BSD host of issues on reboot from fresh install
>> I am assuming this means I have to compile my own packages at this time, using a different system, then install them to the target machine, a RockPro64.

Packages will be available for 13.0 for sure, but 13.0 isn't actually released yet.

How did you try and install packages BTW?

Have you tried compiling ports on the rockpro64? Ports is one of the benefits of FreeBSD, all the dependencies are managed for you.

Try this (as root)

Fetch and extract the ports tree (if you already have the ports tree run portsnap fetch update)

Code:
# portsnap fetch extract

Compile portmaster (compiling with portmaster makes dealing with dependencies better)

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster
# make install clean

There might be some dialogs to choose options, defaults are usually fine

Then you can install samba:

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/net/samba413
# portmaster

Sometimes there are tons of options for a port since it has zillions of dependencies, and it can be annoying to go through the dialogs when you want the defaults anyway. You can set BATCH environment variable to ignore setting options:

Code:
# setenv BATCH yes

(using the default shell or export BATCH="yes" if you have install bash)

Be interested to know how long it takes to compile ports directly on the RK3399. I compiled a few ports on a raspberry pi model B and it took a very long time.

Cross compiling for ARM isn't difficult. You can setup poudriere on a VM with FreeBSD (see for example, https://github.com/herrbischoff/cheatshe...6-howto.md) and that will setup a package repository on your VM that you can then use to build the packages on the x86 machine and install to the rockpro64. I'm going to try this now with my raspberry pi model B (my rockpro64 hasn't arrived yet).

Ashley

Messages In This Thread
RE: BSD host of issues on reboot from fresh install - by ashleymills - 02-26-2021, 01:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OpenBSD install on eMMC without serial dcnetfan 1 173 04-12-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX