooth rfkill status, but surprisingly doesn't seem to do the same for the WWAN modem, while the D-Bus service it talks to exposes the WWAN rfkill status as well.
Not only that if you toggle the dipswitch it cuts ALL the radios incl. the gps. Take google's FUSE nonsense into account and the 'modem' aoparently can't tell the difference between wifi, bt, and gps (only the software/gui can from a user's standpoint). Therein lies the issue. The control over who has the code to your modem/bt/gps abilities. Until google's nonsense stops it's just FUSEd nonsense endlessly. The cellular radio should be COMPLETELY separate from everything else PERIOD. The fact that it's not is a problem that won't just go away with an update. Need new hardware that separates that BS apart.
FFS my rooted one+3 can disable data but still make calls and texts (not so this). The dipswitches inside the phone are cute but in reality are worthless if all the radios are fused together in one module. The pinephone once you put a sim in that also has data, you can't switch data off without disabling the entire sim card. So my point stands. Fusing all the radios onto one switch is just plain bad engineering all around and does not make for "security" (theatre) whatsoever. From a security aspect the phone has holes big enough to drive buses through. A 4 (or6) digit numeric passcode? lmfao
When these pinephone images are capable of full encryption using a proper password AND the cellular modem is not frkn fused to the other radios, then we can talk security. Dipswiches are for dip*****. Pull the sim out and turn it off, DUHH

Not to rant but I'm not going to sugar coat the truth. Hopefully in a year or so we can replace the mainboard with something that is actually secure and works the way it should. This one is slow and weak. ATM, it can just barely make and recv calls and do texts. And that's BECAUSE of the crappy hardware. Not the code and not the networks. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't believe it could work believe that. Google is done with spoonfeeding me their absolute garbage FUSED to **** rom's. That's a fact. I don't care if I go back to a gen1 flipphone. I still have a brand new sonim xp5, no aps, but it uses a droid5 fused OS, so from a security standpoint the pinephone is still way more secure. ANYTHING to get google the hell away from me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recovery mode Emilio 1 1,238 02-14-2022, 03:39 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Constructive criticism, open debate, grown up behaviour, and the dreaded FEL mode. step 7 3,727 11-25-2021, 08:46 AM
Last Post: wibble
  How to enter FEL mode? Giddyup 2 3,339 02-14-2021, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Giddyup