Quote:~#: pkg install update
~#: pkg install upgrade
~#: pkg install samba

pkg install update would try and install a package called "update"

The correct commands are

Code:
# pkg update
# pkg upgrade

But pkg upgrade does an update anyway, so you only need the latter to do upgrades.

I'm surprised the package install didn't work for samba, what's the output of:

Quote:# pkg search samba

My apologies, I don't know why I reported "install" in there...printing out history and the syntax was correct. The system is now giving a different output than before when searching for packages. Before it would throw an error like it couldn't find any or none were available. It wasn't until trying to fetch the port tree that I realized the system clock was set to January 6th, 2021, and that was why the package search wasn't working. Got that fixed then when trying to install sudo (sudo-1.9.5pl), the system gave a version error and prompted to ignore the mismatch and continue [Y/n]. Now when running pkg search samba the printout shows:

Quote:p5-Samba-LDAP-0.05_2          Manage a Samba PDC with an LDAP Backend
p5-Samba-SIDhelper-0.0.0_3    Create SIDs based on G/UIDs
samba-nsupdate-9.16.5          nsupdate utility with the GSS-TSIG support
samba411-4.11.15              Free SMB/CIFS and AD/DC server and client for Unix
samba412-4.12.9_1              Free SMB/CIFS and AD/DC server and client for Unix
samba413-4.13.1_1              Free SMB/CIFS and AD/DC server and client for Unix

I believe the problem was the system clock, since I unplug the RockPro64 after poweroff. The one I have in production with an ayufan produced Ubuntu image has sat several days unplugged but seemingly updates the system time as soon as it is back on. Both devices do not have the optional battery pack, but have always had ethernet access to the internet. Will have to set ntpd to run at start up if this is going to continue with a FreeBSD host. The long term fix is to build a custom UPC and leave the NAS on all the time.

BTW, 13.25 hours since running portmaster and we are at:

[1255/5364] /usr/bin/c++ -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -D__STDC_FORMAT_MACROS -D__STDC_LIMIT_MACROS -Ilib/ExecutionEngine/JITLink -I/usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/llvm-10.0.1.src/lib/ExecutionEngine/JITLink -Iinclude -I/usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/llvm-10.0.1.src/include -O2 -pipe -DNDEBUG -fstack-protector-strong -isystem /usr/local/include -fno-strict-aliasing  -DNDEBUG -isystem /usr/local/include -fPIC -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -Werror=date-time -Werror=unguarded-availability-new -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-field-initializers -pedantic -Wno-long-long -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wcovered-switch-default -Wno-noexcept-type -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wdelete-non-virtual-dtor -Wstring-conversion -fdiagnostics-color -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -O2 -pipe -DNDEBUG -fstack-protector-strong -isystem /usr/local/include -fno-strict-aliasing  -DNDEBUG -isystem /usr/local/include  -fno-exceptions -std=c++14 -MD -MT lib/ExecutionEngine/JITLink/CMakeFiles/LLVMJITLink.dir/JITLinkMemoryManager.cpp.o -MF lib/ExecutionEngine/JITLink/CMakeFiles/LLVMJITLink.dir/JITLinkMemoryManager.cpp.o.d -o lib/ExecutionEngine/JITLink/CMakeFiles/LLVMJITLink.dir/JITLinkMemoryManager.cpp.o -c /usr/ports/devel/llvm10/work/llvm-10.0.1.src/lib/ExecutionEngine/JITLink/JITLinkMemoryManager.cpp
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.

Messages In This Thread
RE: BSD host of issues on reboot from fresh install - by MNtinkerer - 02-27-2021, 02:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OpenBSD install on eMMC without serial dcnetfan 1 169 04-12-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX