UBports Pinephone progress
Information 
When I first started with UBports I wasn't able to use cellular at all and my SD card would not mount automatically either. Now that its been some time what is the progress of it for the Pinephone? Ive heard of updates getting worse and not working with the Pinephone but since I no longer have it on my phone I don't know.  I dont want to keep reflashing my Pinephone and the process of that is quite slow from 6 - 10 MB/s. How does it at this point compare to Mobian OS?

1. Is Mobian a better near daily driver for Pinephone over UBports?
2. Is the updates for UBports regressing for  the Pinephone?
3. Is the SD automount working now for UBports?
4. Which one is the most stable one?
5. Which one has less issues with Cellular?

Mobian is dedicating itself to the PInephone first and making it a priority. UBports Im not sure if they have decided to make Pinphone a priority as well at this point in time.
(08-27-2020, 12:44 PM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: When I first started with UBports I wasn't able to use cellular at all and my SD card would not mount automatically either. Now that its been some time what is the progress of it for the Pinephone? Ive heard of updates getting worse and not working with the Pinephone but since I no longer have it on my phone I don't know.  I dont want to keep reflashing my Pinephone and the process of that is quite slow from 6 - 10 MB/s. How does it at this point compare to Mobian OS?

Mobian is dedicating itself to the PInephone first and making it a priority. UBports Im not sure if they have decided to make Pinphone a priority as well at this point in time.
As of today, I installed the latest build of UT (167) on my UBports CE. There are two main issues that keep me from using UT over Mobian at this point.
1. I can only receive calls but not make calls. I am currently using Mint Mobile in US (T-Mobile network). I can send and receive texts (SMS) on UT.
2. The volume of sound is too low for any realistic use at this point. This is regarding the Morph browser and any phone calls that I can manage to get to work. I installed the uVolMan app but it did not affect the volume output levels. For some reason, the app was deleted after I updated the phone.

I actually prefer the UT layout over Mobian and the Morph browser is much faster and better suited to a mobile layout versus that of Mobian's Firefox ESR or Gnome browser. I am currently running Mobian on an SD card and both incoming and outgoing calls work and I can make and receive texts (SMS). The sound quality on Mobian is much better and I am also able to use Bluetooth speakers as well. Both UT and Mobian have a working camera, but they both have severe lag and very poor resolution, which hamper them from being useful at this point.

This is my personal experience and not necessarily a reflection on the quality of UT or their efforts. I believe other people have been able to get full call functionality on UT with other carriers and I know other people have also experienced the same issues I have using T-Mobile/Mint Mobile.

For me, the phone has to be able to function as a "phone" which means being able to make and receive calls as well as be able to hear be heard. Texting then follows and then a great browser. My UT version is close but not close enough to actually use at this point. Mobian is able to meet my basic call and texting needs and although the Firefox browser is slower and not well suited for mobile, it still works.

One of the great things about the Pinephone is the ability to run different OS on an SD card. I occasionally try Manjaro Plasma as well. I really like the layout on it but for me, it is extremely buggy and I cannot get it to make or receive calls even though it automatically recognizes my SIM.
PinePhone UBports CE and Mobian on SD, Mint Mobile, Pinebook Pro Manjaro
(08-27-2020, 12:44 PM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: When I first started with UBports I wasn't able to use cellular at all and my SD card would not mount automatically either. Now that its been some time what is the progress of it for the Pinephone? Ive heard of updates getting worse and not working with the Pinephone but since I no longer have it on my phone I don't know.  I dont want to keep reflashing my Pinephone and the process of that is quite slow from 6 - 10 MB/s. How does it at this point compare to Mobian OS?

1) technically, YES
2) it goes back and forth. 2 steps, 1 step?
3) unsure of this
4) Mobian
5) Mobian

I too prefer UT layout and morph, and think the finished product will be much better. Just wish it would get there sooner.
(08-27-2020, 10:19 PM)Cree Wrote:

1) technically, YES
2) it goes back and forth. 2 steps, 1 step?
3) unsure of this
4) Mobian
5) Mobian

I too prefer UT layout and morph, and think the finished product will be much better. Just wish it would get there sooner.

As someone who has been objectively testing these OSes in an out of the box fashion, I agree with these assessments holistically. Ultimately, the mobian guys are killing it, they are focused on fixing the issues that prevent the pinephone from being a daily driver. I wouldn't be surprised if (like manjaro) The lomiri interface makes its way to mobian in the future. Although I would project that out to the distant future to be honest.
Big Grin 

1. Don't know, sticking with UBPorts
2. Updates seem to be improving core hardware functions, but causing many previously working apps to break.  
3.  90%. There are about 10% fail to recognize SD card on bootup.
4. No idea
5. Don't know

I am a T-mobile user.  I try to use this as my primary, but keep an old android with no cell chip around as a WiFi only backup.  texts work.  phone calls receive only.  I can't call out.  Most apps break.  Battery life poor.  Camera useless.  No working flash.  

