Hardwired software or functionality imposed by companies or authorities
(06-07-2021, 04:34 PM)ryo Wrote: Sounds like nice ideas, although from what I understood about Briar so far is that it only works offline if you're near another Briar user.
So quite useless if most of your friends live spread out over the entire country, plus a few overseas (both as nearby as Korea, and as far away as Germany).

The other problem is battery life, while I know the new Linux kernel by Sunxi has fixed it by a whole lot, it doesn't seem to be available for Mobian yet.
And now that summer is really kicking in, my Pinephone gets so hot after just a while being outside, you can probably use it as a portable BBQ.

(06-07-2021, 05:07 AM)biketool Wrote: These tools are needed by oppressed minorities,
Not really sure what you mean by "oppressed minorities"?
(snip)
As for oppressed minorities I literally mean any group which is having their human rights violated by another group who has the power of state violence and financial coercion or at least the power to regionally oppress like rebel militias, organized crime, etc.  Defining who is oppressed on a tech project like this will tend to fragment the community so I would prefer not to pursue the topic except acknowledging oppressed people exist and I hope they might use tools we develop to improve their situation.

As for Briar there is the wifi/bluetooth mesh mode which can pass messages between users not connected to the internet, I am not sure how well this scales vs say Brigdefly(not FOSS un-audited) which is reported to have been used in HK.  The other and for most users the main Briar mode is using TOX protocol over the internet (or TOR); I believe that the mesh mode can bridge to TOX if even one user per mesh network has internet access.  There are alpha builds for Briar which will run on a computer but I don't think the code is ready to compile for ARM yet. Briar also has a by-invitation open forum communications mode similar to usenet where groups can collaborate and plan with the archive kept encrypted on the individual user's devices rather than a website.

You are correct about the nature of oligarchy and concentration of power in corporate and natural persons rather than the whole of the population.  FOSS is one of the quiet ways we can freely spread the tools of real democracy in a world where money, power of connections, and the coercive power of state and non-state violence are all erasing the gains over the last two centuries to a liberal world order which holds individual liberty as important.  I hope for us all to have and help develop the required communication and organization tools to give everyone an equalized advantage against the powerful for organizing non-violent dissent for the whole population's welfare rather than only those few able to have laws written for their own benefit and to eliminate competition for that power.  I am of the opinion that concentration of power in the hands of a few destabilizes the world and creates the conditions for revolutions which only change the people oppressing and also leads to wars both to take limited resources for the benefit of the few in power as well distracting the population from working for their own good.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hardwired software or functionality imposed by companies or authorities - by biketool - 06-11-2021, 03:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Repository" for Safe Software/Apps? MarsColonist 2 1,583 05-12-2022, 06:29 PM
Last Post: MarsColonist
  Favorite software? Scary Guy 0 979 02-16-2022, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  unable to install any software pine-user1 2 1,528 11-09-2021, 01:07 AM
Last Post: ryo
  software jesica 3 3,045 10-30-2021, 08:27 AM
Last Post: beta-user
  jumpdrive software might be faulty (or my pinephone hardware) zetabeta 3 3,318 07-20-2021, 03:14 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Latest PinePhone CE Manjaro - Charging issues: hardware or software? kern707 5 4,837 11-20-2020, 12:09 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Mobian on SD Card or Flashed To eMMC For Better Functionality . . . NobodyNew1 3 4,312 09-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: LinAdmin2
  Software options for thermal throttling? e1337 5 7,145 06-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Last Post: dukla2000
  Software back to basics Zweitaktmotor 4 6,620 12-13-2019, 03:57 PM
Last Post: bcnaz