RCS - Rich Communication Services
Rainbow 
I have been reading about the new SMS replacement called Rich Communication Services (RCS), but I cannot find any projects working on implementing the standard for the various Linux-based phones. Does anyone know of a project working on it?

Additionally, I am not knowledgeable enough to figure out if the telecommunication providers will translate between the two message types if the receiving end does not have RCS enabled or implemented. Is it possible that as more people start using RCS instead of SMS, Pinephone users will not be able to receive  messages from them (excluding platforms like signal or telegram)?

Is anyone else thinking about this? I am desperately hoping group MMS messages will be implemented in Ubuntu Touch or Mobian sometime soon, but if the world is moving to RCS it seems like a lot of work for something that is going away soon. Not sure when or if the telecommunication companies will stop routing SMS/MMS. Does anyone know more or have thoughts about this?
Not exactly new - it's originally from 2008 and has had ongoing problems with inconsistent support. It's only supported by one of the networks where I am, so not much use to me. Perhaps it's better where you are.