Sim cards and carriers, discussion
(11-30-2020, 04:39 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Using TracFone  it is easy to activate a AT&T or a T-Mobile sim card in the USA.
Net10 also makes it easy to activate a GSM carrier.

Using AT&T Prepaid,  it is easy to activate, their talk and text works, it does "connect" to the internet, but both times I have activated a direct ATT prepaid sim card,
I get the  'ATT Portal message'  that my account does "Not include data"....  ( Even though I do have paid data )

While using multiple "PureTalk" sim cards, (which is a AT&T "Reseller"  Talk, Text, and Data all work very easily.
You just need to manually enter the correct APN info...

OF Course this is with 'working' versions of the operating systems.

(1) Mobian and (2)Arch have proven the most dependable for me.
  Post Market and Manjaro can work and some do manage to get UBTouch to work.
(Above listed operating systems in order of performance from my experiences )

*  ( UBPorts was the first O.S. that worked on my Brave Heart phone very early this year, but it has not worked for me for many months )

If you have limited command line abilities as I do,  I suggest staying with Mobian and Arch operating systems,  
   they both do work fine by just filling-in all the correct information on the "Settings" Page.

I have not used a UBPorts phone,  but I do have one Brave Heart, three Post Market Convergent, and one Manjaro Convergent phone(s).

Contrary to some reports, you do not need the APN information to talk or SMS text with an activated sim card..
  BUT you must have the APN information to connect to cellular Data, (and when MMS texting does finally arrive.)

* >  I am located in southern Arizona, USA,  I was one of the first in line to order my Brave Heart phone. (November 2019)

While being "Proficient" with Linux can help,  I have had a pretty good experience so far as just a "Linux User"...
    "Details" do matter,  fill-in all of your "Settings"  !

I have spent a lot of hours reading many of the posts here, there is a LOT of useful help on this forum, but one must realize not all of the posts are
  accurate,  and some are very complex to understand.
   Some may be out dated, how to fix an OS problem 6 months ago, may be different today.

(11-29-2020, 04:50 PM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: I'll be honest I didn't read through all of this, but as of today this is my experience. US Carriers - T-Mobile not working SIM isn't read at all. Verizon SIM shows up, but after going to Verizon today they couldn't activate me for a prepaid account due to the IMEI not being able to be registered. I could have registered my other phone and tried to switch the SIM and maybe that would have worked, but I didn't attempt it. Prepaid AT&T SIM isn't readable on the pinephone either. I could finds a SimpleMobile SIM kit in stores but might order one. My only concern is I won't be able to register the IMEI, so end the end I might have to register my other phone and hope that switching the SIM the pinephone will work.

I have not yet been asked for my " IMEI "  while signing up for " PrePaid "  services...
  Across 5 assorted Pine phones, activating with multiple different Prepaid carriers, and resellers, MVNO's....

That is not to say they do not ask,  just the carriers I have encountered so far have not "asked me"...

AND all of those activation's were accomplished 'online'  or  'on-phone'  ...

( I DO have a data connection problem with one of my AT&T direct prepaid accounts that may require me to visit an ATT retail store.)
Thanks for sharing and writing all of that information. I'll search on my own, but is there a specific write up you suggest for someone who feels comfortable in the command line and doesn't mind taking the time to research and understand the commands before entering them, but is a new linux user ?
I haven't adjusting any setting and thus far have just been buying SIM cards throwing them in and then getting depressed bc none of them work. I've gone through  Simple Talk, Verizon ( which gives cellular signal randomly after multiple boots of the phone ), T-Mobile, and AT&T and none of those work for me except Verizon, randomly. I'd honestly switch carriers, if I could get the pinephone to work on one of them.
I had the PMOS edition, but gave it to my nephew and that phone, that phone simply worked or worked with my carrier T-Mobile, but the Manjaro edition doesn't and that's the edition I'm trying all the SIM cards in.
For Japan providers:
SoftBank: doesn't work. They literally can only support iPhone, Android, and garake (which are flip phones, which all run AOSP Android if they support 4G LTE, WiFi, or both).
Rakuten Mobile: works! No IMEI locking, no specific OS only, no other shinanigans. And on top of that they're way cheaper too. Although just like with SoftBank, their ID verification AI can't read my ID, so I had to let SAGAWA (one of the many postal service companies) verify at the front door instead.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(11-29-2020, 09:47 PM)W64 Wrote: I was wondering if certain distros work better than others for call quality. I have been able to activate both AT&T and Verizon through MVNO's with great signal and 4G LTE all day.  <snip>
I'm using H20 prepaid wireless (an AT&T MVNO). The SIM card was previously installed in my Moto G4 and Moto E phones. H20 is functional for voice, SMS and data on my PinePhone. Sadly, it doesn't work at my home and I must wait for the Inland Cellular (a small CDMA provider) to support VoLTE before I'll be able to use my phone outside of the big cities here in rural Idaho. Even Verizon does not yet provide Gen4 and VoLTE to its rural Idaho customers.

