What is jumpdrive?
I saw:
https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Jumpdrive

Ok, it looks like you can flash jumpdrive into a microSD and boot the phone. Does it also say this is a tool collection?

Then I read people use USB to boot with jumpdrive without using a microSD card?

Is this like a small OS just to fix things?

Can anyone with patience, explain a little bit? Not too technical, please

thanks
From the wiki:

Quote:The internal eMMC flash storage can be flashed using the Jumpdrive utility by Danct12 and Martijn from postmarketOS. This utility boots from micro SD and exposes the internal eMMC flash storage when the PinePhone is connected to a computer. The process of flashing an OS to the exposed and mounted eMMC is identical to that of any other storage medium - e.g. a SD card. You can use the 'DD' command or a utility such as Etcher or Gnome Disks, etc.
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=..._Jumpdrive

"Jumpdrive" just gives you access to the eMMC via USB. It converts the PinePhone (or Tab i suppose ) into an USB to eMMc adapter.

Instead of flashing your OS (Ubports for example) to the SD card and use your phone from there, you can decide to flash it to the eMMC (internal memory of the phone) and have the SD card slot free for overall purpose.

To do so, flash "jumpdrive" to SD, boot your Phone, connect it via USB to yor desktop computer and you will see the eMMC of your Phone like any other removable medium (USB Stick etc.). Now you can flash the OS to the eMMC. Remove the SD card and it will boot from eMMC.

Hope that helps. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong...
(08-05-2020, 03:24 PM)guenther Wrote: From the wiki:

Quote:The internal eMMC flash storage can be flashed using the Jumpdrive utility by Danct12 and Martijn from postmarketOS. This utility boots from micro SD and exposes the internal eMMC flash storage when the PinePhone is connected to a computer. The process of flashing an OS to the exposed and mounted eMMC is identical to that of any other storage medium - e.g. a SD card. You can use the 'DD' command or a utility such as Etcher or Gnome Disks, etc.

"Jumpdrive" just gives you access to the eMMC via USB. It converts the PinePhone (or Tab i suppose ) into an USB to eMMc adapter.

Instead of flashing your OS (Ubports for example) to the SD card and use your phone from there, you can decide to flash it to the eMMC (internal memory of the phone) and have the SD card slot free for overall purpose.

To do so, flash "jumpdrive" to SD, boot your Phone, connect it via USB to yor desktop computer and you will see the eMMC of your Phone like any other removable medium (USB Stick etc.). Now you can flash the OS to the eMMC. Remove the SD card and it will boot from eMMC.

Nope you got it.

IMO for OP, if you aren't the exploratory type with this stuff you probably will not like the pinephone....at least not till it is more polished.
(08-06-2020, 09:03 AM)patrickmollohan Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 01:57 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: IMO for OP, if you aren't the exploratory type with this stuff you probably will not like the pinephone....at least not till it is more polished.
What makes you believe OP isn't the "exploratory type"? That the OP asked a question? I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what they are getting into and want to be here because they are, in fact, exploratory. So I would love to know where this assumption comes from. The PinePhone is already a pretty niche device; we don't need the addition of gatekeeping turning people away. Forums are meant for those who have questions and for those that have answers; if you know the answer to the questions asked, share your knowledge with the OP. If you see someone struggle, encourage them. If you can't do that for some reason, if the fact that questions are asked boils your blood, just scroll past. It's that simple. Not everybody knows everything.
Thanks for your words, patrickmollohan!!
I totally agree with you. I love my pinephone and enjoy trying to make apps and my software to work on it. I love to follow the forum and see what other people are doing and how they are doing it.
I usually use a microSD reader or ssh, and although I had heard people using jumpdrive, I didn't know what it was. 
I already have my 'polished' phone, and PP is a hobby.
Thank you again![url=https://forum.pine64.org/member.php?action=profile&uid=18982][/url]
Just by asking you showed you are interested in the tech!

Wierd comment...

Keep going!
(08-06-2020, 10:18 AM)natasha Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 09:03 AM)patrickmollohan Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 01:57 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: IMO for OP, if you aren't the exploratory type with this stuff you probably will not like the pinephone....at least not till it is more polished.
What makes you believe OP isn't the "exploratory type"? That the OP asked a question? I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what they are getting into and want to be here because they are, in fact, exploratory. So I would love to know where this assumption comes from. The PinePhone is already a pretty niche device; we don't need the addition of gatekeeping turning people away. Forums are meant for those who have questions and for those that have answers; if you know the answer to the questions asked, share your knowledge with the OP. If you see someone struggle, encourage them. If you can't do that for some reason, if the fact that questions are asked boils your blood, just scroll past. It's that simple. Not everybody knows everything.
Thanks for your words, patrickmollohan!!
I totally agree with you. I love my pinephone and enjoy trying to make apps and my software to work on it. I love to follow the forum and see what other people are doing and how they are doing it.
I usually use a microSD reader or ssh, and although I had heard people using jumpdrive, I didn't know what it was. 
I already have my 'polished' phone, and PP is a hobby.
Thank you again![url=https://forum.pine64.org/member.php?action=profile&uid=18982][/url]

Since you decided to attack.

