Suggestion: better performing pinephone
(02-13-2021, 06:10 AM)nodoze Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 04:49 AM)AndrewBlackmiller Wrote: On one hand because stronger usually means more expensive ...and on the other hand I think we have to do something against these "planned obsolescence" problem.

If we use our resources - a mobile phone for instance - with more care we safe our environment in the long term and a lot of money in the short term -> win -win situation Wink
For instance - would you buy a new car if just by doing a service it will run as fast as new? Wink

Trust me, I know what's possible just by doing the right Software-Optimizations, because I've done this in the past many times on my dally job.
You wouldn't believe what's possible Wink

And maybe you guys can add some further ideas to move forward in that direction?

Best regards from Vienna,
Andrew >:o)
This is the 'Pinephone Hardware' subforum;
I will gladly use the 'Pinephone Software' subforum to make any Software Optimization recommendations I have there.

I won't be going into the 'Pinephone Software' subforum and telling threads that are pursuing software solutions &/or alternatives that hardware is the only acceptable question to be asked nor that Hardware is the only answer.

Some of us want to do things with Linux Phones that the Pinephone will never be able to do because of the hardware limitations no matter how well you optimize the software.  Some of us want true convergence and want to be able to do advanced containers, virtualization, & more which do require software but also require hardware that is expandable and it is not just about the Central Processing Unit (CPU) core speed...

--- snip ---

Hi nodoze,

I was thinking about an appropriate answer to your somewhat harsh reply but I think the last 5 posts gave you the right answers, better than I could do it Wink

But let me add just one important thing:
We have to see a "linux mobile" as a compound of hardware AND software. To get one part more powerful is just half or less of the equation.
BTW - this is why it absolutely makes sense to discuss software-optimization related to hardware in the hardware-thread Wink

And again. I think we can get the Pinephone on actual specs to a level of usability that is on par with much "faster" and "more advanced" mobile phones running Android or iOS. And I also agree that any future "linux mobile" will benefit from any optimizations done now!

So lets stop talking about "powerful hardware" if we just have to kick the Bits to do their job faster Wink))

Best regards,
Andrew

(BTW: I'm not a native speaker so please excuse my poor English :| )

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestion: better performing pinephone - by AndrewBlackmiller - 02-15-2021, 02:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my pinephone melted norayr 6 961 04-04-2024, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone refusing to charge while suspended tiol 1 1,124 04-02-2024, 10:54 AM
Last Post: joH_N_Doe64
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 746 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 384 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,904 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 56,483 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,447 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 1,046 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 8,227 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,518 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot