My priorities
Here's what i see being the need for UBports to develop so the pinephone can be a daily driver:
1) contacts import
2) stable cellular connection on all networks incl. Data
3) bluetooth for in-car pairing
4) gps nav functioning
5) camera functionality
6) A VOIP app would be great!
7) in-call volume control
8) guaranteed stable build roll-outs on OTA so users don't need to worry about losing functions with new updates.
From the above, much is now working but i still have some issues. I have phone calls now but dont seem to have data. If i could get data i might be able to make this a daily driver. Unfortunately I cant rely on wifi since most parking in my city is pay by phone only. Doesn't help unless im always parking outside a starbucks.
(07-27-2020, 08:54 PM)Cree Wrote: From the above, much is now working but i still have some issues. I have phone calls now but dont seem to have data. If i could get data i might be able to make this a daily driver. Unfortunately I cant rely on wifi since most parking in my city is pay by phone only. Doesn't help unless im always parking outside a starbucks.

For me on latest build:

- the phone call works in and out but with an absolutely horrible sound/quality. More worse than the first mobile phones ever
- during the call the cpu runs very very hot and  it is a pain to hold the hot phone on the ear

I have just learned: That is a "feature phone" and has a lot of features....... good telephony support is not a necessary part of these features :-(

We are in an early stage of development. Some months away ( it seems) from a usability on a normal, daily base

But in manjaro and mobian I have NO incoming calls with all latest builds. So UB-Touch is the best we can have ATM
Is it possible to have a VoIP app that allows the Pinephone to act as a SIP/IAX2/other VoIP protocol trunk via WiFi? Using the Pinephone as a second phone, it's somewhat difficult to justify the monthly cost, since I don't really need it. But if I could make and receive calls through an Asterisk PBX over WiFi when I'm home like a landline, it'd make the phone a lot more useful.

Basically: IP phone -> Asterisk PBX/other VoIP PBX -> Wifi -> Pinephone > Cellular Network

I know the software isn't there yet for this task. On Android phones I thought there is some kind of restriction that prevents this.
(07-30-2020, 01:46 PM)PineFuture Wrote: Is it possible to have a VoIP app that allows the Pinephone to act as a SIP/IAX2/other VoIP protocol trunk via WiFi? Using the Pinephone as a second phone, it's somewhat difficult to justify the monthly cost, since I don't really need it. But if I could make and receive calls through an Asterisk PBX over WiFi when I'm home like a landline, it'd make the phone a lot more useful.

Basically: IP phone -> Asterisk PBX/other VoIP PBX -> Wifi -> Pinephone > Cellular Network

I know the software isn't there yet for this task. On Android phones I thought there is some kind of restriction that prevents this.
You should be able to do that by running Asterisk/otherPBX on the PinePhone, assuming capabilities haven't been removed since people were doing that ~10 years ago. I'm not sure if you can build wake on wlan into the process so you can let the Pinephone sleep - back then the wifi interface didn't support it.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Asterisk
I'd be happy if the phone just has decent sound/mic quality and worked reliably with calls (in/out) and didn't reject incoming calls randomly requiring rebooting to fix it. I could even live with the bad battery time if it was just reliable. After running the phone for one day now on SIM, missing several calls which I found out later as the phone did not notify me at all, I'll be reverting back to my Android for the time being. Its far from usable for normal day use as it is now. I only hope the call/connectivity issues are prioritized. Sure its nice to have a smartphone alternative, but it isn't worth anything if it can't be used for calls reliably.