Any PINEMUSIC player project? or a crowdfund to test demand
If it is "cheap" enough (~$100) I would buy it. BUT at the moment the market has cheap mp3 players and expensive Audiophile players and nothing really in between. (I bought a cheapest  high-end possible).
I don't believe in audiophile functionality, but wanted good analog output, and uSD card support.

A real problem with making a mp3 player is that you need GOOD software, while pine normally makes without software, and leaves this to the community. So I can only see this project succeed if a software community is involved with it from the beginning.

I love to carry my HUGE collection with me, but that doesn't work with normal mp3 software since they create a database for their (unneeded) fancy features. I just want to pick the a directory (album) from the file tree and play the album.
I even don't use playlists.

Current players that support large uSD for audiophiles who have huge file-size per track (flac DSD ...), instead of huge amount of tracks (small mp3s); where the database stuff starts slowing / failing on the low power CPUs.

So I would love top have a pine player but it will need some software community, I am will to contribute to for my use case.
A solution might be to store the files in directories and only support database based features when a database is available which could be generated with a companion application on the connected PC.

Needed features:
- high quality audio HW,  codec and analog amps
- uSD card(s), large  xs; minimal 1, expect 2
- headset 3.5mm!
- Large battery life
- minimal audio file support: ogg, flac, mp3
- USB: work as USB mass storage (optional work as USB HQ output codec)
- optional BT: with enhance audio out codecs (which are mainly proprietary) and appliaction control and optional audio in for using the HQ HE to headset.
- control: buttons, touch, BT app?

I would challenge the SW community to come up with a iPodTouch like application for the pinephone.
Sso pine could later make a phone (like) device with better audio output if demand is there, or if no demand we still have a good media player Smile

Mine 2c Paul

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any PINEMUSIC player project? or a crowdfund to test demand - by pljanson - 05-17-2020, 03:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A post about a Pine-64 Wi-Fi ethernet router project board and enclosure? Omnios 1 662 09-21-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  What about a Pine digital audio player? ClairelyClaire 4 2,555 02-06-2023, 11:17 PM
Last Post: nixcamic
  Article: Auto Flash and Test NuttX on RISC-V BL602 (PineCone) lupyuen 0 1,330 01-24-2022, 05:41 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
Music Suggestion: PINE64 "MP3" Player? unilock 17 15,158 12-27-2021, 01:32 PM
Last Post: feelinggreattoday
  E-Note Device (E-Ink, E-Paper, Project Idea) Sirius 9 9,364 08-18-2021, 08:28 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Would it be possible to have a pine C-64 mini arm computer project board. Omnios 1 3,320 03-27-2020, 06:00 AM
Last Post: pljanson
  PINE music player (with M2 SSDs) mitcoes 3 5,543 12-14-2019, 03:36 AM
Last Post: mitcoes