Anyone have successfully used Wi-Fi calling
has anyone successfully used Wi-Fi calling?

I know, that tracfone says Wi-Fi calling, but I have not been able to  successfully use it
Do you know how tracfone's Wi-Fi calling works?
(10-12-2020, 10:46 AM)wibble Wrote: Do you know how tracfone's Wi-Fi calling works?

That's why I'm asking. I am currently unable to get it working
(10-12-2020, 01:17 PM)RodneyMyers Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 10:46 AM)wibble Wrote: Do you know how tracfone's Wi-Fi calling works?

That's why I'm asking. I am currently unable to get it working
'How it works' as in what technology it uses - is it effectively a SIP phone, are they using the SIM for authentication etc. Different telcos have been known to implement wifi calling differently.
T-Mobile has WiFi calling. It is an application which is included which each of their telephones you purchase.
If the telephone comes from somewhere else, you have to download the application from the app store.
Since we dealing with mostly Linux distros, I don't see that happening soon.

Even then, it seems T-Mobile has that application very well protected. For Android, it does not even show up in the Google Play store unless, and only unless you have a cell phone actually connected to the T-Mobile network with one of their SIM cards. Not even those APK download sites have it,
(10-14-2020, 10:00 PM)KNERD Wrote: T-Mobile has WiFi calling. It is an application which is included which each of their telephones you purchase.
If the telephone comes from somewhere else, you have to download the application from the app store.
Since we dealing with mostly Linux distros, I don't see that happening soon.

Even then, it seems T-Mobile has that application very well protected. For Android, it does not even show up in the Google Play store unless, and only unless you have a cell phone actually connected to the T-Mobile network with one of their SIM cards. Not even those APK download sites have it,

Ah that would make sense. Too bad for us then :-(
Until some major manufacturer starts using one of the Linux distros, I really do not see it happening.

I recall when Android first came out, I was thinking it was not going to make it.
However, Google did a couple of things to get manufacturers on board.
One was they did all the development on it, and making it free to use. That saves a a lot of money for the manufacturer. Meanwhile Microsoft was charging for their Windows Mobile.

Also, they held a contest for best Android app, with the top prize around of 8 million USD, if I am not mistaken. That caused a hoard of people to get onboard for that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bluetooth Calling in the Car LMalilil 4 4,965 12-28-2020, 09:34 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Phone Calling - Extremely Bad Quality mischmerz 5 5,917 09-21-2020, 04:37 AM
Last Post: SwordfishII