USB-PD charger
Tongue 
Hi,

I have searched before posting but have not found any answer for this question.

The PinePhone should be charged using a 15W (5V 3A) USB -PD power adapter. Charging at a higher voltage may result in damage to the device.

I can't find USB-PD 15W (5V-3A) charger to buy (Amazon/eBay, ...), so can a USB-PD 18W charger (5V 3A - 9V 2A - 12V 1.5 A) be used for charging a Pinephone ?

Will the power supply negotiation damage the Pinephone ?

Thanks !
I use a generic 5V 2A charger from ebay on my pinephone and it works fine, just takes a bit longer to charge up than a 3A charger would.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231990531054
(04-26-2021, 11:36 AM)christophe14 Wrote: The PinePhone should be charged using a 15W (5V 3A) USB -PD power adapter. Charging at a higher voltage may result in damage to the device.

I can't find USB-PD 15W (5V-3A) charger to buy (Amazon/eBay, ...), so can a USB-PD 18W charger (5V 3A - 9V 2A - 12V 1.5 A) be used for charging a Pinephone? Will the power supply negotiation damage the Pinephone?

All recent USB PD chargers should support at least one more power profile than the one providing 3 A at 5 V.  As part of the PD negotiation between the charger and the phone, the charger will end up providing 5 V to the phone, so everything should be fine.

However, due to the additional complexity involved with the PD negotiation that requires a lot to be done on the software side (i.e. by the Linux kernel), it's much better to use a "dumb" (i.e. not PD) USB charger with a Type-A port that's capable of providing about 2.5 A at 5 V.  In other words, you'll have no benefits from using a USB PD charger, but using a "dumb" charger will avoid the complexity and any associated issues.
(05-03-2021, 12:17 AM)dsimic Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 11:36 AM)christophe14 Wrote: The PinePhone should be charged using a 15W (5V 3A) USB -PD power adapter. Charging at a higher voltage may result in damage to the device.

I can't find USB-PD 15W (5V-3A) charger to buy (Amazon/eBay, ...), so can a USB-PD 18W charger (5V 3A - 9V 2A - 12V 1.5 A) be used for charging a Pinephone? Will the power supply negotiation damage the Pinephone?

All recent USB PD chargers should support at least one more power profile than the one providing 3 A at 5 V.  As part of the PD negotiation between the charger and the phone, the charger will end up providing 5 V to the phone, so everything should be fine.

However, due to the additional complexity involved with the PD negotiation that requires a lot to be done on the software side (i.e. by the Linux kernel), it's much better to use a "dumb" (i.e. not PD) USB charger with a Type-A port that's capable of providing about 2.5 A at 5 V.  In other words, you'll have no benefits from using a USB PD charger, but using a "dumb" charger will avoid the complexity and any associated issues.

Thanks for your explanations !
(05-03-2021, 12:17 AM)dsimic Wrote:

There are benefits to using a PD charger. It works better with the convergence edition dock, and you get more power.

At this point, SW is good enough too, to make proper use of PD charger.
my website: https://xnux.eu
(05-07-2021, 02:41 PM)megous Wrote: There are benefits to using a PD charger. It works better with the convergence edition dock, and you get more power.

What make of PD charger are you using?
(05-07-2021, 02:41 PM)megous Wrote: There are benefits to using a PD charger. It works better with the convergence edition dock, and you get more power.

Thank you for the explanation!  It's good to know that the official dock works better with USB PD chargers.
(05-08-2021, 03:39 PM)richieeee Wrote:

What make of PD charger are you using?
Some locally branded 5V/3A charger (Axagon). Any Type-C charger that can do 5V/3A will do.
my website: https://xnux.eu
Interesting, is there a PD charger from ebay or Amazon that is known to work well with the Pinephone? There are a lot of them with different features (some even have a display to show the charging mode), and wildly different pricing.
I was going to use a dumb 2A charger but I might have to try a PD on the dock. Never even thought of that. I also got a stack of old J7 batteries lying around that im hoping I can use as spares. My only concern is that I have killed so many cheap usb-c phones. They don't seem to hold up to the repeated plugging and unplugging I put them through. At least if I kill this one I can replace the board or re solder a new connector and hope for the best. I like that this phone was made with spare parts in mind. How have your phones been holding up to the daily use and abuse?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery Charger? JesusGod-Pope666.Info 9 6,286 12-01-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: JesusGod-Pope666.Info