Please RESUME development...
I heard the term "Abandonware" used on here recently. Please say it isn't so! I really had high hopes for UT, it was by far the early pack leader, and still has the most promise but now just about every other distro has surpassed it since it seems development stopped here months ago. Now UT seems to be dust in the wind. Yes, there's daily OTAs, but it seems like each one is scheduled and just updates the "last updated" time/date on autopilot regardless of whether any dev work was actually done. I suspected early on UBports was slacking off because the financial incentive was dropped when Pine64 decided to release the subsequent batches dedicated to new dev teams, so maybe the only worked for the $10/phone for the UB ports CE phones? Some good work continued after but much slower. Yet here we are and nothing of value has been done for months (except helping Manjaro get Lomiri too perhaps).

The worst part is that their devs are never on here and never take feedback. Yes, i realize they have their own forum, but it's not intuitive or user friendly, and this is where the actual pinephone users are, so they should at least have a presence here.

I don't like being negative, but i'll light a spark if it gets something done. If anyone could kindle this flame under the logs over at UBports until they catch on... That'd be great! 

C'mon guys! I say this because i love you! Truly, UT is awesome, i really love your work. Please just get going and finish it!

If Luke or anyone else at Pine64 could pick up the phone and call the UBports team and give em a nudge, that would be Brilliant!
Well, I agree that it's not progressing as fast as I would like. My main beef is that I can't seem to call out on T-Mobile.

But I just watched a video a couple days ago between Dalton and Florian, and it doesn't sound like they are giving up. The conversation didn't focus on PinePhone exclusively, but they mention it a few times. It does seem they are more intersted in Sony. I hope they get the basic phone tech worked out for PinePhone and T-Mobile. It is a challenge to do this sort of work for free, and I am glad for their efforts.
The developers were never here in the first place. The team isn't large, and they support multiple devices. They are hard at work updating the outdated os they inherited from canonical. If you want to ask them something maybe put in a bit of work and ask them on their q&a that happens every fortnight.

Nice job on the tabloid headline...
(10-12-2020, 12:28 AM)Cree Wrote: I heard the term "Abandonware" used on here recently. Please say it isn't so! I really had high hopes for UT, it was by far the early pack leader, and still has the most promise but now just about every other distro has surpassed it since it seems development stopped here months ago. Now UT seems to be dust in the wind. Yes, there's daily OTAs, but it seems like each one is scheduled and just updates the "last updated" time/date on autopilot regardless of whether any dev work was actually done. I suspected early on UBports was slacking off because the financial incentive was dropped when Pine64 decided to release the subsequent batches dedicated to new dev teams, so maybe the only worked for the $10/phone for the UB ports CE phones? Some good work continued after but much slower. Yet here we are and nothing of value has been done for months (except helping Manjaro get Lomiri too perhaps).

The worst part is that their devs are never on here and never take feedback. Yes, i realize they have their own forum, but it's not intuitive or user friendly, and this is where the actual pinephone users are, so they should at least have a presence here.

I don't like being negative, but i'll light a spark if it gets something done. If anyone could kindle this flame under the logs over at UBports until they catch on... That'd be great! 

C'mon guys! I say this because i love you! Truly, UT is awesome, i really love your work. Please just get going and finish it!

If Luke or anyone else at Pine64 could pick up the phone and call the UBports team and give em a nudge, that would be Brilliant!
With this tone and mindset you will soon be blocked here.
Down-voting unfortunately is no longer available.
(Everything I say is a layman's viewpoint, so if I get anything wrong, someone please set me straight)

If anyone is calling UBPorts abandonware, it might be people just trash talking or working on outdated info because Canonical abandoned it. I've nothing but respect for the UBPorts team, they're a pretty small group and they're doing a lot of work.I think their stunted progress nowadays is not from a lack of effort, but because they're tackling a much bigger scale of project than Mobian right now.

