Screen dying already?
I have also run across this issue. I have been daily driving my PinePhone since mid November and this problem hadn't come up until mid to late April. I had a suspicion it had to do with heat, like a few have here. I suspect for myself the extra heat came from watching youtube on it for long periods of time. I was never rough with my pinephone, may have droped it a couple times before. I have the Manjaro Convergence 3GB Model.

As of late though, there have been at least 7 or so more drops (IDK if this would be the cause). Now the digitizer on both sides of my phone (top-bottom wise) on the vary edge have stopped working. This just happened yesterday. Either they are too far away from the glass and are able to get a signal, or they have ripped somewhere causing them to quit functioning.

If I had cared to look I may have found this thread before this happened and might have been able to prevent this, but as it is, it's too late for that now.

Would it at all be possible to "glue" the screen back onto the glass? or just take it off entirely and reattach it? This is more food for thought then anything else, just curious.

[Image: preview]
I'm starting to have this issue too, noticed it about a week ago. It's starting to spread slowly from the top right corner of the screen. I too have the Manjaro CE (3GB) and have been more or less daily driving it since November.
I'm thinking this might be a problem of a specific batch since I only see reports here from people with the Manjaro CE (and one KDE CE). Has anyone with another (older) model experienced this problem? Or anyone who replaced the screen already? I'm a little hesitant to order a replacement screen at this point in case it's from the same batch (if it's not a problem common to all models) which will show the same signs in a couple of months.
(05-31-2021, 01:57 AM)kqlnut Wrote: I'm thinking this might be a problem of a specific batch since I only see reports here from people with the Manjaro CE (and one KDE CE). Has anyone with another (older) model experienced this problem? Or anyone who replaced the screen already? I'm a little hesitant to order a replacement screen at this point in case it's from the same batch (if it's not a problem common to all models) which will show the same signs in a couple of months.

The same thought about a bad batch in the Manjaro CE occurred to me too, unfortunately I can't add a poll after the OP's been posted. I would really like to have some kind of statement, or at least an acknowledgement, by PINE64 regarding this issue as this doesn't give me much confidence in buying a replacement unless I can be reasonably sure it won't be affected by the same defect.
I'm curious if anyone with Beta Edition (not Community Edition) has been getting this. Those are newer so I take it there hasn't been enough time for it to happen but still. Also the 2GB version of the device, I'm planning to get that one as it's easier for me to afford at this point in time.

Otherwise it may help to know more info on those occurrences from those reporting them: Indeed how much the device was allowed to heat up, but also if it was ever kept in places with high humidity, what substances and materials users have been cleaning the screen with, if the screen was ever pressed too hard and the device itself pressured, and if users have ever thrown the device around even on a soft surface like their bed (having it in a car counts since cars always shake while driving).

Beyond that it would be nice if the team or other people could experiment with just the screen plastic and the glue to see what makes it come apart: Some practical experimentation which doesn't require ruining good phones could help us determine what actions make this more likely to occur.
(05-31-2021, 07:21 AM)marcih Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 01:57 AM)kqlnut Wrote: I'm thinking this might be a problem of a specific batch since I only see reports here from people with the Manjaro CE (and one KDE CE). Has anyone with another (older) model experienced this problem? Or anyone who replaced the screen already? I'm a little hesitant to order a replacement screen at this point in case it's from the same batch (if it's not a problem common to all models) which will show the same signs in a couple of months.

The same thought about a bad batch in the Manjaro CE occurred to me too, unfortunately I can't add a poll after the OP's been posted. I would really like to have some kind of statement, or at least an acknowledgement, by PINE64 regarding this issue as this doesn't give me much confidence in buying a replacement unless I can be reasonably sure it won't be affected by the same defect.
I know @Luke has already been tagged here earlier, but since this seems to be rather wide-spread issue (and I suspect more people will start having this issue soon judging from the similar time of onset for a lot of people here) I hope it's worth pinging again (and also @tllim while I'm at it) to bring this to attention. Maybe at least to get some info on the available replacement screens in the store. Are they predating the Manjaro CE batch? In that case it might make more sense ordering one since so far there are no reports here from issues with older PinePhone models. I would rather get a replacement screen sooner than later to not be left with a broken screen and nothing to do about it at some point (considering the reported problems with the digitizer rather than just cosmetic issues).

Edit: Sorry, I missed the info that the production is already investigating this issue since about a month ago. Still some update or info about the replacment screens would be helpful.
(05-31-2021, 10:06 AM)kqlnut Wrote: Edit: Sorry, I missed the info that the production is already investigating this issue since about a month ago. Still some update or info about the replacment screens would be helpful.

No worries; like you said, an update or more info would be helpful. One of the mods (evilbunny, not tagging him since it's not necessary Wink) saw the thread too and sticky'd it, which I appreciate as it helps bring attention to it from those who are also affected, but it's not an official statement of acknowledgement from the PINE64.
same here, this is a Postmarket OS CE Device. The screen disassembles rapidly. The device has not seen much use, just been played around with.

The same issue happened with my device. Manjaro CE 3GB. Using as a daily driver(or at least trying to) since I received it. For me it happened on left and right sides of the screen. Seems to have stopped -- for a few days the situation have not changed. And the screen is working for now. I also removed the protecting film from the screen after the issue appeared.

First of all, I would like to know if it is safe to order a new screen and not get the same issue.

UPD: Today some spots appeared in bottom left corner. This seems to be happening more when I am outside. Can it be related to sunlight/uv? In winter I rarely use phone outdoors, but when it becomes warm enough I tend to use my phone a lot while waiting for a bus.
Hello,

+1 : Manjaro CE 3GB used as daily phone since November 2020.

The first defect was on top, now it's the other borders.

Update (06-07-2021) : look at the picture.

You can compare with my post (4-25-2021) : https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...1#pid93461

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-15-2021, 07:30 AM)marcih Wrote: I have had the Manjaro CE since November and have been using it as a daily driver pretty much the whole time I've had it. Unfortunately, my screen has recently been getting these deformations(?) around the edges, see photos:

They've suddenly appeared one day, starting with the bar of rectangles on the top and spread to the sides in the span of around a week, although it seems like it's stopped now. It's only visible when I shine a light on the screen, i.e. can't be seen in the dark with just the backlight shining. It doesn't look like it's damage to the screen protector or the glass, the artifacts look like they're below the glass. Is the screen permanently damaged? What could have been the cause of this? Damage by heat? Water (air moisture)? Pressure? If I replace the screen, what can I do to avoid this in the future?
The same screen damage recently happened to my November purchased Manjaro Pinephone that I have been using as a daily driver shortly after I got it.  The screen issue started in the top corners a few weeks ago and spread out. This problem and the cellular modem failing both seemed to happen shortly after I noticed that the phone was running hot way more often than it used to. 
Sadly, I can no longer use my Pinephone as my daily driver.
Maybe I'll buy a Pixel 3a (my Nexus 5 is barely hanging on).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 376 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,337 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 3,148 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,640 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,727 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 4,020 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple
  How hard to replace screen? Zebulon Walton 28 29,208 01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse
  pinephone screen Uturn 2 2,279 01-14-2022, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Screen replacement Csanderson0313 4 3,224 01-10-2022, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Csanderson0313
  Top of screen and USB port malfunctioning Severinus 0 1,087 12-14-2021, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Severinus