Why can't we have an alternative to DHL??
(03-17-2024, 06:32 AM)dachalife Wrote: DHL has provided me the best service (EU) and they are also a lot quicker than postal mail (DHL is about 14 days and through the post 40+).

Every country has their own additional charges, which are always extra fees. DHL sends out an email regarding your country’s specific importation fees as well as an option to easily pay them online before delivery; I have never experienced a separate “processing fee” with DHL.

It seems postal options change over time to different areas, probably due to the number of claims, returns, lost and/or damaged items.

So you are the lucky guy, EU has the best consumer law to protect their customer. May I ask how much extra service charge you pay for your last delivery via DHL? I'm not referring to the import tax. I am talking about DHL charge you extra saying "The shipping you already paid is just for the shipping. I carry your ordered item into your country and I need to charge for that service, so I charge you." I bet they cannot apply any service charge like that in EU countries.

On the Pine64 shopping site, EU even has a separate handling routine. i.e. a separated web page. So my discussion below is not for the EU, it is for the Global page according to the Pine64 shopping site.

The issue I encountered on Pine64 web site for any purchase is:

1. You pay $30 shipping fee (here, you only has one choice. And you don't know there will be a hidden extra fee and don't know how much)
2. You need to pay import tax when the product ship to Canada. (I'm ok with this one, we pay tax on purchase on our local stores too)
3. DHL after receiving the $30 shipping charge already, saying that the item needs to go through the process to enter my country so DHL needs to charge for that action. (This one is the ransom service charge I'm talking about and I do not agree upon)
4. Since DHL charges me for a service that happens on my country, I need to pay extra service tax on that ransom service (I'm not ok for this either)
5. DHL will not email me for that service and cost, do I agree on that or not, they just show up on your door and ask you to pay for it. (It's like: Hey loser, you are screwed! Show me your money or I return your good)

Back to the subject: Why Pine64 do not provide more shipping options?

The 40+ delivery days you mentioned is for surface postal mail. I'm talking about postal service via air. Yes, it will be longer that DHL delivery for sure but should not be over two weeks for most countries. I believe countries not have a world wide flight hub might suffer for a longer delivery time.

I remembered my last order from Pine64, the product (i.e. pinebook pro) is shipped out from Hong Kong. So my assumption is that all products will be shipped out from Hong Kong.

I did a quick research on Hong Kong Post Service about shipping to oversea via air.

https://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/sending_m...index.html

Air Packet Price (i.e. length + width + height on a bubble envelope not exceeding 90 cm or 35.4 inches)

100g or less HKD$24.70 ==> USD$3.17 (exchange rate 1 USD = 7.8 HKD)
101g to 200g HKD$45.70 ==> USD$5.86
201g to 300g HKD$66.70 ==> USD$8.55
301g to 400g HKD$87.70 ==> USD$11.24
401g to 500g HKD$108.70 ==> USD$13.93
501g to 600g HKD$129.70 ==> USD$16.62
601g to 700g HKD$150.70 ==> USD$19.32
701g to 800g HKD$171.70 ==> USD$22.01
801g to 900g HKD$192.70 ==> USD$24.70
901g to 1kg  HKD$213.70 ==> USD$27.39

To make people visualize the weight/price list vs the actual product weight, I did the following:

I have an Amazon 13 x 8.5 inches bubble envelope, it weights 8g
I have a Raspberry Pi 2B, it weights 45g
I have a 3 feet long USB cable, it weights 26g

If I put the above 2 items into the Amazon bubble envelope, it weights 79g. (i.e. less than 100g)

On the top of the above service, Hong Kong Post Office has insurance option one can purchase. It cost HKD$2.50 per every HKD$500. So if we purchase USD$256 (HKD$2,000) item from Pine64, the insurance premium will be HKD$10.00 which is USD$1.28.

Adding Tracking Registered option to the mailing packet will cost HKD$15.5 (USD$1.98) extra.

The web site also mentioned once Pine64 registered an account on the Hong Kong Post Office, the postman can come to the Pine64 office to collect the mailing packet.

If the item is shipped out from China, it will be even cheaper.

Here is the simplified Air Parcel price:
100g USD$1.32
500g USD$6.32
1kg  USD$12.57

for detail, check it out here:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/essenti...e/rate.htm

Again, Why Pine64 do not provide more shipping options?

Let the community decide which shipping option they really want.

Option 1: go for DHL USD$30 shipping plus I don't know how much extra hidden cost.

Option 2: go for Normal Post office air shipment at USD$3.17, optionally add USD$1.28 for insurance, add USD$1.98 for tracking registered option. But with a longer delivery time.

Let the community have alternative choice please. That is my only wish.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why can't we have an alternative to DHL?? - by chip ling - 03-17-2024, 05:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there an alternative email other than shipping@pine64.com Fusion_3.64 5 8,813 07-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Fusion_3.64