Maybe the fact that there is a jumpdrive post on this forum.

Right at the top.

Stickied, so you can't miss it.

Under "Important"

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9444

Maybe because it is a simple search away on the wiki.

Maybe if you look at most of the posts here, they are complaining about things that are VERY clearly defined.

If you can't be bothered to do a basic search how can you be bothered to debug?

If you don't bother to read any of the stuff literally labeled "Important," you are also likely going to be the first to complain about something that is extensively documented.

I was nice in my wording, it was a suggestion. Since you decided to take the stance you did I will be blunt.

If you can't or won't read,this prototype isn't for you. That's what it is essentially a prototype.
It might also be worth mentioning that "jumpdrive like" functionality is built into the UBports update mode - which can be accessed by holding down the volume down key while starting the phone, if you have ubuntu touch installed on the boot medium. I think pmOs has something similar, but haven't tried it.
(08-07-2020, 12:17 AM)patrickmollohan Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 08:42 PM)SwordfishII Wrote: Since you decided to attack.

Maybe the fact that there is a jumpdrive post on this forum.

Right at the top.

Stickied, so you can't miss it.

Under "Important"

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9444

Maybe because it is a simple search away on the wiki.

Maybe it's because if you look at most of the posts here, they are complaining about things that are clearly defined.

If you can't be bothered to do a basic search how can you be bothered to debug?

If you don't bother to read any of the stuff literally labeled "Important," you are also likely going to be the first to complain about something that is extensively documented.

I was nice in my wording, it was a suggestion. Since you decided to take the stance you did I will be blunt.

If you can't or won't read this prototype isn't for you.
Let's clarify: you were the one that started this attack. Make no mistake about that. Assumptions are malicious, and the fact that you defend your behaviour is an indication of you and you alone, not anyone else.
That post you linked is titled "This is how you flash to eMMC easily". Notice anything missing in that? Namely, the keyword "Jumpdrive"?  Also notice that if you actually search for the term "Jumpdrive", the post you linked barely makes the top ten results? As in, it is currently the literal tenth result. This is after a post titled "Testing GPS" which (based purely on the title alone) has absolutely zero to do with Jumpdrive.
Now, let's get into the post itself. "We now have a utility to flash eMMC." is literally the first complete sentence in said post. Cool. What is that utility called? No clue. Not mentioned. Step one is "download the Jumpdrive image". Okay, cool, now I finally can make the assumption this may be the tool referred to in this post. So what are the features and functionalities? What are the use cases?  Is this its own operating system or just a program? Why couldn't other operating systems incorporate this functionality/do other operating systems incorporate this functionaltiy? Without needing to think longer than a few seconds, I could easily create an entire list of questions that are completely unanswered by this post. Turns out, I don't even need to put that much effort into it. Right in the OP, "Then I read people use USB to boot with jumpdrive without using a microSD card?" Hmm, was that in said "important post"?
Again, this is no place for gatekeepers. You want to be an elitist? Go be a Star Wars fan. At least you'd be welcomed if you believe the original, unaltered theatrical version of Empire Strikes Back is the only Star Wars movie to exist. Your kind gets off on that. Or go find a partner, because it sounds like you can let off several years of "steam". In any case, your mentality is cancerous and not welcomed.

Lol Keep making excuses for people buying prototypes that can't be bothered to search or read any of the titled and stickied "important" threads RIGHT HERE.

Yep totally capable people..just like you. I mean really a simple post and you have "all these (sad) questions"

Also there is this thing called paragraphs. Might be relatively new to you. I'm sure you will have tons of questions. You should make a thread.
Guys, from a quick read of this thread I think you both may started with the best of intentions to help Natasha out, but then it all plunged into chaos (possibly after you misunderstood each others intentions and responses).
It now seems that OP's question has been answered to their satisfaction, so lets not make this thread about something this isn't.
I am not too keen on heavy-handed moderation and I trust people are sensible - so I'll just kindly ask you to stop or, if you must talk it out, take it elsewhere in PMs.
Thanks.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(08-05-2020, 03:24 PM)guenther Wrote: From the wiki:

Thank you @guenther!

Although I had some idea on jumpdrive, this helped to clear concepts. Never use it, but I will try just for fun.
Actually I always use Mobian booting from the microSD (and UB ports in eMMC, so I can test both just removing the micro). Do you think flashing Mobian to the eMMC will increase performance? only theoretically? or people are experiencing a huge change?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jumpdrive broken? eMMc broken Uturn 5 1,742 04-21-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  JumpDrive isn't working phytocube 2 1,779 06-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: phytocube
  Jumpdrive not booting Kimberley van Buyten 1 1,042 05-28-2022, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Kimberley van Buyten
Question Differences in Jumpdrive images. jpaulbiss 2 2,956 09-16-2021, 06:30 PM
Last Post: jpaulbiss
  JumpDrive not working due to device busy cnxsoft 3 3,059 08-08-2021, 12:18 AM
Last Post: mouffa
  jumpdrive software might be faulty (or my pinephone hardware) zetabeta 3 3,307 07-20-2021, 03:14 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Jumpdrive is not jumping! Athansor 6 7,378 12-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Last Post: ronnybob