What app do you guys use to watch YouTube? chat on Facebook?
I've been using Firefox for both, but it lags horrendously watching YouTube, sometimes crashing the entire phone.
I've tried installing Clementine for Facebook messenger (a suggestion I found from a random reddit thread), but Electron won't build for Arm64. right now I'm using Facebook chat using the m.facebook.com address, which renders in plain HTML so you have to refresh the messages to get new ones.

any suggestions?
youtube-dl and mpv, dont do facebook.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
I'd just use a browser for youtube. As for FB, I havent used it in years but i would strongly advise against the use of it if you're the sort of person who has a pinephone. If you do use it keep it off your privacy devices at all times and only access it through a dummy android or IOS device that serves no other purpose but to be your occasional checkin point, and where you store no other data.
Firefox, and I don't use Facebook, but if I did, I would use Firefox.

I find a lot of that stuff is just better as a web app. I personally like the more desktop-like experience, I don't like sites being installed as apps. They're usually just electron-bundled garbage when official, and buggy incomplete plugins for other software when unofficial.
do you guys not have horrible performance when watching videos in YouTube? when I load it in Firefox, the phone becomes completely unusable.

the youtube-dl + player is a feature I use on the PC to listen to podcasts, but it seems like a hassle with the tiny keyboard. may give it a try if I can't find any better options

I don't see how the "type of person" has to be a tinfoil hat. I've used Linux for years, and I also use Facebook and Google.
I've been using youtube-viewer for youtube videos, and in spite of the initial pain of setup, and the GTK version doesn't work (I'm assuming it's not set up to run on Wayland), the console version works great. it's basically a console search engine for YouTube videos that launches mpv (by default) to play what ever youtube videos you want.

it's the youtube-dl > mpv solution that doesn't require you to have to manually get links, and the search functionality is pretty great to boot.

still no useful facebook messaging app as of yet. if Anbox worked properly then it might be an option, but alas, it doesn't properly accept input (and it runs horribly slow/crashes often). maybe in time it can be a solution.
I've been using Firefox for youtube, I don't use facebook though. 

On PMOS this unfortunately seems to overheat if I leave it running on the dock. (it throttles, which doesn't reduce the load on the CPU but reduces idle time, which means more heat/power consumpution until either the device overheats or drains the battery.)
Give FreeTube a try, the freetube_0.9.2_arm64.deb.zip build over at GitHub releases works out of the box on Mobian with mobile UI and everything.
YouTube: I never use a phone for that, always a PC.
Facebook: I don't use it at all, as well as any of its other products (WhatsApp, Instagram). And I'll do anything to avoid all of it.

Both Facebook and Google (YouTube) are the biggest abusers of privacy other than government in the world, Google is still the lesser of 2 evils, and most of it is still blockable.
But Facebook is unavoidable once you have an account on it (you can block the like button on other websites though).
on sxmo there's a dmenu script to search with youtube-dl and play via mpv.  Even if you're not using sxmo, you could probably use the script. It's the sxmo_youtube.sh script in the sxmo-utils package on pmOS.