Hardware fix for the screen backlight flicker
I totally agree with your remarks.  I'll put up a more detailed proposal for the actual hardware fixes, but please allow me to have some time for that, simply because I want us to start from a couple of viable fixes.  Of course, the proposal will need to be discussed before actually testing out anything.

Perhaps we could even end up with someone willing to test the proposed hardware modifications on their own PinePhone, instead of me receiving a hardware donation and using it to test the fixes.  I would be very happy if that would be the way to move forward, which will provide exactly what I'm looking for: sharing of the risk.  In other words, I am not looking for a free PinePhone; instead, I am looking to us solving the backlight flicker.

I would really appreciate if you would be willing to test out some of the proposed hardware fixes.  Of course, we would discuss them in detail before actually doing anything, so the risk of damaging your PinePhone should be as low as possible.

Again, I apologize for the way I came accross, and please allow me to explain further.  Asking for a PCBA 1.2b (or testing the hardware fix on it) is necessary because one of the end goals would be to have Pine64 incorporate the actual fix into one of the next PinePhone batches.  To do so, a fix needs to be tested on the latest available revision of PCBA, which is the 1.2b revision.

By the way, regarding the support for MMS, I'm afraid that I must be a bearer of bad news... Sad  The internals of the exchange of MMS messages are insanely complicated, involving IIRC connecting to an FTP server etc., meaning that, unfortunately, implementing support for MMS would require a ton of work.  Even Maemo, Nokia's variant of Linux that shipped on a couple of old Nokia phones (e.g. N900), initially had no support for MMS.  I really cannot recall whether Maemo received the support for MMS in later updates, but if that's true, the related source code (which should be open) could be used to speed up the implementation of MMS support on the PinePhone.

Edit: This page provides more details about MMS on Maemo.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hardware fix for the screen backlight flicker - by dsimic - 03-11-2021, 09:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microphone on Hardware Model 1.2 is Unusably Noisy In Some Circomstances ASmartSuitedSimpleton 4 3,910 03-23-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 384 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,356 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Screen dying already? marcih 153 146,039 02-23-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Shatur
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 3,163 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Is the hardware still being developed and refined? orbital 10 5,002 09-01-2022, 08:05 PM
Last Post: orbital
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,654 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  How to check hardware revision? jojuma 1 1,594 07-16-2022, 12:28 AM
Last Post: bokomaru
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,742 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Modem Hardware bad? Not ready for 5g?? linux76 8 4,717 05-31-2022, 06:41 PM
Last Post: SwordfishII