Mobian-project supports 3 devices atm, whereas UBPorts took over a project that already supported a LOT more devices that are already "daily driver" ready. UBPorts has to split their attention so many ways even without the pinephone:

-They're constantly porting new devices
-They have to maintain an ever-growing library of devices that all have varying levels of BS(proprietary blobs, shoddy drivers, etc)
-I feel like on some level they have to focus on certain things like expanding hardware support because that's where their investors point? (That's just my gut feeling with zero research behind it.)
-The team is trying to replace all the broken and awkward parts of Ubuntu Touch with much more updated and functional parts (Mir is a whole weird thing that I'm not sure needs to exist).

Back when Ubuntu Touch was maintained by Canonical, they made a lot of questionable back-end software choices. Additionally, because it was neglected by Canonical for a good while before they officially abandoned it there's some pretty outdated components in there.

When I first got my pinephone UBPorts CE, I spent a few days trying to learn how to develop for Ubuntu Touch. It's kind of a fustercluck right now for a noob programmer like me. They're going through a huge shift to newer tools and almost half of their documentation is still for the older, abandoned Canonical tools that are no longer supported.

I would say that progress is definitely going to be slow for Ubuntu Touch as they iron out the backend and developer toolsets. I think this is already their gameplan, but If they can polish up the backend and make it easier to develop for while the rest of the community figures out decent hardware support for the pinephone, then in a couple years we might be looking at something great and way different than the other distros.
(10-13-2020, 09:20 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: (Everything I say is a layman's viewpoint, so if I get anything wrong, someone please set me straight)

If anyone is calling UBPorts abandonware, it might be people just trash talking or working on outdated info because Canonical abandoned it. I've nothing but respect for the UBPorts team, they're a pretty small group and they're doing a lot of work.I think their stunted progress nowadays is not from a lack of effort, but because they're tackling a much bigger scale of project than Mobian right now.

Mobian-project supports 3 devices atm, whereas UBPorts took over a project that already supported a LOT more devices that are already "daily driver" ready. UBPorts has to split their attention so many ways even without the pinephone:

-They're constantly porting new devices
-They have to maintain an ever-growing library of devices that all have varying levels of BS(proprietary blobs, shoddy drivers, etc)
-I feel like on some level they have to focus on certain things like expanding hardware support because that's where their investors point? (That's just my gut feeling with zero research behind it.)
-The team is trying to replace all the broken and awkward parts of Ubuntu Touch with much more updated and functional parts (Mir is a whole weird thing that I'm not sure needs to exist).

Back when Ubuntu Touch was maintained by Canonical, they made a lot of questionable back-end software choices. Additionally, because it was neglected by Canonical for a good while before they officially abandoned it there's some pretty outdated components in there.

When I first got my pinephone UBPorts CE, I spent a few days trying to learn how to develop for Ubuntu Touch. It's kind of a fustercluck right now for a noob programmer like me. They're going through a huge shift to newer tools and almost half of their documentation is still for the older, abandoned Canonical tools that are no longer supported.

I would say that progress is definitely going to be slow for Ubuntu Touch as they iron out the backend and developer toolsets. I think this is already their gameplan, but If they can polish up the backend and make it easier to develop for while the rest of the community figures out decent hardware support for the pinephone, then in a couple years we might be looking at something great and way different than the other distros.

Mostly, I agree with this assessment.

@Cree When I stated in a previous post, that I would treat this distro like abandonware, I didn't mean that the distro is actually abandonware. Aside from slow progress it seems the team has a hard time keeping up with or grooming their issues board. Instead when I generate my reports I will no longer be submitting issues to their gitlab.

With all of this in mind. A lot of us are excited for the pinephone to be consumer ready. I get the frustration, and I want to stress, these developers are working to fix the problems with UBtouch, I'm certain that when they get there the os will be solid. Lets not be too critical folks. This is what happens when we buy a device that isn't even hardware complete let alone that has the thousands of dedicated hours that went into commercial/closed-source operating systems. These guys are working on this as a way to give back to the open source community, please be patient with them as they work through these issues.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stagnant development? KNERD 0 1,212 04-20-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: KNERD
  Development build 805 is great mercrapper 3 2,848 01-17-2022, 03:32 PM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  How Do I Switch To Development Channel syrinx 0 1,946 07-31-2020, 12:52 PM
Last Post: syrinx