Locked out with (Seemingly) Easy PIN
I feel like I'm losing my mind, here, so hopefully someone can help me out, here.  I apologize if this duplicates someone else's thread, but it didn't appear that this particular problem was already represented on a couple of searches.  I may have missed something, though, since searching for "PIN" turns up basically every thread as a substring for "pineXYZ."

So, the phone showed up this afternoon.  I opened the back and connected the battery.  I walked through postmarketOS's setup process.  And then, after seeing that there was no software to speak of available, locked the phone to avoid wasting the battery and went to go deal with some other things.  So far, so good.

Coming back a few hours later, though, I'm stuck at the lock screen.  My PIN doesn't seem to work, so I just get the "Invalid Passcode" animation.  I can log in via ssh, but that seems to be a different user, so I'm not sure that's helpful.  I've tried variations on the PIN on the chance that I just zoned out or slipped when entering it, and I tried the 147147 default.  The only thing I haven't been able to try (because I can't see the setup process anymore) is the possibility that my PIN--chosen because of the shape, rather than the numbers--was input on a number pad with a different orientation, but I don't think it was different.

I assume that there's no way to bypass the lock screen, or else it wouldn't be a particularly good lock.  But is there a way to use my not-quite-right ssh connection to change the main account's PIN?  Do they maybe share a PIN at the operating system level?  Failing that, since I've done literally no work on the phone beyond setting my name and timezone, is there a straightforward way of running some sort of factory reset so I can start over?

Thanks!  (And once I'm back in, I can wonder why none of the software controls seem to wake up the camera and Cheese just doesn't run at all.  But that's a problem for later...)
Unexpected and baffling progress!

I left the Pinephone for the night and, unplugged, whatever it was doing idle wiped the full battery. Plugging it in to give it all another shot, I put in my decryption passphrase and that log-in bypassed the log-in screen.

And then, the phone idled for a few minutes and went back to the lock screen, which I still can't unlock.

So, good news, if there's a way to fix the PIN, I can get access to the home screen and apps. Bad news, "unlock the phone by letting the battery run down" doesn't seem like a sustainable workaround, so I'm still open to options.
If you can't find a solution, and no one gets back to you, I'd suggest simply reflashing it, or flashing something to an SD card and running off that for now (and leave the issue in the background for now).
I have had the same problem, I'm guessing the keyboard map for the pin is different during setup than to unlock the phone.
SSH was working though, so I changed the password of the user "user" to a 5 digit pin and I was able to unlock the screen.

Code:
sudo passwd user
Where in the setup did I set a PIN? I don't remember doing it at all and I had to disable the lock screen.

So far, Postmarket has been a complete bust. almost nothing works and I cannot even log in under my own username.

I want to install KDE, so I can at least see something familiar...
(09-13-2020, 10:43 PM)IAteYourBacon Wrote: I have had the same problem, I'm guessing the keyboard map for the pin is different during setup than to unlock the phone.
SSH was working though, so I changed the password of the user "user" to a 5 digit pin and I was able to unlock the screen.

Code:
sudo passwd user

Interesting, I assumed the password was the pass code and didn't want to mess with that.  I'll give it a shot after the phone recharges.  Thanks!
Just reporting the same issue, it was a 100% easy pin and I had used it before, now I am locked but can hold power to shutdown and boot to unlocked.
The default pin is 123456 no one really spells it out. I suggest you change it to something you can remember