BSD host of issues on reboot from fresh install
Slow progress, but still tinkering.

FreeBSD 13.0-Release has been installed, configured and running successfully on my RockPro64 w/2GB memory. I had varying degrees of success with the 13.0 release candidates and unofficial 12.2 versions. I own (4) RockPro64, 2 with 4GB memory, and 2 with 2GB of memory.

Hardware issues dogged my FreeBSD NAS project from the get-go. One of the 2GB RockPros has a bad LAN and consistently drops packages. As does one of my home network switches. This made attempting to update and download software unreliable. Before figuring out the software issue, I did a clean install on an Intel Nuc to get a feel for FreeBSD on a better supported architecture and what a joy! This stiffened my resolve for FreeBSD on a RockPro64.

As of today I have 13.0-Release installed on a 2GB memory RockPro64, supporting (5) 2.5" HDDs, in the Pine64 NAS case, w/80mm case fan sucking air through the case, a JM585 chipset based SATA to PCIe 4X lane card, using 32GB eMMC module for system storage. The hardware is powered by a 650watt PCU, that has been modified to run without being plugged into an ATX motherboard. All of the HDDs use the PCU Molex/SATA power connectors, with appropriate adapters. The 80mm case fan is hardwired into the PCU. I cut the head off the SoC board 4pin power header to SATA power adapter from the NAS case kit and spliced it onto a 12v lead and ground from the PCU. Using (2) Rosewill 3.5" to 2.5" drive adapters I was able to place (5) 2.5" HDDs (salvaged from old laptops) into the NAS case, with the ability to host up to (6) drives. Originally I was worried about airflow bypassing the heatsink and HDDs, but the cabling creates a natural air dam ensurring fresh air is reaching the CPU and HDDs when the case fan is running.

The HDDs are configured into two Zpools:  one Raidz, the other a mirror. My end goal is to make a circuit that is digitally controlled to turn the drives on and off, so as to extend their operating lives, but allow for 24/7 availability of the drives.

Since this NAS is as much a NAS as it is a lab for tinkering, I hardwired a switch for the eMMC module/SD card jumper pins, and mounted it to the NAS case in the rear. I also hardwired a 1/8" (2.5mm) stereo jack to the UART pins of the GPIO (pins 6, 7, & 8) and it is physically compatible with the USB UART serial adapter for the PinePhone, PineTab, and PineBookPro. It should be noted that when doing an installation of FreeBSD using UART from an iso from FreeBSD.org, that using both minicom and picocom, the installer graphics do not translate well to a terminal. I found it easier to use a monitor and keyboard for the installation until first boot.
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.

Messages In This Thread
RE: BSD host of issues on reboot from fresh install - by MNtinkerer - 06-06-2021, 01:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OpenBSD install on eMMC without serial dcnetfan 1 175 04-12-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX