Catch up time for my Fav OS!
Okay Ubuntu touch devs. I've tested the field. Mobian, Arch, and Manjaro are way ahead on functionality. But UB touch is by far the nicest, snappiest, crisp distro for mobile. Once complete this will be my favorite! But with others achieving daily driver status, what gives? Some improvements in the last month for sure by i dont get the order of priorities. Most of our feedback here doesn't seem to be getting applied. Im sure one or 2 more OTAs could implement everything where the other distros have surpassed. Is it just that there's less activity from UT devs on this forum?
Which distros are daily driver ready? I'm on UBPorts development channel and PostmarketOS on an SD card and neither are ready for daily driving with the Pinephone. I'm patient and can wait, but just wondering if I'm missing something.
(08-29-2020, 07:31 PM)RenardRoux Wrote: Which distros are daily driver ready? I'm on UBPorts development channel and PostmarketOS on an SD card and neither are ready for daily driving with the Pinephone. I'm patient and can wait, but just wondering if I'm missing something.
mobian and arch are both daily driver ready. Not 100% functionality like selfie cam, but all the basic necessities incl. Regular cam, calls, sms, data, wifi, bluetooth..

Manjaro, and from what i hear, SXMO can be daily drivers too with some tweaking, but not out of the box. You need to activate and install a couple extras for them.
UBports supports a number of other devices, and devs are spread thin. Also, not all of the devs actually own a Pinephone. Ubuntu Touch, I've been told, is much more mature on other devices.

I don't know how many of them even check this forum, but I've been able to talk to a number of people in the community on Telegram in the groups Ubuntu Touch on PINE64 and UBports [ENGLISH]. Some of the team also does a bi-weekly Q&A, which is streamed on YouTube. The Pinephone progress is a topic that gets discussed quite a bit.

If things aren't progressing fast enough for you, you could always check out the issue tracker and see if there's anything you could help in solving. That's what I've been doing.
(08-29-2020, 10:29 PM)Cree Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 07:31 PM)RenardRoux Wrote: Which distros are daily driver ready? I'm on UBPorts development channel and PostmarketOS on an SD card and neither are ready for daily driving with the Pinephone. I'm patient and can wait, but just wondering if I'm missing something.
mobian and arch are both daily driver ready. Not 100% functionality like selfie cam, but all the basic necessities incl. Regular cam, calls, sms, data, wifi, bluetooth..

Manjaro, and from what i hear, SXMO can be daily drivers too with some tweaking, but not out of the box. You need to activate and install a couple extras for them.
I've just spent a couple of days checking out Mobian. I suppose we each have our own definition of "daily driver ready." For me that's stable phone calls inbound and outbound, sms and mms, reliable gps, and stable wifi and mobile data (all on T-mobile). I could probably go without improved gps. Nobody seems to be there just yet, so I will patiently wait unless I can find a way to contribute. Because I can I may, as you suggest, fidget with Manjaro a bit and see if I can get any closer. Thanks for your response!

@YepYepperson Thanks to you as well. I'll see if my limited abilities would be of any use with the issues listed on GitLab.
(09-01-2020, 10:00 PM)RenardRoux Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 10:29 PM)Cree Wrote:

I've just spent a couple of days checking out Mobian. I suppose we each have our own definition of "daily driver ready." For me that's stable phone calls inbound and outbound, sms and mms, reliable gps, and stable wifi and mobile data (all on T-mobile). I could probably go without improved gps. Nobody seems to be there just yet, so I will patiently wait unless I can find a way to contribute. Because I can I may, as you suggest, fidget with Manjaro a bit and see if I can get any closer. Thanks for your response!

@YepYepperson Thanks to you as well. I'll see if my limited abilities would be of any use with the issues listed on GitLab.
Im not sure why but ive heard T-Mobile and verizon dont work well for lots of people with pinephones in the US. Sad, i used to use T-Mobile when i lived there! I live in Canada now though and my calls, sms, data, wifi all work and are stable with all distros. The reason some aren't daily driver ready for me is for other reasons like gps, UT's backwards camera and insanely bright screen etc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Neutron Time or Atomic? Rocky 1 2,037 03-07-2020, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Rocky