Still, I manage to run Octave on it, which helps with machine learning.  Lots of advantages if you are really into Linux and command-line interaction.
I got the UT Community Edition PP and have a SD card that has Mobian on it and I use Mobian almost exclusively over UT but occasionally I'll boot up UT to see the progress and it just is quite a ways behind Mobian in a few aspects. In particular, responsiveness when texting and how long it is actually able to send and receive messages. On UT after about an hour it'll say I have service but won't let me call or text and is fairly non responsive in general when writing text messages but on Mobian I am able to go a few days without issue as far as service goes. I have honestly been pretty disappointed with the lack of progression with UT on the PinePhone. Seems like they have been putting a lot of focus on the camera which doesn't make sense to me because of two reasons. 1, the camera isn't good in the first place and 2, calling/texting doesn't reliably work so why not focus resources on that over a camera? Anyway though, flash a SD card with Mobian and you'll be pleasantly surprised how much further along it is than UT.

I also really like that the command line on Mobian is actually useful because you can use apt but with UT having a read only root file system a lot of the stuff I'd use a terminal for is impossible without changing that.
The Ubports team has more on their plate than just the Pinephone, there is lots of work going on but most ofit is not Pinephone specific. I know there is a significant complication of the Pinephone needing a new display server to even work, and running on mainline kernels is new to the system.

Also as I understand it, there are Ubports people working with the Mobian and Manjaro folk with the goal being to move UT to more up-to-date components; especially ofono, which is definitely an aging version n UT still.

One of the current major projects is moving Lomiri to Debian for easier distribution to many other OS's, so Lomiri on other OS's may come sooner than we think.

Personally, the hardware may still be glitchy under UT, but Lomiri is hands down the best phone UI out there, period.
(10-05-2020, 01:01 PM)Giiba Wrote: The Ubports team has more on their plate than just the Pinephone, there is lots of work going on but most ofit is not Pinephone specific.

I checked the project page a few days ago and there is no work specific for the Pinephone. Bug tracker is stale.

Quote:One of the current major projects is moving Lomiri to Debian for easier distribution to many other OS's, so Lomiri on other OS's may come sooner than we think.

Does Lomiri make texts work reliable on the Pinephone? The problem that people have is, that the Phone doesnt have the core functionality running, but devs work on the next UI because it ist the best. period. So in a few weeks, i can make no phone calls with a much better UI.
(10-06-2020, 05:50 PM)june Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 01:01 PM)Giiba Wrote: The Ubports team has more on their plate than just the Pinephone, there is lots of work going on but most ofit is not Pinephone specific.

I checked the project page a few days ago and there is no work specific for the Pinephone. Bug tracker is stale.

Quote:One of the current major projects is moving Lomiri to Debian for easier distribution to many other OS's, so Lomiri on other OS's may come sooner than we think.

Does Lomiri make texts work reliable on the Pinephone? The problem that people have is, that the Phone doesnt have the core functionality running, but devs work on the next UI because it ist the best. period. So in a few weeks, i can make no phone calls with a much better UI.

I don't disagree that communication could be better (when isn't that true however?) but the reality is the Ubports resouces are spread thinner than the other folks. I've been using UT on my Pinephone and whatever is going on there are distinct improvements regulariy happening.

If you are seeking daily driver, no UT is not ready yet, but neither do they claim to be. Also I think you misunderstand the UI work... by making Lomiri work with upstream components they plan to then move those components back to UT. Remember, it is an Ubuntu 16.04 based system.

I agree with the developers that it makes more sense to do the work to bring UT an up to date version of ofono, than patch the old one curently in use.
(10-05-2020, 12:33 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: I also really like that the command line on Mobian is actually useful because you can use apt but with UT having a read only root file system a lot of the stuff I'd use a terminal for is impossible without changing that.

Solution for that is pretty simple:

mount -o remount,rw /

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 251 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
  Images won't boot past pinephone logo remington_luger 9 1,176 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: remington_luger
  GhostCloud workaround for PinePhone mark1250 1 608 08-12-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  online accounts in UBports Uturn 2 925 03-30-2021, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  UBPorts Not Working Pinoideae 7 2,794 03-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  How to enable Ethernet with UBPorts and convergence dock? piney-tim 1 1,213 11-27-2020, 07:40 PM
Last Post: piney-tim
  UBPorts Convergence MonCon 0 1,074 11-24-2020, 04:25 PM
Last Post: MonCon
  Looks like I found a mild reason why UBPorts for pinephone hasn't seen much progress. plainenough 13 7,726 11-21-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  "No network" on new UBPorts community edition pinephone professorsnapper 6 3,259 10-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Last Post: htc_tattoo
  Horrible energy consume on Pinephone/UB-Touch firefox-58 9 5,061 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: plainenough