BSD host of issues on reboot from fresh install
That is very exciting! In many ways these modest chips paired with FOSS are like taking a family sedan and converting it to a race vehicle. It is a salute to human ingenuity to make the most of something and then share it with the community.

I have Samba configured and running now, essentially. The mounted folder has 2 text files in it but eventually will hold all our personal files, photos, and movies. Next step is the PCIe to Sata board. I have both the Pine64 board and a 4-port board based on a Marvell chipset. By the end of the coming weekend both will have been evaluated with FreeBSD. The 4-port board works with ayufan's Ubuntu image with a Linux 5.xx kernel.

My end goal for this project is RAIDz2 (5 drives), but will have to wait a month or two before I can afford the new drives and new PCIe to Sata board. Right now I have a Linux based RAID6, another RAID0 with LVM on top of it, whose size fluctuates, and an offline (2) USB 8Tb backup using WD Mypassport external drives. I was hoping to shuck the cases and use the latter in the RAIDz6 array but they are USB based controllers.

A FreeBSD desktop on RockPro64 opens the possibility to a homebrew smart TV or some other fun network appliance. I came to FreeBSD with more modest goals but playing with the operating system and seeing what the community is up to, it is sort of like being an explorer in a barren desert. If your passion is discovery, and you desire a less travelled road, then there is plenty here to keep one occupied!
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.

Messages In This Thread
RE: BSD host of issues on reboot from fresh install - by MNtinkerer - 03-03-2021, 02:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OpenBSD install on eMMC without serial dcnetfan 1 169 04-12-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX