Frustrating - Is there any 'good' OS?
I've been toying around with my Pinebook now for a few weeks, off and on.

What I'm concerned about is the low level of activity on this forum. Unless I am missing something, this is the obvious hub for Pinebook news and discussion, yet it is not very popular.

I've tried most of the OS images available for Pinebook, including Android, Q4OS as well as the Ubuntu Mate and Armbian distros - various versions of each.

None have yet worked well enough to provide a reasonable desktop experience  - i.e. no GPU accelerated compositor... unless the very slow performance I was seeing when I did enable GPU composition was just how slow the Mali GPU really is?? Sad

I expected at or near RPi 3 performance - perhaps that was optimistic of me.

Maybe Pinebook is not for me. I'm not a hardcore Linux user, but I think I'm a step or two ahead of an average Ubuntu newbie. I've used Linux, if infrequently, for around 20 years. I don't get down an dirty with core OS development though.

I thought having an expectation of a well performing desktop environment would be easily met. Rough edges I'm used to - there's not been a Linux distro I've used that hasn't had a lot of rough edges, but 3D acceleration and fast 2D desktop composition have been reliable keystones for many years.

Am I really missing something that I should be doing? I must have read through 80% of all the forum posts.

Messages In This Thread
Frustrating - Is there any 'good' OS? - by DigitalStefan - 09-13-2017, 03:36 PM