UBPorts Ubuntu Touch
Welcome back. My workload eased a little and I went back to my PineTab. What I noticed and what has not changed is the problem with the keyboard attached:
1- too small moles on the screen, the cursor controlled from the trackpad does not cover the entire screen,
2 - problem when entering special characters, they duplicate themselves
3 - I can't log into my google account.
Is there a way to get rid of these problems, if so what. Has the project been abandoned?
I am asking for help in solving the above problems, the device as such is ok, but soft is ded.
As of today, Mobian seems more ubiquitous, but has issues with apps.
What to do? how to live?

Huh

Maybe there is an error-free commercial version? Please help a newbie in the Linux world
The project hasn't been abandoned, but more like "placed on hold." while there's been a short supply of lcd panels it's hard for Pine to produce/sell more PineTabs. This, in turn, impacts development so that most devs that do have PineTabs are using development models that use some slightly different hardware than the initial public batch. Without that hardware devs have difficulties providing updates/support for the PineTabs we have. (It can be done, but they can't verify their works works without testing by others.)

From my experience, the 3 current imgs that have the most working features and frequent updates, are Mobian, Arch, and Sailfish. I can attest to Sailfish being working surprisingly well from the first alpha image. i had no problem connecting my Google account. the biggest thing i had to get used to was utilizing openrepos for apps
I tested Mobian, everything works, the application store does not, it just moves to the application tray on Pinetab. I have and use a raspberry, it looks better there, maybe because of the size of the community. Mobian would be ok, but I can't find a VNC client and I want to run Raspberry with Pinetab. I will see the other systems you proposed, maybe something will work out.
I’ve got a pine tab sitting still in its box because I’m so dissatisfied with with current OS images.

Ubuntu Touch is adequate but lacks... a lot. It really feels like an OS without a community. I go to add software and it’s a sea of outdated and broken web app wrappers as far as the eye can see. I can’t easily find clear documentation for how to just install or compile normal software. It feels so bare bones I basically never use it. Sad since I was so exited I bought 2 pine tabs.

Mobian reminds me of Debian kFreeBSD... it’s a weird offshoot and I’m sure some people love it. But I don’t... 90% of my opinion is probably because because I’m stuck with phosh. Which feels like it’s fighting me at every single interaction. About the only thing that I feel it does adequately is register touch inputs, everything past that feels wrong and/or broken to me. It’s just not for me.

SailfishOS seems to require some weird compile your own install image dance, I spent an hour trying to find the pine tab image to download but got no where (this could be my own Google fu failing me, but that’s just indicative of a different problem, bad documentation)

Arch seemed promising but I’m not interested in installing a customisable distribution that doesn’t give me a choice to customise beyond phosh. I tried the Plasma Mobile arch image I found and it didn’t boot for me.

It frustrates me that the PinePhone has such ludicrously excellent support while my awesome PineTab has had nearly nothing since launch... we still don’t have an experimental plasma mobile image on any distribution.
(02-14-2021, 05:14 AM)TechDragon Wrote: SailfishOS seems to require some weird compile your own install image dance, I spent an hour trying to find the pine tab image to download but got no where (this could be my own Google fu failing me, but that’s just indicative of a different problem, bad documentation)

It frustrates me that the PinePhone has such ludicrously excellent support while my awesome PineTab has had nearly nothing since launch... we still don’t have an experimental plasma mobile image on any distribution.

SailfishOS has no image, but a script that does the work. https://github.com/sailfish-on-dontbeevil/flash-it IMHO it's self explaining, but if you need any help, feel free to ask.

Haven't checked the Manjaro image lately, but there's one for Plasma mobile https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...ma-mobile/ The dev image.
(02-15-2021, 01:15 AM)peperjohnny Wrote: SailfishOS has no image, but a script that does the work. https://github.com/sailfish-on-dontbeevil/flash-it IMHO it's self explaining, but if you need any help, feel free to ask.

Haven't checked the Manjaro image lately, but there's one for Plasma mobile https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...ma-mobile/ The dev image.

He's very right, you can even run the script on a PBP, and it takes less than a few minutes.

Last I checked, about a month ago, certain updates to Manjaro prevented it from booting/booting+video. After updating the image packages, it stopped booting into phosh Sad
(02-15-2021, 01:15 AM)peperjohnny Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 05:14 AM)TechDragon Wrote: SailfishOS seems to require some weird compile your own install image dance, I spent an hour trying to find the pine tab image to download but got no where (this could be my own Google fu failing me, but that’s just indicative of a different problem, bad documentation)

SailfishOS has no image, but a script that does the work. https://github.com/sailfish-on-dontbeevil/flash-it IMHO it's self explaining, but if you need any help, feel free to ask.

whoops. My mistake, I just rechecked and I got SailfishOS confused with postmarketOS. 

I’ll have to give SailfishOS a try, as I’ve never used it before. I’ll probably get around to giving postmarketOS a go again now I have a convenient Linux desktop machine at hand (for a while there my only Linux device has been my PineTab) to do the image building using pmbootstrap.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu touch rotation GloriousCoffee 3 1,174 01-09-2024, 06:01 AM
Last Post: polrus
  Touch doesnt rotate on Sway in PineTab2 cgbarros 4 1,884 08-03-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: cgbarros
  UBPorts won't let me connect to my Google account Baslow 4 6,430 10-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Last Post: n3rDy