Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone?
(12-16-2020, 08:23 AM)Benatti Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 06:55 AM)Benatti Wrote: Estive tentando habilitar gps no meu pinephone 32G emmc / 3G RAM e não funcionou, observei que quando uso um "gps usb dongle" nele aparece /dev/ttyACM0 e /dev/gps0 e os programas marble e foxtrotgps funcionam e sem o "gps usb dongle" nós temos /dev/ttyUSB1 (gps) mas não temos /dev/ttyS1. Parece que o /dev/ttyS1 está fazendo falta para o gpsd, sendo que a saída de gpsmon é quase a mesma com ou sem "gps usb dongle".
Teria um comando AT para habilitar renomear ou criar /dev/ttyS1 e ver se resolve o problema?
Também encontrei diferença no funcionamento do foxtrot editando /etc/default/gpsd em DEVICES="/dev/ttyUSB1"
agradeço a atenção de todos.
esqueci de mencionar que estou usando mobian.

Google Portuguese >> English:
Quote:Benatti

I've been trying to enable gps on my pinephone 32G emmc / 3G RAM and it didn't work, I noticed that when I use a "gps usb dongle" it appears / dev / ttyACM0 and / dev / gps0 and the marble and foxtrotgps programs work and without the "usb gps dongle "we have / dev / ttyUSB1 (gps) but we don't have / dev / ttyS1. It looks like / dev / ttyS1 is missing for gpsd, with gpsmon output almost the same with or without "gps usb dongle". Would you have an AT command to enable renaming or create / dev / ttyS1 and see if it solves the problem? I also found a difference in the functioning of foxtrot by editing / etc / default / gpsd in DEVICES = "/ dev / ttyUSB1"

Quote:Benatti

Thank you all for the attention. forgot to mention that i'm using mobian.

I have not used the AT command and tty interface but my GPS finally worked today after seeding with AGPS again. Please see my previous posts on this thread. I used mmcli and alastair-dm's scripts:
https://gist.github.com/alastair-dm/2632...e555fa6628

For convenience, I called the first script from the second script so I only had to execute one script from the command prompt, as follows:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# stop ModemManager, run python script to upload AGPS data then restart ModemManager

sudo systemctl disable ModemManager.service
sudo systemctl stop ModemManager.service

# now execute first script (added next line to alastair-dm's second script)[url=https://gist.github.com/alastair-dm][/url]
/home/mobian/load_agps_data.py

sudo systemctl enable ModemManager.service
sudo systemctl start ModemManager.service

Also, for line 83 of load_agps_data.py I am using
Code:
res = sendCmd('AT+QGPS=1,255,1000,0,10')

As with all my previous unsuccessful attempts, I used agps. Today it was agps-msb and one cannot use both agps-msb and agps-msa at the same time.

I don't know if the modified sendCmd or the msb version of agps make a difference but, after enabling running the scipts and
Code:
[code]mmcli -m 0 --location-enable-agps-msb

I typed:

Code:
mmcli -m 0 --location-enable-gps-raw
mmcli -m 0 --location-enable-gps-nmea

My internal GPS almost immediately sprang to like and worked very well today for the first time (finally)! I took a 2 hour drive with my phone under the windshield of my car. I experienced several 4G data dropouts, due to marginal cellular service in some areas. Nonetheless, the GPS kept working, as evidenced by:

Code:
mmcli -m 0 --location-status
mmcli -m 0 --location-get

Map worked between the 4G data dropouts. It is unfortunate the Map doesn't cache data. It is bad enough to keep losing the map but the program also consumes my very limited 4G data every time Map reconnects to the Internet and comes back online--loading the same data over and over. Dodgy  I hope a map caching feature can be added to Map soon.

I have not done apt dist-upgrade for over a week and will make a backup of my eMMC Mobian image before doing so. I'm concerned that a bug "fix" may impact my newly-won GPS functionality. It seems to me that eg25-manager is undergoing quite active debug at the moment.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? - by calinb - 12-16-2020, 10:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my pinephone melted norayr 6 908 04-04-2024, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone refusing to charge while suspended tiol 1 1,095 04-02-2024, 10:54 AM
Last Post: joH_N_Doe64
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 718 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 351 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,845 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,404 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 1,004 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 8,156 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,462 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot
  Using optical drives with Pinephone cdforever 2 1,211 07-18-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: cdforever