BSD host of issues on reboot from fresh install
(02-25-2021, 12:03 PM)ashleymills Wrote: Running a NAS on FreeBSD will be easy, and the tools will work amazingly.

The desktop is going to be an issue because there isn't any drivers for the Mali GPU right?

I hope so. Being completely new to BSD, and thus porting I feel like I just washed ashore on a Greek island with a guidebook to Spain written in Russian, but only able to understand English. To avoid the X-Y Problem I would like to host a Samba server on the FreeBSD version above (13.0 but am ok with porting a previous version if necessary) however when trying to update or install packages the machine throws an error stating there are no packages for my version. I am assuming this means I have to compile my own packages at this time, using a different system, then install them to the target machine, a RockPro64. I was hoping for a shortcut that doesn't involve spinning up a FreeBSD VM on my Debian machine, and trying there. Since FreeBSD 13.0 is the first to support RockPro64 I would like to start there but if I should take a step back and try porting 12.2 to the RockPro64 with the below linked tutorial as a rough guide, I'd be happy to spend the weekend trying. This machine would reside on a home network and be a dedicated Samba server, though I was hoping to use it as a test bed for other local services as I become more familiar with FreeBSD.

Web searches for tutorials have proven fruitless, at least specific to FreeBSD and RockPro64. This tutorial was written at a pace I can at least grasp the concepts of, trust the Bash commands are accurate, and learn from but it is for OpenBSD, and only covers porting the OS, not compiling shell utilities needed to do what I think I need to do. I haven't found anything helpful to discovering/deducing dependencies, organizing, compiling packages. I share the sentiment of this post when reading the Porters Handbook, that is to say the handbook flips between writing to an audience of beginners and making assumptions only the experienced will understand. I am happy to give back to the community once I know what I am doing, but found the Linux from Scratch project friendlier to the beginner, since it linked to topics outside of the scope but necessary to complete the project.
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.

Messages In This Thread
RE: BSD host of issues on reboot from fresh install - by MNtinkerer - 02-25-2021, 02:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OpenBSD install on eMMC without serial dcnetfan 1 175 04-12-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX