no permanent MAC address? need it to give Pine64 a reserved IP.
(04-23-2016, 06:46 PM)faddah Wrote: hi,

i need my Pine64 A64+ 2 GB RAM board to have a permanent MAC address, yet it seems to get a new, random one every time i restart.

allow me to explain —

i need the permanent MAC address so my home router (Xfinity/Comcast Cable Modem) can give it a permanent IP in the DHCP list. the reason i need that, is so i can do port forwarding and be able to ssh into the board, if i leave it on (currently with Arch Linux, i also have other MicoSD cards that have other OS's, like Ubuntu). if the MAC address changes each time, the router can't find it and just gives it a random IP number, instead of my desired permanent IP that i am looking for, and, of course, i can never log-in to the board.

however, every time i restart the board, it has a new MAC address (???). at least for the ethernet, as that is the only real MAC address for it i see. i've confirmed this both with the router software looking at the board's MAC address each time i've re-started it, as well as with ifconfig -a and dmesg. in fact, dmesg has this line in it —

Code:
eth0: Use random mac address

meaning, it is set up to give a new MAC address on each boot.

is there any way to make it so the board has the same, consistent MAC hardware address each time it is re-booted? any help here would be appreciated.

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.

See this post: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...86#pid5186

Messages In This Thread
RE: no permanent MAC address? need it to give Pine64 a reserved IP. - by patrickhwood - 04-23-2016, 07:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64: MAC Address is NOT Unique! PDXpi 3 4,873 02-01-2021, 12:12 AM
Last Post: PDXpi
  The Mac Address Would Not Change on Debian, nor Gentoo MarkHaysHarris777 5 8,912 03-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Last Post: grobbs
  Howto use MAC address as printed on the label on the back longsleep 3 6,107 08-21-2016, 07:31 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Pine64+ 1GB Ethernet Port spec ecotack 13 15,784 08-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Last Post: pfeerick