I've found Mobian to offer the best stability and fewest mobile network connection problems as well as the most functional GUI interface, but I still find myself using the CLI quite often.

I've come to the conclusion that the PinePhone is really a "GSM phone", which for the most part supports VoLTE so it can be used to access CDMA carrier networks too (via VoLTE only, where it's available). Also, WCDMA (listed as supported in the PinePhone modem spec) is a GSM "thing." It first brought Gen4 performance to the "GSM carriers."

The problem with the rural USA is no providers supports VoLTE (or even Gen 4) throughout their service areas. In summary, the PinePhone is currently a poor choice for people who need coverage in many rural areas but it's a great choice to support community open source smartphone development!
@NobodyNew1

Are you still having problems with your 'Manjaro' edition phone ?

I have seen at least 2 other forum members who discovered the antenna wire was not connected on their Manjaro phones.

After "connecting" the wire, their phones are now working.

Of the 5 assorted Pine phones I have, only Verizon sim cards are not recognized in my experiences.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I have tried Patriot mobile, T-mobile, Verizon, and AT&T was the one that worked, but it was intermittent signal with Ubuntu Touch so I tried Mobian and it work well.
I've got US Mobile "Super LTE" (Verizon) working calls in and outbound VoLTE, SMS in and outbound, and LTE data with a blank APN. Their "GSM LTE" (T-Mobile) doesn't receive SMS with the fast.t-mobile.com APN. Mint Mobile (T-Mobile) works in all regards with VoLTE with their provided APN. This is all under Manjaro Beta 3 stable and testing branches.
(12-08-2020, 10:03 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Of the 5 assorted Pine phones I have,  only Verizon sim cards are not recognized in my experiences.
I have an old unsubscribed Verizon prepaid card. It's recognized just fine. I didn't attempt to place a call, because it's unsubscribed, but I get good signal strength indications.
(12-09-2020, 12:22 PM)ronnybob Wrote: I have tried Patriot mobile, T-mobile, Verizon, and AT&T was the one that worked, but it was intermittent signal with Ubuntu Touch so I tried Mobian and it work well.

Hi, Big Grin exactly same on my side (I tried T-mobile)
Mobian is working ...with ubuntu I have same issue ...just Manjaro Phosh Beta2 and Plasma Alpha7 is working
now I am using Mobian, thank you
Does Tracfone have different procedures for registering SIM cards than they do for flip phones? Because your statement does not at all reflect my past experience. In the interests of privacy, I have set up several "burner" flip Tracfones anonymously, by purchasing a Walmart gift card for cash, and then using the gift card to pay for my Tracfone account. Of course, Tracfone requires certain "PI" to be typed into an on-line form to set up the account, but they have no way to verify it. Now, it has probably been about three years since I last did this, but I am unaware of any changes in the governing regulations that would force service providers into exercising more vigilance in order to obtain accurate information.
(12-22-2020, 03:05 PM)samiam Wrote: Does Tracfone have different procedures for registering SIM cards than they do for flip phones? Because your statement does not at all reflect my past experience. In the interests of privacy, I have set up several "burner" flip Tracfones anonymously, by purchasing a Walmart gift card for cash, and then using the gift card to pay for my Tracfone account. Of course, Tracfone requires certain "PI" to be typed into an on-line form to set up the account, but they have no way to verify it. Now, it has probably been about three years since I last did this, but I am unaware of any changes in the governing regulations that would force service providers into exercising more vigilance in order to obtain accurate information.
I did the same with the cash gift card transaction and forms several years ago just to see if privacy was possible and it worked for me too. I used the phone for a couple of years. It might be worth trying again with the PinePhone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Mobile Carriers 67comet 29 5,973 07-14-2021, 11:47 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pinephone inexpensive carriers and free carriers linux_n 8 1,668 07-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Cannot boot from SD cards any longer. MadHopsMan 8 1,116 05-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Avatars
  Performance improvements, discussion Soong 1 431 05-03-2021, 12:27 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  pinephone 2 specs discussion - 5G WiFi6 BT5 NFC? - mitcoes 13 2,744 04-02-2021, 06:55 AM
Last Post: bitsandnumbers
  Mobile Carriers in the United States aren 105 52,500 11-17-2020, 03:09 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  If the modem is certified with carriers, why won’t they activate SIMs? desca 3 2,258 09-07-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: desca
  US SIM Cards not working on Pinephone shapestech 4 2,448 06-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Last Post: psycho_driver