First impressions
(09-08-2020, 12:58 PM)guenther Wrote: Overall it looks very good. Tried to find out if a screen protector is installed (Yes it is)  and by putting it back I pressed on the corner of the screen what causes the corner to bend (and stays bend). Seems the whole screen is made of plastic?
Did an update of UT and installed Dekko2, what causes crashes.  Can't find an other email client for UT!?
Flashed Mobian to SD and booted. Looks promising but not ready. No sound, twisted screen...back to UT
After some hours the wifi stopped working, did an system reset in the settings app. wifi works again.

(09-08-2020, 10:57 AM)eaglecup Wrote: But I noticed the device reports having just 14Gb of storage. The specs say it should have 64? I hope this is just a software problem.

Same here. I guess the partition needs to be expanded. Will try tomorrow....

Edit: I putted the PineTab into "command mode" by holding down the volume button while starting the device. It showed "awaiting command". Connected it to my linux laptop over usb and expanded the home partition with gparted. UT shows 61.2 GB total storage now.

Is there documentation on "command mode" and what exactly needs to be done? I keep trying to hold "volume down" + "power" and it just boots into OS. Do I need to have a USB connection to my computer before I do that? I have tried it with and without. Does it only work on a certain port? I'm currently using the micro usb connection to usb a on my laptop.
(09-12-2020, 08:06 PM)blabub Wrote: Is there documentation on "command mode" and what exactly needs to be done? I keep trying to hold "volume down" + "power" and it just boots into OS. Do I need to have a USB connection to my computer before I do that? I have tried it with and without. Does it only work on a certain port? I'm currently using the micro usb connection to usb a on my laptop.

Press to the center of the volume rocker to press both volume +/- at the same time. I don't know the exact procedure and needed 2 attemps, maybe you find it on UBports website. You connect the USB cable afterwards...
(09-12-2020, 03:57 PM)mindwave Wrote: Well after losing it for a date and DHLs typical US stupidity it arrived yesterday, safe and sound, although I have to admit, when I picked it up off the ground, i was surprised I wasnt thrilled with the package. BUT you guys have shipped al iover the planet so apparenly you know what youre doing.

Im SURE it must be economy,but really DHL is one of the worst carriers INTERNAL US, thats available. Which is why they dont do door to door anymore... but I digress.

Im pretty impressed, The back is textured, and considering I just moved into a house with tile EVERYWHERE its a great idea. Matter of fact I woke up thsi morning to find my 1 month old Toga Tab (which was considerably more $) lying face down on said tile and just knew it was toast, but its intact.

The Ptab, whoever said it was thicker than the average tablet I cant imagine what their comparing it to certainly not anything in the sub $250 range.

I was disappointed when I saw your processor  setup of choice, but after working on my own raspberry tab/notebook for the last several month I certainly understand, with your resources this must have made trimming it down MUCH easier.

One thing I am looking forward to is a battery test.
My own creation is using a 10kmWh setup and It seems to be lasting all day (8+ hours), and thats with zero software tuning or battery savings ideas.

The NEW Raspad3, that I just ordered (hey it was a LOT cheaper than the first one I never receoved) says up front its looking at 4 hours. Thats REALLY sad, I almost DIDNT order it because of that, but  hope Im learning enough with my own that maybe I can make a change

But I didnt REALLY get the PT to hack the HW, so far your HW has always been pretty solid (I have 2 laptops one of hich - new pro- is a daily driver) I hacked a TON of earlytablets, for about 5 years, all the way through android 4.4 than my child needed more attention than my hobby so i went looking at prepackaged goodness, and found that they market blows.

Hence the Ptab

1 - screen seems very solid - i dont see or experienec any issues with any kind of "screen protector" pre installed, but I guess Ill go looking later

2- HW in general is very solid, I have accessed the SD card slot yet but I just downloaded a new image, so we'll see how that goes

3 - keyboard/cover - its nicer than most $25 similar devices, backlighting is a cool idea, i HATE track pads, so dont really care, HOWEVER it seems to me that the one thing that I recall readng in every update, was that they were still working on it, well lets hope they are STILL working! One interesting oddity, it seemed as though I ran into a solid vertical wall an inch from each side of the screen, then I opend a wiondow full screen and the window got smaller. THEN I got out of full screen and the right edge of the wall extended all the way to the right side of the screen, where as the LEFT side of the limit was wherever I dragged the window....very interesteing...but again, I would just as soon plug in a ring trackball rthan use a trackpad...

4 - browsers - well that was interesting. Just for grins I opened morph and typed in mozilla.org and when I went to click on download firefox, i was sent tio a MSFT page to download edge, which failed....? Closed it, opened it again and this time was sent to a mobile firefox link that had to be emailed to me. So then I tried every bowserr I could think of and they were all confused by what OS I was using, except OPERA, opera downloaded a .deb but the app store applications wouldnt loa it, but I thought that was progress. I realize its me and like 4 other folks planet wde who remember opera, but I used that a GREAT deal at work.

5 - Power supply - or should I say LACK of PSU - honestly I dont recal what the order page said, you guys are normally pretty strait shooters so I asume that it wasnt promised so you delivered wxactly what was promised. I actually LIKE the bright RED. Im color blind and have just under a gazillion cables in my office, but there is nO WAY I wont be able to find that one....now a dedicated brck....

