LACK OF REVISION CONTROL ON ROCK PRO 64
Hi

I purchased one of the first pre production Rock64 pro boards.  It has the following marking:-

Rockpro64_V2 2018-4-11

Searching the wiki and the forum, I can find NO collected information on what changes have occurred and need to be implemented to bring the module up to production revision.

Questions  

1) What is the revision of the modules that are being shipped in the current second batch?

2) Do the modules in the second batch include ALL the fixes for the known defects?  (see below)

3) Why does the wiki not include a list of essential modifications and instructions to perform them?

( The reason I ask is I see that there has been discussion about the removal of a SMD resistor to enable the  NVMe Card interface to power
up, however the Sata card still does not appear to work, IS this a "fix" or not?  I do not want to risk destroying up my board for no gain! )

4)  WHY is there no wiki  information giving a detailed UPDATED REGULARLY list of revision levels, modifications and working / not working status?  The Rock64 pro section of the wiki has  only had two minor updates since the Rock Pro wiki page was created in April:-

Quote:14 June 2018
 m   00:28 
ROCKPro64 Main Page‎ (diff | hist) . . (+120)‎ . . Pfeerick (Talk | contribs) (Added AP6356 wifi datasheet)
     00:15 
(Upload log) . . Pfeerick (Talk | contribs) uploaded File:AP6356 datasheet V1.0 07252014.pdf ‎(AMPAK AP6356 used in ROCKPro64 2×2 MIMO Dual Band WIFI 802.11AC/BLUETOOTH 4.1 MODULE https://www.pine64.org/?product=rockpro6...4-1-module)
10 June 2018
     08:50 
ROCK64 Software Release‎ (diff | hist) . . (+161)‎ . . Pfeerick (Talk | contribs) (‎LibreElec)

Though this board looks neat and  well designed, it appears all effort by Pine has ceased at that point.   It seems to be a very unprofessional approach that there is no apparent rev control on this project!

PLEASE do not suggest I read the Rock64 IRC channel, that is not an accurate source of information... and it is very transient.  I have not got the time to pore through it to glean nuggets of info... It should all be on a dynamic wiki. A "one stop" shop!

regards

Patrick
+1 for more information regarding revisions. I have been struggling to find more information about the revision of the second batch as well. Would be great to have this kind of information on the wiki.
Quote:it appears all effort by Pine has ceased at that point. It seems to be a very unprofessional approach that there is no apparent rev control on this project!

If there is a new revision due next month in the works, how exactly did you arrive at the conclusion that efforts have ceased? Baffling logic.
As for documentation, information regarding getting IR and PCIe working on the early-adopter boards will be available on the WiKi later this week or early next week (in short, when I find the time to write it up and I'm traveling this weekend). About PCIe - the delay in sharing information is largely due to 1) the issue was identified recently (2 weeks ago) and 2) since it requires a minor hw mod, potential software solutions had to be considered first and this took some time.

I'm sure that updated schematics will be uploaded in the future too.

edit: yes, the second batch resolves all known issues.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(06-14-2018, 04:43 AM)Luke Wrote: ...
About PCIe - the delay in sharing information is largely due to 1) the issue was identified recently (2 weeks ago) and 2) and since it requires a minor hw mod, potential software solutions had to be considered first and this took some time.

Thanks for the message Luke. Am I correct to understand that the PCIe issues are resolved as well in the second batch (I just want to confirm this so that I can order or still wait a bit longer)?
(06-14-2018, 05:35 AM)Yoast Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 04:43 AM)Luke Wrote: ...
About PCIe - the delay in sharing information is largely due to 1) the issue was identified recently (2 weeks ago) and 2) and since it requires a minor hw mod, potential software solutions had to be considered first and this took some time.

Thanks for the message Luke. Am I correct to understand that the PCIe issues are resolved as well in the second batch (I just want to confirm this so that I can order or still wait a bit longer)?

They are yes. Just one resistor had to be removed from the PCB, thats all.

Quote:it appears all effort by Pine has ceased at that point. It seems to be a very unprofessional approach that there is no apparent rev control on this project!

Yes, it really has ceased, since they're not revising the board for the main production run, and they're not still working on bringing the board up. :facepalm: You're seeing a board being brought up from stratch, rather than a polished ready to go product.

I do have to agree though as far as updates. I've been trying to keep up in the limited time I can afford to look at this in recent weeks, and would have dearly loved something nice and simple as a matrix/table showing status of all the pheripherals (i.e. working/not working, if working, at which image) and caveats at this point in time, and current priorities. Just something quick and simple, so that it's easy to maintain, and it's possible to just pop in and see what's what.
(06-14-2018, 05:46 AM)Luke Wrote: They are yes. Just one transistor had to be removed from the PCB, thats all.

Think that might be worth getting a highlighted photograph with some advice on best method to remove it.

I get that its fine for those with temperature controlled soldering who do not suffer from shaking hands and to dig it out with chisel tip, but apparent those those fine words on IRC is all there has been....nothing official here.

Lets be honest. I am not touching that resistor until it appears here and high res. end of...

Sorry but Pre-Production isn't a get out jail of card... Pictures/Text and tips please, Pls  and Ta's
(06-14-2018, 07:13 AM)boudiicca Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 05:46 AM)Luke Wrote: They are yes. Just one transistor had to be removed from the PCB, thats all.

Think that might be worth getting a highlighted photograph with some advice on best method to remove it.

I get that its fine for those with temperature controlled soldering who do not suffer from shaking hands and to dig it out with chisel tip, but apparent those those fine words on IRC is all there has been....nothing official here.

Lets be honest. I am not touching that resistor until it appears here and high res. end of...

Sorry but Pre-Production isn't a get out jail of card... Pictures/Text and tips please,  Pls  and Ta's

Sure. Luckily its the first in a row of resistors and comes of quite happily with a cheap-o soldering iron.
Xalius thought me a trick for removing components soldered at a factory which involves adding a little solder first and then removing the component. Works well for me.

Here is what you'll need to remove (already removed in picture):
[Image: CgRigdG.jpg]

Hi Luke

Two points.

1.  That picture I have seen before, it is a RESISTOR that has been removed not a transistor. Are you showing the correct information?

( This goes to my point there is NO OFFICIAL rev information )

2. According to the text in the post showing that original picture, the author states it apparently fixed powering the NVMe card, but did NOT fix the sata card!

Does the sata card work with the new release of modules?   What was done to fix it?

I blew a lot of money on a pre production card, heatsink, sata card and nvme card!  it would be very nice to be able to up-rev the board to a current working module.  I have access to SMD tools and a binocular microscope to see the  smds. I cannot do reballing tho'.  All I need is some accurate information.

thank you

regards

Patrick
Indeed, its a resistor - was awfully tired yesterday when responding Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PWM fan control low power Connar 0 1,321 12-12-2021, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Connar
  control RP64 power on LMM 0 1,835 04-15-2021, 02:59 AM
Last Post: LMM