no permanent MAC address? need it to give Pine64 a reserved IP.
(04-25-2016, 05:27 PM)faddah Wrote:
(04-25-2016, 01:01 AM)tllim Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 10:17 PM)patrickhwood Wrote: Serves me right for reposting a message without trying it out first.  On the AW kernels, it looks like mac_addr is the kernel argument, not ethaddr:

mac_addr=00:06:dc:8b:41:a5

works for me.  Note that both are mentioned here: http://linux-sunxi.org/UEnv.txt so I'm not surprised there's so much confusion, but a quick search through sunxi-gmac.c clearly shows mac_addr as the correct kernel argument.

Now, as for the MAC address printed on the bottom of your card?  Looks like it's a correct and proper address.  It's taken from the address range assigned to Syabas Tech for the Popcorn Hour, which I believe is TL Lim's previous company.

Popcorn Hour player still doing well, still CURRENT company, not "PREVIOUS" company :-)

hello @patrickhwood & @tllim,

thank you for responding.

unfortunately, none of this helped.

i changed my line in the /boot/uEnv.txt file to be —

Code:
mac_addr=00:06:dc:8b:75:26

...and re-booted, several times, to test. it still gives me a random, different MAC address, every time, checking wiht ifconfig -a.

i tried several of the methods detailed here at this linux secrets article, but it was of no help either. i used the methods they had for using iproute2 or macchanger to "permanently" (or so they claim) change the MAC address. none of it worked. rebooted several times after trying each, each time, still a random MAC address on the card, no matter what.

this is very frustrating. anyone else know of something i'm missing here? one person said i asked on an IRC channel suggested i might have to rebuild the kernel with the option i want. i hope this is not the case.

if anyone has any other ideas on making this work so i have a static MAC address, please, the one my Pine64 board came with (00:06:dc:8b:75:26), i would appreciate it. perhaps @longsleep could chime in here and say why the Arch Linux image is doing this, and how to change it, please?

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.

Just to be clear, you're appending the mac_addr=... to the end of the "console=" line, not as a new line, e.g.,

Code:
console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 no_console_suspend mac_addr=00:06:dc:8B:41:a5

Just putting this definition in on a separate line sets an environment variable in the bootloader called mac_addr, but doesn't actually get that passed to the kernel as an argument.

Messages In This Thread
RE: no permanent MAC address? need it to give Pine64 a reserved IP. - by patrickhwood - 04-27-2016, 09:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64: MAC Address is NOT Unique! PDXpi 3 4,876 02-01-2021, 12:12 AM
Last Post: PDXpi
  The Mac Address Would Not Change on Debian, nor Gentoo MarkHaysHarris777 5 8,929 03-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Last Post: grobbs
  Howto use MAC address as printed on the label on the back longsleep 3 6,115 08-21-2016, 07:31 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Pine64+ 1GB Ethernet Port spec ecotack 13 15,808 08-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Last Post: pfeerick