6 - I am actually considering a pine phone, becuase I work from home now and for probably at least another year, and so my personal cell has been absconded so MAYBE....My whole family just upgraded our pphones and buying 3 MID/HI tier phones in one season hurts a LOT, but Im still reading, I really dont need fancy, and if I can help the cause so much the better!

OVERALL - you guys have swung for the fences, now its up to the community to get it over the wall. We ALL should have understood that when we paid. I see a few folks asking questions, that like firearms, should disqualify them from buying for AT least another 90 days. Do some reading, some researcjh and decide, you want slim and working? PineTab or Amzon Fire 10, you want experimental and maybe NOT so much immediate function but LOTS of potential? Pinetab or RASPAD. At 4 hours and the looks of a VIC20 the rpad is not my 1st choice, but I like the OS,.......

hope this helps someone

j
Off topic, but I'm curious about your raspberry pi set up. 8 hours? Wow. Love to know how you did that. Message me if it's not top secret....
(09-13-2020, 06:22 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Off topic, but I'm curious about your raspberry pi set up. 8 hours? Wow. Love to know how you did that. Message me if it's not top secret....

GP said "thats with zero software tuning or battery savings ideas". I'll add that I can hook a Orange Pi One up to a 10,000 mAh battery and it'll run for 10+ hours just running Armbian and no tweaks. Then again that's when it's not doing all that much (90+% idle time). Pi Zero can get a good ~3 hours out of a cheap 2,000 - 2,500 mAh battery even when you're maxing out the cpu.
Just thought I'd say Hi.  I got my Pinetab less than 30 minutes ago.  Booted and working just fine!
I'm not using it to type this because the browser has...well..interesting behaviour.  Not unexpected at this stage of the game though.

Thanks for all the hard work!
(09-13-2020, 08:40 PM)mike-451 Wrote: ...the browser has...well..interesting behaviour.

"interesting" means the application windows is being layed out across only half the screen.

It looks like the screen orientation is being reported incorrectly, basically the software lays out in landscape only, but the screen size seems to be being reported as if it were in portrait mode..  That would explain both the trackpad bounding box problem and the "interesting" behaviour mentioned above.
day 5, well after downloading and flashing several different images, I finally got manjaro AND arch to load. Apparently its all down to the new display they used at the last minute

now to determine whether to leave UB alone or add something new, initially i was looking at manjaro, as I despise Ubuntu (I know im in the minority, Im ok w that)

so far im liking most everything i see, the non rotation is a pain, but were still working, definately worth the $ for the experience as long as your not looking for a daily driver

I just saw a review on te chuwi HI10x that said iots just shy of the MSFT Drawu=ing Tab2 or whatever they call it. If thats true msft has a LOT to apologize for.

I bought the HI10x before the PTAB was a GO and have been vastly underwhelmed
(09-16-2020, 10:33 AM)mindwave Wrote: day 5, well after downloading and flashing several different images, I finally got manjaro AND arch to load. Apparently its all down to the new display they used at the last minute

now to determine whether to leave UB alone or add something new, initially i was looking at manjaro, as I despise Ubuntu (I know im in the minority, Im ok w that)

so far im liking most everything i see, the non rotation is a pain, but were still working, definately worth the $ for the experience as long as your not looking for a daily driver

I just saw a review on te chuwi HI10x that said iots just shy of the MSFT  Drawu=ing Tab2 or whatever they call it. If thats true msft has a LOT to apologize for.

Hi10X, or Hi10 Air, or Hi10 Plus? There were 3 models. Just curious because I have the Hi10 Air

Which device are you talking about?
Pretty much ditto the others..
The tabitself isn't too bad.  i don'tmind the feel ....it's actually prettygood,actually!
Ports seem servicable.
Thekeyboard?  possiblythe software,buttrackpad. doesn'twork...not evenclose. Keyboard was ok... Pretthchintz fell.... Butforthe price, i'mnotcomplaining!  
I am havinfdificulty with the on screen keyboard... Especially with the space bar   aparently not the entire area allocated to the spacefunction works?  i am notcorrecting any errors, so youcan maybe get a hint as to thefrequency.  then again... I don't usetablets on a usual basis (as in virtually, never)... Soam notgoing to nlame typing errors entirely on theunit!!
Tge camera doesn'twork... But believethat was stated in the doesn't work list.

Auto rotate doesn't work.  i would REALLY like that to work as the keyboard letters wouldbecloser together
Someof the other on screen keyboard letterrs seem not to always 'trigger' as well.  perhaps screen sensitivity issue... Or more praxtice on my part!
Auto sloding/pulldoen menu in thr upperrighyhandcorner... Doesn't seem to activate any choices.
ineedto findsome useable apps, buti will probably just load Manjaro, or something more useable on it.  

Apps are the name of the game!
Dennis Hoshield
PBPro/ANSI/Manjaro

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Initial Impressions dachalife 6 1,883 06-09-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Pinetab2 - First impressions Surehand53 6 5,113 06-07-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: zer0sig