Console access withouth network or monitor.
(08-26-2016, 06:10 PM)KiloByte Wrote: Not every UART-to-USB cable will work, you need specifically a 3.3V one, anything else may fry your Pine64.  This one worked for me: Adafruit 954.

Instead of screen, it's better to use tio, it allows scrollback.  You do want to read those boot-up messages that scrolled away...

To be able to login on the console (if ethernet is hosed...), /etc/inittab on the Pine64 should include:

Code:
T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 xterm

The console will mangle output beyond a 80x24 region, to fix this you can compile and run this program:sizetty.c or stty the correct size by hand

KiloByte, you are correct, the one I used has a jumper to switch between 5v and 3.3v. I'm not sure how I missed that very important piece of information. I will fix it ASAP. In regards which terminal to use, it's a user preference. I can scroll up and down screen in Fedora and CentOS (my desktop and laptop) as well as I can detach and reattach the session without disconnecting.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Console access withouth network or monitor. - by mypineme - 08-26-2016, 06:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Portable USB-Powered Monitor mribunal 4 9,678 02-03-2017, 05:28 AM
Last Post: stevenmeza07
  Touch Screen monitor/module riahim 4 6,648 07-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Last Post: riahim