Amazfish on Manjaro/KDE
Just spent 2 hours trying to install Amazfish on Manjaro. This is not a trivial thing.  The amount of dependencies needed to get it to compile from a fresh image of the distro on the phone is enough to make you give up.  pacman is in no way intuitive at all compared to yum/dnf or apt making it harder to figure out what magic switches you need to pass to it to make it update or install dependencies.

I got it to finally install and it runs, but still haven't been able to figure out how to pair a Pinetime with it successfully.  I can pair the watch to the phone, but Amazfish still doesn't see it.  I'm tired of wrestling with this for now, and will try it later.

This won't get any adoption if compiling from source and troubleshooting our own errors during compilation is how to get apps installed.  It needs to be packaged in a way that it can easily be downloaded and installed (like a deb or rpm package) or contained completely in an runable format (like an appimage, flatpak, or snap).
(02-18-2021, 03:08 PM)pagesix1536 Wrote: Just spent 2 hours trying to install Amazfish on Manjaro. This is not a trivial thing.  The amount of dependencies needed to get it to compile from a fresh image of the distro on the phone is enough to make you give up.  pacman is in no way intuitive at all compared to yum/dnf or apt making it harder to figure out what magic switches you need to pass to it to make it update or install dependencies.

I got it to finally install and it runs, but still haven't been able to figure out how to pair a Pinetime with it successfully.  I can pair the watch to the phone, but Amazfish still doesn't see it.  I'm tired of wrestling with this for now, and will try it later.

This won't get any adoption if compiling from source and troubleshooting our own errors during compilation is how to get apps installed.  It needs to be packaged in a way that it can easily be downloaded and installed (like a deb or rpm package) or contained completely in an runable format (like an appimage, flatpak, or snap).

It really is a pain setting up a qt build environment to build amazfish on the pine phone, particularly if you're not used to developing on qt, but amazfish has been installable from manjaros testing repo for at least a month.

Are you sure you've got harbour-amazfishd running before you start the ui?
I got it to work. I had to manually start up the daemon since it doesn't look like the install I did created any systemd services that could be enabled/started via that method. I'm reimaging the eMMC on my phone tonight with Manjaro to try it again since I did this test install on the pboot 17-in-1 verison of Manjaro.

Now seeing it work with Infinitime, I think Amazfish is the current best solution for the Pinetime. I've tried Gadgetbridge on Android with both Infinitime and Wasp-os, and its very low on functionality with the watch. Amazfish has a lot more to offer even if it is a bit of a pain to get installed and running.

So in the interest of getting both Pine products to work well with each other, I decided to dive in and force myself to learn Manjaro/Arch. This'll be rough since I have multiple decades of working with Debian and Redhat distros behind me. I'm stuck in my ways!

Side note: I was very surprised to see Mycroft (or at least what looks like a front-end for it) installed on the latest image for Manjaro/KDE that I pulled down. I have a well-running, Raspberry Pi install of Mycroft at my house right now. I'm very familiar with the product, so this should be fun to see if there is in fact a viable solution for a "digital assistant" to work on the Pinephone.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/harbour-amazfish.service

Code:
[Unit]
Description=Amazfish daemon
After=graphical.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/harbour-amazfishd
Restart=always
RestartSec=5
Environment=HOME=%h XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/home/%u/.config DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/%U/bus XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/%U

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

In theory, this should work. But then again it doesn't. Does anyone have any idea why?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro: Settings doesnt open nbh 0 498 09-24-2023, 05:25 PM
Last Post: nbh
  Can't get ring on Manjaro Pine Phone thorensjubilee 12 3,066 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Is Manjaro ARM a Rolling Release? jojuma 4 1,422 05-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Where Does Manjaro Phosh Store Its Custom Keystrokes? jakfish 0 718 04-25-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jakfish
Exclamation My short experience with Manjaro Plasma Mobile anonymous 10 4,356 03-02-2023, 07:25 PM
  Can't install Manjaro thorensjubilee 1 957 02-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Manjaro plasma-mobile Beta 13 Uturn 13 4,559 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM
  Manjaro Plasma busted Chief 2 1,479 11-22-2022, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Chief
  MMS workaround for users with separate APN (works atleast on Manjaro Phosh) alaraajavamma 0 1,010 10-10-2022, 12:53 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
Question Running AnBox on Manjaro ARM w/ Phosh? danimations 2 2,399 09-05-2022, 03:42 PM
Last Post: nroth